Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Sutro Tower channels

  • Don Hackler
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 31, 2006
      Bob Weissman wrote:
      >> Moving the antenna up or down a few feet might make a huge difference, and
      >>
      > trying a
      >
      >> different spot on the roof can help too.
      >>
      >> Sometimes the easiest thing to do is hook up an analog television on the roof
      >>
      > and play
      >
      >> with the antenna. You want to minimize the ghosting on the analog channels
      >>
      > from Sutro.
      >
      >> The ghosts are how multipath shows up on analog TV. If you can get a
      >>
      > reasonably clean
      >
      >> signal on the analog channels, the digitals should work great.
      >>

      > The definition of "easiest" may depend on where you are.
      >
      > In my area, the "easiest" thing to do is heave a great sigh, open the checkbook,
      > and get cable.
      >
      > Here in northwest Sunnyvale, with all the trees and hills, I get neither OTA nor
      > Sat reliably. Bring me the signal on a wire, sez I.

      I'm in Sunnyvale, near Lawrence and 101. No problems at all getting HD
      OTA from Sutro, San Bruno,
      Monument, Mt. Allison, Mt. Diablo with an outside antenna about 25 feet
      up. I could only get a few
      signals here with an indoor antenna.

      Direct and Dish work fine here, too.

      > Comcast is much improved in the last 5 years or so. My biggest gripe with them
      > is the small number of HD channels they carry in my bandwidth-challenged town.
      >
      > PS to Don: how are we going to check signal strength after the digital
      > apocalypse? The "minimize analog ghosts" trick won't work any more..

      You better get your antennas working before then... :)

      Actually, I hope that there will be better diagnostics than the "signal
      strength" meter on the tuners.
      You really need to watch Bit Error Rate and the receiver equalizer to do
      it right; something only pro test
      equipment has now. But I was able to fake it here without breaking out
      our Sencore test set.

      - Don, also in Sunnyvale

      > - Bob in Sunnyvale

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
        I'm in south San Jose, near the border of Morgan Hill, and I'm able to
        receive everything from Sutro with a 40" boom antenna off the side of
        my townhouse's balcony. No amp...nothing special...just a cheap $25
        antenna from Radio Shack.
      • scottc6666
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Tom Ho <tomtho@...> wrote:

          > Scott,
          >
          > What kind of signal amplifier to do you use? I'm
          > looking for one.
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > Tom

          I installed a Motorola Drop Amp Signal Booster a few years ago but I
          don't remember what the model is. The RG-6 cable from the antenna is
          connected to a signal separator underneath the eaves of the house to
          split off the FM from the video and then runs about 80 feet or so to
          the garage where the signal booster is. I originally installed it
          because Channel 2 ( and sometimes 36 and 44) was always a bit fuzzy
          for me, especially in the wintertime. Once installed, Channel 2
          improved considerably and I had no problems with 36 or 44 either.
          Later on when I went digital I just left it in place and I've rarely
          had any problems. However, I also bought a new tv (a Sony HD-ready
          set)replacing my old Sony analog so the newer tuner might have had
          some effect on reception as well. I actually have 3 tv's running off
          of the same antenna-signal booster and all three work just fine even
          when all of them are on. One digital and two analog at opposite ends
          of the house. When Chris (rest his soul) installed a new rotor for me
          back in April he looked at my setup and said that it looked just fine
          so I must be one of the lucky ones who's geographical position etc
          makes all of this digital magic work.
        • luenlin
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 11, 2007
            Don and everyone:

            I live in the West San Jose/Cupertino area, near the intersection of
            Bollinger and Miller. I have an RS VU190 on my single story roof , on
            top of a ~8 ft pole, with RG6 coax. There is no rotator, but I have an
            indoor amplifier, which is RS 15-1113 that I had for years.

            I can easily pick up digital 11, 5, 7 and 9, but have a hard time with
            digital 4, 2, 44, 38, etc. I know wind has been blowing the antenna
            sideways and I had to climb up and readjust its direction.

            Perhaps installing a rotator such as CM 9521A would help? Not so much
            to point it to Sutro Tower or Mt. San Bruno, but more on compensating
            for the skew caused by wind. (I realized from the

            http://antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx

            Antenna web site, Sutro Tower and Mt. San Bruno are on the same
            bearing (308 degrees) from my home. So I don't really need the rotator
            to point my antenna.)

