Re: Sutro Tower

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 39 , Nov 4, 2006

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

      < snip >
      > He shows some interior shots of some transmitters, but there are no
      > labels to say which station he was at.
      > Larry
      > SF

      Larry,

      The first set of pictures showing Harris Platinum solid-state VHF transmitters is from a station you are very familiar with.    :-)

      I'm pretty sure what the callsign is for the room showing a UHF Klystron amplifier but I would need to verify.

      Also, some of the pictures are of a Harris Sigma UHF transmitter using an IOT (Inductive Output Tube) as an amplifier.  This is a transmitter used by many DTV stations, not only at Sutro but everywhere in the country.

      LopakaBob

    • Don Hackler
      Message 39 of 39 , Nov 8, 2006
        Kevin Diggs wrote:

        >Larry Kenney wrote:
        >

        >>Those two shots of the tower were taken from near the top of Twin Peaks
        >>when they were doing the seismic retrofit work.
        >>
        >>Larry
        >>

        >Do you know what the seismic retrofit work entailed? Those cross brace
        >cables part of it?
        >
        >kevin

        The cross brace cables are part of the original structure. The retro-fit
        didn't really change anything visible from outside the tower. From what
        I saw during the work, some of the joints and braces were beefed up, and
        some of the hardware was replaced and/or upgraded. Given the scale of
        the overall structure, the retrofits were pretty subtle.

        - Don