Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: KNTV transmission problems

  • Kevin Diggs
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
      Larry Kenney wrote:

      > keenan424 wrote (in part):
      > > I seem to recall Richard saying something about encoder problems, and
      > > that it was going to be replaced..??
      > >
      > > Is that still happening, or maybe the encoder needs a re-boot, or some
      > > adjustment? KNTV has looked much better in the past, so something is
      > > not right.
      > >
      > > Tonight's airing of Studio 60 was loaded with black screens and
      > > momentary pixelation. Heroes also had the same problems.
      >
      > Richard did say it was a local problem, but that was weeks ago. You'd
      > think they'd have it fixed by now. It's getting to the point where it's
      > almost impossible to watch KNTV's HD shows. Studio 60, as you said, had
      > lots of problems tonight, and the first part of The Tonight Show was really
      > bad. Things improved as the show went on.
      >
      > Larry
      > SF

      That was a flaky satellite receiver. Surely it has been replaced!?!

      kevin
    • red2grass
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
        I watched Leno two nights ago and the video was on and off on KNTV. It
        did not look like my antenna problem because signal level was high all
        the time. I switched to KCRA and KCRA did not have the same problem. I
        would assume it is a KNTV local issue not NBC global issue. I can
        receive both KNTV and KCRA but both receptions are shaky from time to
        time due to the hills and distances.

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Diggs <kevdig@...> wrote:

        > Larry Kenney wrote:
        > >

        > > keenan424 wrote (in part):
        > > > I seem to recall Richard saying something about encoder
        problems, and
        > > > that it was going to be replaced..??
        > > >
        > > > Is that still happening, or maybe the encoder needs a re-boot,
        or some
        > > > adjustment? KNTV has looked much better in the past, so
        something is
        > > > not right.
        > > >
        > > > Tonight's airing of Studio 60 was loaded with black screens and
        > > > momentary pixelation. Heroes also had the same problems.
        > >
        > > Richard did say it was a local problem, but that was weeks ago. You'd
        > > think they'd have it fixed by now. It's getting to the point where
        it's
        > > almost impossible to watch KNTV's HD shows. Studio 60, as you
        said, had
        > > lots of problems tonight, and the first part of The Tonight Show
        was really
        > > bad. Things improved as the show went on.
        > >
        > > Larry
        > > SF
        > >

        > That was a flaky satellite receiver. Surely it has been replaced!?!
        >
        > kevin

      • Richard Swank
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
          KNTV replaced the satellite receiver again yesterday....it seems that there have been a number of problems with these lately and NBC/manufacturer are researching it

          I watched Leno two nights ago and the video was on and off on KNTV. It
          did not look like my antenna problem because signal level was high all
          the time. I switched to KCRA and KCRA did not have the same problem. I
          would assume it is a KNTV local issue not NBC global issue. I can
          receive both KNTV and KCRA but both receptions are shaky from time to
          time due to the hills and distances.

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@ yahoogroups. com, Kevin Diggs <kevdig@...> wrote:

          > Larry Kenney wrote:
          > >

          > > keenan424 wrote (in part):
          > > > I seem to recall Richard saying something about encoder
          problems, and
          > > > that it was going to be replaced..??
          > > >
          > > > Is that still happening, or maybe the encoder needs a re-boot,
          or some
          > > > adjustment? KNTV has looked much better in the past, so
          something is
          > > > not right.
          > > >
          > > > Tonight's airing of Studio 60 was loaded with black screens and
          > > > momentary pixelation. Heroes also had the same problems.
          > >
          > > Richard did say it was a local problem, but that was weeks ago. You'd
          > > think they'd have it fixed by now. It's getting to the point where
          it's
          > > almost impossible to watch KNTV's HD shows. Studio 60, as you
          said, had
          > > lots of problems tonight, and the first part of The Tonight Show
          was really
          > > bad. Things improved as the show went on.
          > >
          > > Larry
          > > SF
          > >

          > That was a flaky satellite receiver. Surely it has been replaced!?!
          >
          > kevin

        • keenan424
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
            Thanks Richard. I don't recall seeing any problems last night. Is that
            really soft look something with the encoder, or is that how it's
            coming from the network? I was watched L&O:CI today and it just didn't
            look all the great, I could swear that these shows looked a lot
            sharper in the past.