Re: Next generation Samsung HDTV tuners...

  • rdmears
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "asedik" <asedik@y...> wrote:

      > using the SIR T-150 for about a month...
      > One annoying feature is the manual switch on the back
      > to change from 480i/480p/720p/1080i. I have a Sony 4:3 RPTV
      > and when watching SD, the picture is not full screen,
      > unless I switch from 1080 to 480.

      You should never have to change that switch in the back
      except when you first set up your system - it's just there to
      match the output of the tuner to the best input of your TV.
      If you have a TV with 1080i inputs, set it to that & leave it.

      Make sure you did set up the box to match the shape of your screen;
      in your case, 4:3 instead of 16:9 widescreen: with the Menu button
      on your remote, pick Setup -> Screen Format.

      To stretch a SD picture that's broadcast as fake-HD with black
      pillar bars on the sides, pick Setup -> Screen Format -> Zoom.
      That will clip off the bars and stretch the picture back to normal.
      Actually, you can watch HD better this way too, you'll just lose
      a little off each side, but most shows are framed with 4:3 TV's
      in mind. The T150 box won't letterbox a HD picture on a 4:3 screen,
      it only squishes or stretches horizontally, not vertically
      *UNLESS* you use lower 480 rez output with that switch in back.
      Of course, if you letterbox HD you've already down-rez'd some.

      My pet peeve; why don't the stations just switch their signal to
      match the formats of their shows? --But those horrifically
      expensive transmitters can't switch from SD to HD & back
      automatically (I'm told), somebody has to manually throw
      a switch at the right time! Some channels like 7 & 20
      broadcast both HD & SD using subchannels. Kind of a workaround.

      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Ali Shamsi <netarc@y...> wrote:
      > > A few days ago there was a thread on next-gen tuners, and I
      > > don't think anyone mentioned the upcoming Samsung tuners?
      > > I believe the SIR-T151 is available now, while the SIR-T165 (?)
      > > is due in ~a month. The latter, I think, combines OTA,
      > > DirecTV, DVI (and firewire?).
      > >
      > > Anyone in the SF area been using these (or previous-gen) Samsung
      > > tuners? What's your experience been with these?

      I can only compare the T150 and the Hipix tuners. Both seem to do
      the same good job at tuning. Once you lock on to a good signal,
      bits are bits, the picture looks the same.

      The T150 will do closed captions though and multiple language tracks
      which the Hipix doesn't do. Then again, the Hipix RECORDS (digital
      channels) and also tunes analog Tv.

      ..rick (sf)