Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Local HDTV stations on HR20

  • Larry Katzeff
    Message 1 of 19 , May 9, 2007
      I have 2 HR20's, one H20 and HR10-250. I do not experience any OTA problems via Directv boxes at this time.
      The signal is not being compressed via Directv boxes unless they are MPEG4 feeds. OTA via your  antenna should provide you with the best signal.

      bigfox90210 <cbandman1949@...> wrote:
      encouuntering the same problem with both Receivers, Dish and DirecTV,
      knowing the fact that most of the folks that works with these receivers
      seem to lack any knind of knowledge as to the fuctionality with the
      receivers. I have come to find out that the Over-The Air Broadcast seem
      to have way to much compression with the akudio and video, whiched seem
      to cause the problems that John along with myself to the problem that
      we are encountering. I can only hope that there is someone out there
      that is able to help us with this provlem.--- In HDTV-in-
      SFbay@yahoogroups. com, "JOHN MC CAMMON" <jhn_mccammon@ ...> wrote:

      > I am having a problem with the DIRECTV HR20 receiving local High
      > Definition stations. The picture will be fine and tiling will start
      > and the sound has intermittent drop outs. Finally all hidef locals are
      > completely gone. I have tried unplugging the power with no success. I
      > don't know whether there is a receiver problem or a DIRECTV problem.
      > If anyone else is experiencing this, I would like to know.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > John

      Larry Katzeff

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

    • john mccammon
      Message 2 of 19 , May 10, 2007
        This is John again with the hr20 local HD problem. I called Directv and got a fairly knowledgeable Technical Person. We went through the test of satellite strength. On 103 where the locals are, I had no signal. We setup a service call for Saturday. When the Tech arrived, he checked the strength and got 44. The picture was still breaking up. He went to the roof and adjusted the dish. The strength was now 77 and the picture good. Everything was OK until Wednesday night. The problem started again and the strength was down to 32. Today , I tried again and the picture is OK and the strength 51. I called DTV last night and they are scheduling another service call . I have no idea what is wrong. Maybe an intermittent connection, a moving dish, satellite signal variation, defective receiver or any number of other things.

        John McCammon

        P.S. thanks for your input.

        bigfox90210 <cbandman1949@...> wrote:
        encouuntering the same problem with both Receivers, Dish and DirecTV,
        knowing the fact that most of the folks that works with these receivers
        seem to lack any knind of knowledge as to the fuctionality with the
        receivers. I have come to find out that the Over-The Air Broadcast seem
        to have way to much compression with the akudio and video, whiched seem
        to cause the problems that John along with myself to the problem that
        we are encountering. I can only hope that there is someone out there
        that is able to help us with this provlem.--- In HDTV-in-
        SFbay@yahoogroups. com, "JOHN MC CAMMON" <jhn_mccammon@ ...> wrote:

        > I am having a problem with the DIRECTV HR20 receiving local High
        > Definition stations. The picture will be fine and tiling will start
        > and the sound has intermittent drop outs. Finally all hidef locals are
        > completely gone. I have tried unplugging the power with no success. I
        > don't know whether there is a receiver problem or a DIRECTV problem.
        > If anyone else is experiencing this, I would like to know.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > John

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      • Don Hackler
        Message 3 of 19 , May 10, 2007
          I've had problems with a intermittent LNB on the DirecTV antenna. It
          would work when it was hot, but would crap out when it cooled down at
          night. It started acting up when it got real hot a couple of summers ago.