            I know you mentioned an amplifier would probably hurt in a previous
            message. And I want to get some opinions from you in my particular case.

            Regards,
            Luen

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Don Hackler <donh@...> wrote:

            > Tom Ho wrote:
            >
            > >Scott,
            > >
            > >What kind of signal amplifier to do you use? I'm
            > >looking for one.
            > >
            > >TIA
            > >
            > >Tom
            > >

            > An amplifier will probably hurt you more than it helps in Santa Clara.
            > Don't bother. All you need is an outdoor antenna, a rotator, and
            some RG-6.

            > - Don

          • Matt Thomas
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 12, 2007
              On Nov 11, 2007, at 4:50 PM, luenlin wrote:

              > Don and everyone:
              >
              > I live in the West San Jose/Cupertino area, near the intersection of
              > Bollinger and Miller. I have an RS VU190 on my single story roof , on
              > top of a ~8 ft pole, with RG6 coax. There is no rotator, but I have an
              > indoor amplifier, which is RS 15-1113 that I had for years.

              I'm 2 miles further west of you (west of 85, SW of Deanza College, on
              Bubb).

              > I can easily pick up digital 11, 5, 7 and 9, but have a hard time with
              > digital 4, 2, 44, 38, etc. I know wind has been blowing the antenna
              > sideways and I had to climb up and readjust its direction.

              I pick up everything from San Bruno/Sutro. I have a CM4228 and a
              CM3113 (cut for high VHF); both go into a CM7777 VHF/UHF amplifier.

              > I know you mentioned an amplifier would probably hurt in a previous
              > message. And I want to get some opinions from you in my particular
              > case.

              I know the preamp made a big difference in getting reception here.
            • Don Hackler
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 12, 2007
                The rotator will help. There is not likely to be one postion that you
                can pick up all Sutro stations with. In Suunyvale, I often have to turn
                the antenna a few degrees one way or the other to pick up everything at
                Sutro.

                You are not peaking the signal as much as you are minimizing the
                multipath interference.

                Besides, the rotator lets you look at the other stations on Mt. Diablo,
                Monument Peak, etc...

                luenlin wrote:
                > Don and everyone:
                >
                > I live in the West San Jose/Cupertino area, near the intersection of
                > Bollinger and Miller. I have an RS VU190 on my single story roof , on
                > top of a ~8 ft pole, with RG6 coax. There is no rotator, but I have an
                > indoor amplifier, which is RS 15-1113 that I had for years.
                >
                > I can easily pick up digital 11, 5, 7 and 9, but have a hard time with
                > digital 4, 2, 44, 38, etc. I know wind has been blowing the antenna
                > sideways and I had to climb up and readjust its direction.
                >
                > Perhaps installing a rotator such as CM 9521A would help? Not so much
                > to point it to Sutro Tower or Mt. San Bruno, but more on compensating
                > for the skew caused by wind. (I realized from the
                >
                > http://antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx
                >
                > Antenna web site, Sutro Tower and Mt. San Bruno are on the same
                > bearing (308 degrees) from my home. So I don't really need the rotator
                > to point my antenna.)
                >
                > I know you mentioned an amplifier would probably hurt in a previous
                > message. And I want to get some opinions from you in my particular case.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Luen
                >
                > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Don Hackler <donh@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Tom Ho wrote:
                >>

                >>> Scott,
                >>>
                >>> What kind of signal amplifier to do you use? I'm
                >>> looking for one.
                >>>
                >>> TIA
                >>>
                >>> Tom
                >>>

                >> An amplifier will probably hurt you more than it helps in Santa Clara.
                >> Don't bother. All you need is an outdoor antenna, a rotator, and
                >>
                > some RG-6.
                >
                >> - Don
                >>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Matt Thomas
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 12, 2007
                  On Nov 12, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Don Hackler wrote:

                  > The rotator will help. There is not likely to be one postion that you
                  > can pick up all Sutro stations with. In Suunyvale, I often have to
                  > turn
                  > the antenna a few degrees one way or the other to pick up
                  > everything at
                  > Sutro.
                  >
                  > You are not peaking the signal as much as you are minimizing the
                  > multipath interference.
                  >
                  > Besides, the rotator lets you look at the other stations on Mt.
                  > Diablo,
                  > Monument Peak, etc...

