Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Audio dropouts on various HD broadcasts on DirecTV HR20

  • Lyndon Lloyd
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 5, 2007
      I experienced exactly the same issues you describe with Heroes and
      Leno last week.

      The OTA version of Heroes on my HR10-250 was clear as a bell but the
      MPEG4/HR20 version was horrible. The repeat of The Black Donnellys on
      Thursday on KNTV seemed a little better but not great.

      I didn't watch any of these shows live so don't know if it's the DVR,
      the satellite signal, the latest software release or what.

      LL

      > I did notice on KNTV only, a real problem with the MPEG4 transmission
      > (particularly on Jay Leno); when there are moving objects in the
      > picture, a noise pattern appears over the whole picture (not just on
      > the moving part). It is particularly bad on zooms. Sometimes the
      > lower part of the picture is covered with a pixellated-like noise
      > pattern.
    • keenan424
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 6, 2007
        I suppose it could, but in most all cases, the PQ from Comcast is as
        good as it gets other than OTA. If there's a problem such as you
        mention, my guess would be there is a signal/connection problem. To
        the best of my knowledge, Comcast sends the same signal to Cloverdale
        as it sends to Morgan Hill.

        When you say "horrible", what are the characteristics that make it
        horrible? Has Comcast been contacted to fix the problem(s)?

        Jim

        yahoogroups.com, "Richard Swank" <rswank@> wrote:

        > > I too have noticed the degrading of KNTV-DT signal as of late.
        > Probably a
        > > bandwidth reduction so the can add another HD channel they make
        > money on.

        yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of gp4rts

        yahoogroups.com, Jeff Kirk <jeffkirk1@> wrote:

        > > > On the other hand, the video is clearly more compressed than
        the OTA
        > > > HD streams. Perhaps that's the "solution": the MPEG4 streams are
        > less
        > > > of a strain on the box. Too bad I now get weird moire patterns and
        > > > shimmer in busy backgrounds (extremely noticeable on the Saturday
        > > > Night Live broadcast I recorded last night during the "Stock
        Footage