          - Don

          john mccammon wrote:
          > This is John again with the hr20 local HD problem. I called Directv and
          > got a fairly knowledgeable Technical Person. We went through the test of
          > satellite strength. On 103 where the locals are, I had no signal. We
          > setup a service call for Saturday. When the Tech arrived, he checked the
          > strength and got 44. The picture was still breaking up. He went to the
          > roof and adjusted the dish. The strength was now 77 and the picture
          > good. Everything was OK until Wednesday night. The problem started again
          > and the strength was down to 32. Today , I tried again and the picture
          > is OK and the strength 51. I called DTV last night and they are
          > scheduling another service call . I have no idea what is wrong. Maybe an
          > intermittent connection, a moving dish, satellite signal variation,
          > defective receiver or any number of other things.
          >
          > John McCammon

        • bigfox90210
          Message 4 of 19 , May 11, 2007
            this message is directed to john with a fallow up message with the
            problem that you are still encountering with DirecTV. In being a
            Cband dish youser, not the little dishes, however what i mean is the
            used of using a 7 to 10 foot dish whiched allows a user like me to
            move to 54 different satellites, within the satellite arc. I have
            never encounter such a problem with the A/V, with the used of my wife
            and my Cband dish. Most of the A/V carrier had a clean transport,
            with no extra help from other divices, as with Dish and Direct. I
            would like to mentoin that with Cband the transport of the signal is
            more direct and in line of site, without the aid of a repeator,
            whiched Dish and DirecTV used to distribut their signal to their many
            subscribers. Personaly I don't feel that the small pizza pan dishes
            should have the lable of Satellite TV. I personaly feel that you are
            going to spin your weels on this one, given the fact that most of the
            folks that work with Directv lack the knowledge of knowing the in's
            and out's or their receivers that are current on the market. My wife
            and I had made several calls to
            Directv with the hope that they would understan the problem with our
            equipment.Those so call tech personal that came out to your house
            should had rectified the problem the first time when you made the
            call and should known what to do to cleared up this problem that you
            are still having. I personaly feel that the fualt is at their
            repeator site that is given you and I the problem , as well with our
            friend in Seattle Washingtom, who is having somewhat the same issues
            with the audio carrier, with a couble of his movie channels. Well I
            hope that this help and please get back with me for I feel that I
            need to give you some help and I could used some expert advise as
            well. Thanks.--- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, john mccammon

            Message 5 of 19 , May 20, 2007
              <jhn_mccammon@...> wrote:

              > I am having a problem with the DIRECTV HR20 receiving local High
              > Definition stations. The picture will be fine and tiling will start
              > and the sound has intermittent drop outs. Finally all hidef locals are
              > completely gone. I have tried unplugging the power with no success. I
              > don't know whether there is a receiver problem or a DIRECTV problem.
              > If anyone else is experiencing this, I would like to know.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > John

              I This a fallow up message that was poasted on the 10th of May, with
              the hope that John will be able to indicated that there is another
              person out this way who is having the same issues with the same
              receiver. I come to fine out theat there seem to be way to much
              compression as to the way the signal is being distributed to their many
              subscribers, ans indicated with the fallowing:1. In your Noise
              Reduction, the volume fluctuates up and down, being your compandor or
              compensation circuit, the attack time is slow.

              2.The bit rate must be corrected by making it bigger
              3 The distribution of your signal is being sent out on a piggy back
              system, instead of DIRECT LINE OF SITE., using a repeator. Instead of
              Line of Site.
              4. A/V Balance Problems Miss Calibration For the Fallowing Channels
              w/Stereo fluctuation
              622,623,Yes-(L/R out of sink with R down by –5)

              With the help from a friend who resides from the Seattle Washington
              area, we have come to discover the left channel is somwhat higher then
              the right channel. Using headphones connected to your main receiver you
              check the balance by switching your system to the monophonic stage, to
              whiched that the high's and lows' will dropped conderately, whiched
              that The L/R channels are not properly out of phaze. When using a big
              distrue satellite system, there wasn't any kind of a problem, as
              indicaged with the used of a small DBS system through Dish Network and
              DirecTV.
            • john mccammon
              Message 6 of 19 , May 20, 2007
                Bigfox,
                This is John again with the former HR20 Locals problem. A tech was sent out a week ago Saturday. He did nothing but look at the signal strength on the 103. It was 33 and he said that was good. The local was on at the time. He left and the locals went off again. I called DTV and they said the signal should be a minimum of 70. Again a tech was sent out. Same guy who went immediately to the roof and worked on the dish. Signal strength then and now is 98. I asked what he did and he said adjusted a loop. I have no idea what he meant but it worked. Problem solved so far.

