Re: Poor reception in upper UHF channels

  • joel8800
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "mischeviousrat" <kevdig@...> wrote:

      > I am in South San Jose (Blossom Valley). I have a CM 4228 and a Radio
      > Shack inline preamp. I have the same problem. KTVU-DT is hit and miss.
      > Interestingly enough it seems to work better during football games
      > (Sometimes I don't even have to switch to one of my more sensitive
      > tuners)? Is KRON-DT fairly solid for you? Most of the time I can get
      > KRON-DT. As I write this KRON-DT is coming in; KTVU-DT isn't.
      > Multi-path is fun ain't it? Anyone know off hand where KTVU-DT and
      > KRON-DT are in that digital antenna contraption on Sutro?
      >
      > Interestingly enough, I can unplug the power injector for the pre-amp.
      > After 10 seconds or so most stations will come back. The signal thingy
      > reads 3 or so lower than it does with the power injector plugged in.
      >
      > kevin

      KRON-DT also is flaky for me. I don't watch much on KRON-DT so I wasn't too concerned.
      It was just interesting to me that KTVU-DT and KRON-DT are at UHF 56 & 57 while the
      rest of the digital channels are at lower UHF channels.

      I'm probably going to go look for a preamp and give that a try.

      -- Joel
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
        Yesterday, the FCC released the "LPTV AND TV TRANSLATOR DIGITAL COMPANION
        CHANNEL APPLICATIONS NON-MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE PROPOSALS". That's a mouth
        full! What it is is a list of all proposals for low power stations
        received during the filing window that didn't conflict with anyone else's
        proposals. The stations listed are now eligible to apply for a license.

        I've added the stations on the list for the San
        Francisco-Sacramento-Salinas/Monterey area to my web site listing. You'll
        find them in the list of "Digital Channels After Analog Shutdown" at the
        bottom of the page at: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

      • Harry Birmingham
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
          Kevin...what type of cable are you using to connect
          the antenna to your preamp? I recommend you use RG-6
          coax new and watch channel 2 come thru....

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
            I recently did a survey of the FCC database to get updates, changes
            and new applications for stations in the Bay Area, Sacramento-
            Stockton and Monterey-Salinas to make sure my lists of DTV Channels
            were up to date.

            I found a few modifications to construction permits, several
            applications for auxiliary operation and lots of new low power
            digital station applications. All of the new information has been
            updated in my lists. You might be surprised to see the number of low
            power stations that are applying for the low-VHF channels being
            vacated by high powered analog stations.

            I now have two complete stations lists - the original one ( http://
            www.choisser.com/sfonair.html ) sorted by virtual channel, and a
            second one ( http://www.choisser.com/sfonair2.html ) sorted by the
            post-transition transmitter channel. You'll be able to find the new
            stations easier in the new list. If you click on a call sign in the
            list, it will take you to that stations records on the FCC web site
            where you can find full details about the station, including a
            coverage map found under "Area: Service Contour Map".

            Some of the low powered digital stations already have licenses, so
            they should be on the air soon, if they aren't already. I would
            appreciate an email note if you find any of the new stations on the
            air so that I can update my list. Since most cover just a local
            area, I'm going to need help for the stations that are not in San
            Francisco. Thanks!