Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Digest Number 2068

  • Raymond Peck
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006
      I'm cc'ing some editors on this hoping to get the right one for the story
      that I'm commenting on.  Hopefully they can pass this on to the right
      person.

      >on a regular sized SD TV i agree... but on a HDTV, forget it.  once
      >people get a taste of true HD content on their fancy new lcd or plasma
      >panels they will not go back.

      Anyone see the article yesterday in the Mercury News on HD displays?
      Boy, it sure would be nice if the people writing these articles knew what
      they were talking about. . .  A couple examples:

      1. The author writes that 1080 displays were not much clearer than 720
      displays.  Of course, the displays he compared maxed out at 42". . .
      I can assure the author that 720p and 1080i look *very* different on my 58"
      RPTV.  Making a blanket statement that 1080 isn't worth paying for after
      looking at 3 small sets is irresponsible.

      2. The author states that "most programming is in 720p, not 1080".  Let's
      see, on local OTA, my Comcast subscription and via DirecTV we have at
      minimum:

      720p
      FOX
      ABC

      1080i
      PBS
      CBS
      NBC
      INHD1
      INHD2
      SHOW
      HBO
      Cinemax
      ESPN1
      ESPN2
      DISC-HD
      HDNET

      Doesn't take a ruler to see which list is longer, does it?

      IMO it's an embarrassment for the newspaper of Silicon Valley to print such
      misinformation about such a confusing yet popular and important changing
      technology.

    • Lance Murphy
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006

        On Comcast ESPN-HD is 720p

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006
          ESPN 1 and 2 are both in 720p format, as is National Geographic HD, when that channel is made available to Comcast subs at some point in the future.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006
            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Rodrigues <jrodrigues@...>
            wrote:

            > ESPN 1 and 2 are both in 720p format, as is National Geographic HD,
            when that channel is made available to Comcast subs at some point in
            the future.

            I also understand that Food Network and HGTV's HD channels are in 720p
            format, though Comcast doesn't carry them.

            Also, KRON-DT switched from 1080i to 720p when they became a MyNetwork
            affiliate.

            But it is definitely true that 1080i seems to be the dominant format.

            The HDTV primer page on ATSC has a nice little summary comparing the
            two formats:

            http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html

            I don't want to start 720p vs. 1080i war, but a long time ago (in the
            pre-HD days) I used to do video software development, and dealing with
            interlaced content in software is a royal pain.

            I think both formats look great on my HD (720p native) set.

            Michael Portuesi