Re: Moving...DirecTV question

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 13, 2007
      Thanks everyone for the replies...this confirms what I figured, which
      is they were basically trying to get me to buy into their HR20. I
      realize I won't be able to get their mpeg4 signal/new HD content this
      year...but I'm content with my Tivo HD/antenna for locals setup and
      have read/heard nothing but bad things about the HR20.

      I was really thrown off when the CSR on the phone said to me, "You
      don't get any HD" with this dish. I told her, "I have your HD package
      how and a Tivo HD unit and that doesn't make sense if your dish
      supports both mpeg2 and mpeg4" but she made sure to insist it wasn't
      doable. I'll be giving them a call back...

      Thanks all!

      -Mike

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lee <stelee1969@...> wrote:

      > I believe what they are really telling you is that more and more
      > HD content will be MPEG-4 based. The HR10-250 does not work
      > with MPEG-4 obviously, only MPEG-2 HD. The 5 LNB dish used
      > on an HR20 will work on a HR10-250 but again, only for the MPEG-2
      > HD content. You don't have to get the new HR20 but understand
      > that eventually you won't get much HD content and definitely
      > not any of the new HD content they turn up later this year.
      >
      > thanks

      vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
      > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13, 2007
        From what I've read online...even though there's been a steady stream
        of updates from DirecTV, audio dropouts, video dropouts, screen
        freezes, audio stuttering, inaccurate trickplay, and shows not
        recording/being cut off still continue to haunt this thing.

        I will still never understand why they ditched Tivo...yes, I know the
        reasoning business-wise, but it was still a lame decision. I really
        hope Liberty taking ownership gets Tivo back into DirecTV in the next
        couple years...

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Deepak Munjal" <dmunjal@...> wrote:

        > Why don't you want anything to do with the HR20? I was a Tivo
        biggot for
        > years but I've made the change and am quite happy. The only thing I
        miss is
        > dual live buffers but there are plenty of other features that
        improve on the
        > HR10. Give it a go.
        >
        > Deepak

      • Deepak Munjal
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 13, 2007
          I agree that the HR20 had a lot of issues when it first arrived but the
          fixes and enhancements have been faster than any product I've seen, even
          Tivo.

          For me, it's all about content. The Tivo interface was brilliant and simple
          but if I can get double the HD content on the HR20, I'll put up up with
          learning a new interface.

          Why not try one alongside the HR10? Especially with all the new MPEG4
          channels coming. And it still does OTA.

          updates from DirecTV, audio dropouts, video dropouts, screen freezes, audio
          stuttering, inaccurate trickplay, and shows not recording/being cut off
          still continue to haunt this thing.

          I will still never understand why they ditched Tivo...yes, I know the
          reasoning business-wise, but it was still a lame decision. I really hope
          Liberty taking ownership gets Tivo back into DirecTV in the next couple
          years...

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Deepak Munjal" <dmunjal@...> wrote:

          > Why don't you want anything to do with the HR20? I was a Tivo
          biggot for
          > years but I've made the change and am quite happy. The only thing I
          miss is
          > dual live buffers but there are plenty of other features that
          improve on the
          > HR10. Give it a go.
          >
          > Deepak

        • Steve Lee
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 13, 2007

            I completely agree and the HR20 has been ok for me too after they
            have fixed most of the big issues.

            updates from DirecTV, audio dropouts, video dropouts, screen freezes, audio
            stuttering, inaccurate trickplay, and shows not recording/being cut off
            still continue to haunt this thing.

            I will still never understand why they ditched Tivo...yes, I know the
            reasoning business-wise, but it was still a lame decision. I really hope
            Liberty taking ownership gets Tivo back into DirecTV in the next couple
            years...

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@ yahoogroups. com, "Deepak Munjal" <dmunjal@... > wrote:

            > Why don't you want anything to do with the HR20? I was a Tivo
            biggot for
            > years but I've made the change and am quite happy. The only thing I
            miss is
            > dual live buffers but there are plenty of other features that
            improve on the
            > HR10. Give it a go.
            >
            > Deepak

            Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
          • Swank, Richard (NBC Universal, KNTV)
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 14, 2007
              Remember you will need the small "S" band filters on both or all inputs of all HD receivers soon.  These will be required to take advantage of the new Mpeg 4 signals soon.  DirecTV is preparing to light up the new "S" band satellites soon.  Of course you will need one of the 3-LNB antennas as well.  A lot of that HD capacity will be used for additional local HD content in their spots but there will also be system wide HD additions that will only be available with these hardware additions.

