Re: HD DVR

    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 3, 2007
      Sorry, Randy, I have to disagree with you. I don't know about Alameda
      cable, but Dish Network has got Comcast beat comin' and goin'! Dish has
      the ViP622, an HD DVR that works great, is easy to use, doesn't crash,
      and it has three tuners and a really good EPG. Dish also offers 30 HD
      channels before you even think about the movie channels or PPV! I pay a
      lot less for Dish than most Comcast customers pay for their service,
      too. My monthly bill is $67.

      I don't think anyone beats that deal.

      Randy Spencer wrote:

      > The best answer currently is Comcast or their competitors (I use the local
      > Alameda cable), they have lots of HDTV and you pay by the month. Someday
      > someone will come out with a good box and you can drop Comcast like a hot
      > potato but for now they are the best deal going... Kinda sad. The software
      > sucks, the boxes regularly crash (at least when using digital connections),
      > and they have really small storage with no current expandability (unless you
      > open the box that you don't own).
      >
      > But they do have two tuners and can record two HDTV shows at the same time
      > while watching another, and once you pay for one, a second one is cheap, so
      > get one for the bedroom and then you have twice the storage. Record the
      > shows you don't care about the bigscreenness so much up there.
      >
      > My 2 cents anyway.
      >
      > -Randy
    • Steve Lee
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 3, 2007

        Actually, Comcast could have a MUCH better offering if
        they used the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD series STBs.  SA
        is light years ahead of Moto on their stability, EPG, and
        other functions.  It is just that Moto is the platform for
        CA and such in the BA so Comcast must use their STBs.

        > The best answer currently is Comcast or their competitors (I use
        the local
        > Alameda cable), they have lots of HDTV and you pay by the month.
        Someday
        > someone will come out with a good box and you can drop Comcast like
        a hot
        > potato but for now they are the best deal going...

        A box like you describe does exist, for cable (and OTA) customers at
        least. It's the Tivo Series 3, but you probably don't want to pay
        what it costs ($799 retail, though you can get it discounted for
        around $650 if you look around). Plus the monthly Tivo fees.

        > Kinda sad. The software
        > sucks, the boxes regularly crash (at least when using digital
        connections) ,
        > and they have really small storage with no current expandability
        (unless you
        > open the box that you don't own).

        I don't have any of these problems with my Tivo Series 3. It was
        painful shelling out the money for it, but I am very happy I bought it
        - it's definitely made the HD experience much more smooth and
        trouble-free in my home. I've had only one problem with recording a
        show in the two months I've owned mine.

        Michael Portuesi

        http://mail.yahoo.com