                John

                Message 7 of 19 , May 26, 2007
                  <jhn_mccammon@...> wrote:
                  >This message is directed to john again I hope you where able to let
                  your tech person know of of the many problems that you where having,
                  and that he was able to your problenm. I would like to know if you
                  route the audio through stereo sound system and to check the level
                  with most of the channels. personally I don't feel that DirecTV send
                  out a true digital audio sound carrier, as I have explained to you,
                  with me not having any problems with a C-band systm. Is there by any
                  chance if you could have a chat with the tech person who camed out to
                  fixed your small many dish, for I would love to have some information.

                • john mccammon
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 27, 2007
                    bigfox,

                    I do run my sound through a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver. I do this through HDMI. The receiver indicates that the audio is Dolby Digital when receiving High Definition. I hope this helps.

                    John

                    <jhn_mccammon@ ...> wrote:
> [...]
                    of
                    > Line of Site.
                    > 4. A/V Balance Problems Miss Calibration For the Fallowing Channels
                    > w/Stereo fluctuation
                    > 622,623,Yes- (L/R out of sink with R down by –5)
                    >
                    > With the help from a friend who resides from the Seattle Washington
                    > area, we have come to discover the left channel is somwhat higher
                    then
                    > the right channel. Using headphones connected to your main receiver
                    you
                    > check the balance by switching your system to the monophonic stage,
                    > whiched that the high's and lows' will dropped conderately, whiched
                    > that The L/R channels are not properly out of phaze. When using a
                    big
                    > distrue satellite system, there wasn't any kind of a problem, as
                    > indicaged with the used of a small DBS system through Dish Network

                    Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                    in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

                  • bigfox90210
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 27, 2007
                      <jhn_mccammon@...> wrote:

                      > bigfox,
                      > Thanks for the informatio. Now I have a situation that I running
                      my dell monitor, which has a resolution of 1080x 1050 and has the
                      hdmi input and I would like to know from you is there a hdtv preampt
                      that I could hook up to my 900 Per channel ampt that would allowed me
                      to receive the hdtv audio part for the sound? I'm having some trouble
                      with the left chnnel being about 2DB higher then rightYet when
                      running the analog channels throuugh my Samsung DVD recorder the
                      stereo channels are completely balance, but not through the DVR HDTV
                      Receiver from Directv and I did had asked for a tech person to come
                      out and check out the receiver, and all I receive with installers
                      instead, and I find this quite frustraiting, and just to let you know
                      that I'm receiving all of my channels at 92% whiched is good, however
                      the hdtv tuner for the over the airbroadcast part isn't that good.
> [...]
                      > > area, we have come to discover the left channel is somwhat higher
                      > then
                      > > the right channel. Using headphones connected to your main
                      receiver
                      > you
                      > > check the balance by switching your system to the monophonic
                      stage,
                      > > whiched that the high's and lows' will dropped conderately,
                      whiched
                      > > that The L/R channels are not properly out of phaze. When using a
                      > big
                      > > distrue satellite system, there wasn't any kind of a problem, as
                      > > indicaged with the used of a small DBS system through Dish
                      Network
                      > and
                      > > DirecTV.
                      > >

                      > > ---------------------------------
                      > > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo!
                      Travel.

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 30, 2007
                        <jhn_mccammon@...> wrote:

                        > bigfox,
                        >
                        > I do run my sound through a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver. I do this
                        through HDMI. The receiver indicates that the audio is Dolby Digital
                        when receiving High Definition. I hope this helps.