                  That assumes the user will not be using a DVR.
                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 12, 2007
                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "k_bennebroek"
                    <k_bennebroek@...> wrote:

                    > I am new to this group and just started setting up HD reception at
                    > my home in Santa Clara. I purchased an amplified Philips HD indoor
                    > antenna. I can receive most channels with this at a signal strength
                    > of at least 60% and 100% quality. However, I have problems receiving
                    > all the regular channels (2,4,5,7,11,36) at the same time. Even for
                    > channels that are supposed to originate from the same tower (Sutro,
                    > 303 degrees orientation, 38.0 miles distance) I can at any time only
                    > get a subset to work with a particular antenna orientation. I have
                    > to use the full gain on the antenna, which I've tried both in the
                    > living room and in the attic. I have not tried outside yet.

                    One thing that has not been mentioned yet, some HD receiver boxes have
                    2 antenna inputs so you can have one to get most of your channels and
                    another to get the rest! :) I know the RCA receiver I used to use had
                    that feature, unfortunately it is broken now, it has some inexplicable
                    dent on the top of it and will no longer output to my PC monitor. I
                    don't remember putting anything on top of it... :-O

                    this is the one I had:

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Direct-TV-HDTV-RCA-DTC-100-Receiver-with-CARD_W0QQitemZ330187485384QQihZ014QQcategoryZ67888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                    note that it has two antenna inputs in the back! :-) All I had to do
                    was hook my PC monitor up to the VGA output on this thing and I had
                    HDTV! Of course I had to hook up my speakers to it too. :) That's how
                    I got HDTV when I lived in the barracks while assigned to the
                    submarines USS Florida and USS Asheville at NSB Bangor and PSNS,
                    respectively, up near Seattle, WA!!!! :-)

                    --Brian
                  • Kevin Diggs
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 13, 2007
                      Matt Thomas wrote:

                      > I pick up everything from San Bruno/Sutro. I have a CM4228 and a
                      > CM3113 (cut for high VHF); both go into a CM7777 VHF/UHF amplifier.

                      This an external, at the antenna amplifier?

                    • Matt Thomas
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 13, 2007
                        On Nov 13, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Kevin Diggs wrote:

                        > Matt Thomas wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I pick up everything from San Bruno/Sutro. I have a CM4228 and a
                        >> CM3113 (cut for high VHF); both go into a CM7777 VHF/UHF amplifier.
                        >>
                        > This an external, at the antenna amplifier?

                        Yes
                      • red2grass
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 15, 2007
                          The physical channels for channel 2, 4, 38 and 44 are 56, 57, 39 and
                          45 respectively. It seems that your antenna deals with upper UHF
                          poorer than lower frequencies. In stead of trying a rotor, you may
                          have better chance with a better antenna (Channel Master 4228) for
                          high UHF frequencies and a better preamplifier (Channel Master
                          7777).

                        • luenlin
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
                            Thanks, I noticed that too. The whole antenna system has a poorer
                            high frequency response. Do you think it has to be the RS VU190
                            antenna problem or could it be because of the 50 ft rg6 cable, or the
                            balun, or the indoor RS amplifier? I know rg6 has a characteristics
                            of high frequency rolloff.

                            By the way, I found out last night I was able to pick up channel 40
                            from Sacramento, although noisy in both audio and video. My antenna
                            orientation seems to be more toward north east, as opposed to San
                            Francisco.

                            Regards,
                            Luen

                            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "red2grass" <red2grass@...>
                            wrote:

                            > The physical channels for channel 2, 4, 38 and 44 are 56, 57, 39
                            and
                            > 45 respectively. It seems that your antenna deals with upper UHF
                            > poorer than lower frequencies. In stead of trying a rotor, you may
                            > have better chance with a better antenna (Channel Master 4228) for
                            > high UHF frequencies and a better preamplifier (Channel Master
                            > 7777).
                            > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Don Hackler <donh@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > The rotator will help. There is not likely to be one postion
                            that
                            > you
                            > > can pick up all Sutro stations with. In Suunyvale, I often have
                            > to turn
                            > > the antenna a few degrees one way or the other to pick up
                            > everything at
                            > > Sutro.
                            > >
                            > > You are not peaking the signal as much as you are minimizing the
                            > > multipath interference.
                            > >
                            > > Besides, the rotator lets you look at the other stations on Mt.
                            > Diablo,
                            > > Monument Peak, etc...
                            > >
                            > > luenlin wrote:
                            > > > Don and everyone:
                            > > >
                            > > > I live in the West San Jose/Cupertino area, near the
                            > intersection of
                            > > > Bollinger and Miller. I have an RS VU190 on my single story
                            > roof , on
                            > > > top of a ~8 ft pole, with RG6 coax. There is no rotator, but I
                            > have an
                            > > > indoor amplifier, which is RS 15-1113 that I had for years.
                            > > >
                            > > > I can easily pick up digital 11, 5, 7 and 9, but have a hard
                            > time with
                            > > > digital 4, 2, 44, 38, etc. I know wind has been blowing the
                            > antenna
                            > > > sideways and I had to climb up and readjust its direction.
                            > > >
                            > > > Perhaps installing a rotator such as CM 9521A would help? Not
                            so
                            > much
                            > > > to point it to Sutro Tower or Mt. San Bruno, but more on
                            > compensating
                            > > > for the skew caused by wind. (I realized from the
                            > > >
                            > > > http://antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx
                            > > >
                            > > > Antenna web site, Sutro Tower and Mt. San Bruno are on the same
                            > > > bearing (308 degrees) from my home. So I don't really need the
                            > rotator
                            > > > to point my antenna.)
                            > > >
                            > > > I know you mentioned an amplifier would probably hurt in a
                            > previous
                            > > > message. And I want to get some opinions from you in my
                            > particular case.
                            > > >
                            > > > Regards,
                            > > > Luen

                            Santa
                            > Clara.
                            > and
                            > > >>
                            > > > some RG-6.

                            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • red2grass
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
                              What is your indoor RS amplifier? Is it a pre amplifier or
                              distribution amplier? If it is a pre amplifier, then the issue
                              should not be the RG6 cable. If it is not a pre amplifier, the first
                              thing I would try is to put a pre amplifier. I like channel master
                              7777. In case you don't know the difference between a pre amplifier
                              and a distribution amplier, a pre-amplifier is mounted outdoor very
                              close the the antenna. A pre-amplifier knocks off most of the losses
                              introduced by your RG6 cable run. If your cable run loss causes your
                              problem, a distribution amplier near your TV won't help, because it
                              amplifiers both the singal and the noise.

                              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "luenlin" <luenlin@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks, I noticed that too. The whole antenna system has a poorer
                              > high frequency response. Do you think it has to be the RS VU190
                              > antenna problem or could it be because of the 50 ft rg6 cable, or
                              the
                              > balun, or the indoor RS amplifier? I know rg6 has a
                              characteristics
                              > of high frequency rolloff.
                              >
                              > By the way, I found out last night I was able to pick up channel
                              40
                              > from Sacramento, although noisy in both audio and video. My
                              antenna
                              > orientation seems to be more toward north east, as opposed to San
                              > Francisco.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Luen
                              >
                              > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "red2grass" <red2grass@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > The physical channels for channel 2, 4, 38 and 44 are 56, 57, 39
                              > and
                              > > 45 respectively. It seems that your antenna deals with upper UHF
                              > > poorer than lower frequencies. In stead of trying a rotor, you
                              may
                              > > have better chance with a better antenna (Channel Master 4228)
                              for
                              > > high UHF frequencies and a better preamplifier (Channel Master
                              > > 7777).
                              > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Don Hackler <donh@> wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > The rotator will help. There is not likely to be one postion
                              > that
                              > > you
                              > > > can pick up all Sutro stations with. In Suunyvale, I often
                              have
                              > > to turn
                              > > > the antenna a few degrees one way or the other to pick up
                              > > everything at
                              > > > Sutro.
                              > > >
                              > > > You are not peaking the signal as much as you are minimizing
                              the
                              > > > multipath interference.
                              > > >
                              > > > Besides, the rotator lets you look at the other stations on
                              Mt.
                              > > Diablo,
                              > > > Monument Peak, etc...

                              > > intersection of
                              > > roof , on
                              > > have an

                              > > time with
                              > > antenna

                              Not
                              > so
                              > > much
                              > > compensating

                              > > rotator

                              > > previous
                              > > particular case.

                              > Santa
                              > > Clara.
                              > > and

                            • luenlin
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 16, 2007
                                It is a Radio Shack 15-1113 which I had for a long time. It must be a
                                distribution amplifier.

                                Thanks for your advice. I will put a CM 7777 pre-amp outdoor on the
                                mast near the antenna.