              Do not panic as they are probably there just check to make sure and you are good to go when new channels are added.

              Richard Swank
              Rf Systems Engineer
              KNTV, KNTV-DT
              San Jose - Oakland - San Francisco

              ----
              href="mailto:HDTV-in-SFbay%40yahoogroups.com">HDTV-in-SFbay@ yahoogroups. com

              Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 12:53:37 PM
              > Subject: [HDTV-in-SFbay]
              Moving...DirecTV question

              > Hey
              all,

              > So I'm moving in the next couple weeks,
              and called up DirecTV to setup

              > a move. They made sure to tell
              me that that my HR10-250 will not work

              > on their 5LNB dish and
              that it's now "obsolete," so I won't be able to

              > receive
              HD.

              > Can anyone confirm this? They basically
              want me to sign up for 2 more

              > years and get their DirecTV HR20
              receiver which I want nothing to do

              > with. I prefer to stick
              with my "obsolete" Tivo/antenna setup, but

              > unfortunately the
              dish I have now won't work with the roommate's H20

              > receiver for
              her TV, which is why I called in the first place...

              > Thanks,
              >

              > -Mike

              > <!--
              >
              > #ygrp-mlmsg
              {font-size:13px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean,
              sans-serif;}
              > #ygrp-mlmsg table
              {font-size:inherit; font:100% ;}
              > #ygrp-mlmsg select, input,
              textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica,
              clean, sans-serif;}
              > #ygrp-mlmsg
              pre, code {font:115% monospace;}
              > #ygrp-mlmsg *
              {line-height: 1.22em;}
              > #ygrp-text{

              font-family: Georgia;
              > }
              > #ygrp-text p{
              > margin:0 0 1em
              0;}
              > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              > font-family: Arial;

              clear:both;}
              > #ygrp-vitnav{

              padding-top: 10px;font- family:Verdana; font-size: 77%;margin: 0;}

              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              > padding:0 1px;}
              > #ygrp-actbar{

              clear:both;margin: 25px
              0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text- align:right; }

              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              > float:left;white- space:nowrap; }

              .bld{font-weight: bold;}
              > #ygrp-grft{

              font-family: Verdana;font- size:77%; padding:15px 0;}

              #ygrp-ft{

              font-family: verdana;font- size:77%; border-top: 1px solid #666;
              > padding:5px 0;
              > }
              > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{

              padding-bottom: 10px;}

              > #ygrp-vital{

              background-color: #e0ecee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:2px 0 8px 8px;}
              > #ygrp-vital
              #vithd{

              font-size:77% ;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform: uppercase; }

              #ygrp-vital ul{
              > padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}
              > #ygrp-vital ul
              li{
              > list-style-type: none;clear: both;border: 1px solid
              #e0ecee;
              > }
              > #ygrp-vital ul li
              .ct{

              font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text- align:right; padding-right: .5em;}

              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              {
              > text-decoration: none;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital
              a:hover{
              > text-decoration: underline; }

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              > color:#999;font- size:77%; }

              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              > padding:6px
              13px;background- color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom: 20px;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }

              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              > list-style-type: square;padding: 6px
              0;font-size: 77%;}

              {
              > background-color: #eee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:0
              8px;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              > padding:8px 0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor
              .ad #hd1{

              font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size: 100%;line- height:122% ;}

              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              > text-decoration: none;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor
              .ad a:hover{
              > text-decoration: underline; }
              > #ygrp-sponsor
              .ad p{
              {
              > margin:0 0 0 0;}
              > #ygrp-text tt{

              font-size:120% ;}
              > blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}
              > .replbq
              {margin:4;}
              > -->

              Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative
              vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

              href="http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/">http://autos. yahoo.com/ green_center/