                        > John
                        >
                        > bigfox90210 <cbandman1949@...> wrote:
                        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, john mccammon
                        > <jhn_mccammon@> wrote:
                        > >This message is directed to john again I hope you where able to
                        let
                        > your tech person know of of the many problems that you where
                        having,
                        > and that he was able to your problenm. I would like to know if you
                        > route the audio through stereo sound system and to check the level
                        > with most of the channels. personally I don't feel that DirecTV
                        send
                        > out a true digital audio sound carrier, as I have explained to you,
                        > with me not having any problems with a C-band systm. Is there by
                        any
                        > chance if you could have a chat with the tech person who camed out
                        > fixed your small many dish, for I would love to have some
                        information.
                        > > Bigfox,
                        > > This is John again with the former HR20 Locals problem. A tech
                        > was sent out a week ago Saturday. He did nothing but look at the
                        > signal strength on the 103. It was 33 and he said that was good.
                        The
                        > local was on at the time. He left and the locals went off again. I
                        > called DTV and they said the signal should be a minimum of 70.
                        Again
                        > a tech was sent out. Same guy who went immediately to the roof and
                        > worked on the dish. Signal strength then and now is 98. I asked
                        what
                        > he did and he said adjusted a loop. I have no idea what he meant
                        but
                        > it worked. Problem solved so far.
                        > >
                        > > John
                        > > This message is John and the group When using an OTA andenna
                        through the Samsung DVR analog tuner, the level from the L/R channdls
                        are equal, but when running the OTA through the HR20S DirecTV HD DVR
                        recorder the L/R channels comd out phase, when using the analog side
                        as well the HD side of the tuner from this model. I would like to
                        know as to the reason for this. This the reason I was asking john as
                        to if the L/R Front channels where level, when listen through a
                        headset, to which I was also using. Thanks

                      • Jan Mountjoy
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 30, 2007
                          I've got roofers pulling off my roof today. Which brings up an
                          antenna question: The roofers saw my Dish satellites, so they
                          thought I no longer needed my old TV antenna. But I'm pulling off FM
                          signals for 3 FM radios in the house from that antenna. So I've
                          told them to put it to save it and put it back up. But...........
                          we're going to be getting our first HD TV this fall. And I don't
                          want to pay DISH a fortune for their HD programming; so we'll be
                          putting up a new HDTV rooftop antenna to pull off our own
                          signals. So my question is: Will I be able to get an FM signal off
                          an HD-TV antenna, so I can abandon my old antenna? Or will I have to
                          keep my old antenna too?

                          Jan
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007
                            There is no such thing as an HDTV antenna. The antenna you presently
                            have just might do for you your future needs. Are you able to get TV
                            stations today with it? If so, you probably can get those same
                            stations on their digital channels as well.

                            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Jan Mountjoy <talisman@...> wrote:

                            > I've got roofers pulling off my roof today. Which brings up an
                            > antenna question: The roofers saw my Dish satellites, so they
                            > thought I no longer needed my old TV antenna. But I'm pulling off FM
                            > signals for 3 FM radios in the house from that antenna. So I've
                            > told them to put it to save it and put it back up. But...........
                            > we're going to be getting our first HD TV this fall. And I don't
                            > want to pay DISH a fortune for their HD programming; so we'll be
                            > putting up a new HDTV rooftop antenna to pull off our own
                            > signals. So my question is: Will I be able to get an FM signal off
                            > an HD-TV antenna, so I can abandon my old antenna? Or will I have to
                            > keep my old antenna too?
                            >
                            > Jan

                          • red2grass
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007
                              Don't discard your old antenna. It may be all you need for your HD
                              reception. There is no such thing as HDTV antenna. The best way is
                              to directly connect your HDTV to the antenna and see what channels
                              it gets. Mean time if you really want to know if this antenna is
                              good enough for your future HDTV, connect it to your plain old NTSC
                              TV and check out these analog channels. channel 7, channel 11,
                              channel 32, channel 38, channel 44. The current and future ABC, CBS,
                              NBC, FOX and PBS digital channels will be close to these channels.
                              If you see clear pictures without much snow and ghosts, your HDTV
                              will like this antenna.
                              wrote:

                              > I've got roofers pulling off my roof today. Which brings up an
                              > antenna question: The roofers saw my Dish satellites, so they
                              > thought I no longer needed my old TV antenna. But I'm pulling off
                              FM
                              > signals for 3 FM radios in the house from that antenna. So I've
                              > told them to put it to save it and put it back up. But...........
                              > we're going to be getting our first HD TV this fall. And I don't
                              > want to pay DISH a fortune for their HD programming; so we'll be
                              > putting up a new HDTV rooftop antenna to pull off our own
                              > signals. So my question is: Will I be able to get an FM signal
                              off
                              > an HD-TV antenna, so I can abandon my old antenna? Or will I have
                              > keep my old antenna too?
                              >
                              > Jan

                            • Bennett Price
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 2, 2007
                                Is your current antenna FM only or is it VHF, FM, UHF? If FM only, it
                                may perform better on FM than
                                the new VHF-UHF antenna you wish to mount for TV. (Or it may optimally
                                point in a different direction than
                                a TV antenna, depending on where the FM transmitters are located.) As
                                others have suggested, try the current
                                antenna on the higher VHF (7-13) and UHF (stations 14-60); if you get a
                                half decent picture on your current set
                                you won't need a new antenna.

                                You're right that satellite HD is expensive but it does offer channels
                                not available over the air, that may or may not
                                interest you.

                                --
                                Bennett J. Price, Ph.D. bennett.price@...
                              • wilfsdad1965
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                                  I use a Fanfare FM-2g outdoor for FM, it's only 90 bones and i pick up
                                  KFJC (los altos hills) in el cerrito, plus about 25 other fm stations.
                                  not sure what's goign to happen if and whe nhd radio takes off big
                                  time. Don't fall for the hdtv antenna scam, a regular rooftop antenna
                                  will do the job. and don't buy dish or cable hd packages when OTA is
                                  free, unless you really can't live without them. make the market work
                                  in yr favor.

                                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Bennett Price
                                  <bennett.price@...> wrote:

                                  > Is your current antenna FM only or is it VHF, FM, UHF? If FM only, it
                                  > may perform better on FM than
                                  > the new VHF-UHF antenna you wish to mount for TV. (Or it may
                                  optimally
                                  > point in a different direction than
                                  > a TV antenna, depending on where the FM transmitters are located.) As
                                  > others have suggested, try the current
                                  > antenna on the higher VHF (7-13) and UHF (stations 14-60); if you get a
                                  > half decent picture on your current set
                                  > you won't need a new antenna.
                                  >
                                  > You're right that satellite HD is expensive but it does offer channels
                                  > not available over the air, that may or may not
                                  > interest you.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Bennett J. Price, Ph.D. bennett.price@...

                                • scottc6666
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Jan Mountjoy <talisman@...> wrote:

                                    > I've got roofers pulling off my roof today. Which brings up an
                                    > antenna question: The roofers saw my Dish satellites, so they
                                    > thought I no longer needed my old TV antenna. But I'm pulling off FM
                                    > signals for 3 FM radios in the house from that antenna. So I've
                                    > told them to put it to save it and put it back up. But...........
                                    > we're going to be getting our first HD TV this fall. And I don't
                                    > want to pay DISH a fortune for their HD programming; so we'll be
                                    > putting up a new HDTV rooftop antenna to pull off our own
                                    > signals. So my question is: Will I be able to get an FM signal off
                                    > an HD-TV antenna, so I can abandon my old antenna? Or will I have to
                                    > keep my old antenna too?
                                    >
                                    > Jan

                                    I use a 20+ year old Winegard UHF-VHF-FM antenna on my roof to pull in
                                    all of the HD stations from Sutro and San Bruno with virtually no
                                    problems. 20 years ago there was no such a thing as HDTV so there is no
                                    such thing now as an HDTV antenna. FM reception is great as well so
                                    just get a good UHF-VHF antenna and you'll probably be ok. Keep in mind
                                    that FM reception won't be a problem but HDTV might be depending on
                                    where you live in the Bay Area and what you have around you. I'd
                                    recommend a rotor too for fine tuning if need be. Oh yeah, we re-roofed
                                    last summer and once the roofers were done, I had the antenna
                                    reinstalled professionally because there was no way I was getting on
                                    the roof to do that.