Re: Looking for CM7775 pre-amp!

  • t_lewis@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 26 , May 22, 2001
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "Mark Del Secco" <mds54@e...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know where I can buy a CM7775 UHF pre-amp
      > right away? (My dealer has them on back-order for
      > several weeks)
      >
      > Thanks!
      > -Mark in Morgan Hill

      Mark,

      Another alternative is Stark Electronics
      (http://www.starkelectronic.com/index.htm). I got a 7775 from them
      last week. Strange, their web site must be down right now. You can
      also try calling them: 508-756-7136.

      Tom
    • Art Courville
      Message 2 of 26 , May 23, 2001
        You could also try www.warrenelectronics.com

        As of a week or two ago, they had the 7775 and 7777 in stock, and pretty
        decent prices as well.

        t_lewis@... wrote:

        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "Mark Del Secco" <mds54@e...> wrote:
        > > Does anyone know where I can buy a CM7775 UHF pre-amp
        > > right away? (My dealer has them on back-order for
        > > several weeks)
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > -Mark in Morgan Hill
        >
        > Mark,
        >
        > Another alternative is Stark Electronics
        > (http://www.starkelectronic.com/index.htm). I got a 7775 from them
        > last week. Strange, their web site must be down right now. You can
        > also try calling them: 508-756-7136.
        >
        > Tom

      • Mark Del Secco
        Message 3 of 26 , May 23, 2001
          Thanks for the responses, but my post was from a couple months
          ago, and I have since obtained and installed a CM7775 preamp.
          They were on back-order from CM for awhile, but the shipments
          finally came in.

          -Mark in Morgan Hill

          At 08:02 AM 5/23/01, you wrote:
          >You could also try www.warrenelectronics.com
          >
          >As of a week or two ago, they had the 7775 and 7777 in stock, and pretty
          >decent prices as well.
          >
          >t_lewis@... wrote:
          >
          > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "Mark Del Secco" <mds54@e...> wrote:
          > > > Does anyone know where I can buy a CM7775 UHF pre-amp
          > > > right away? (My dealer has them on back-order for
          > > > several weeks)
          > > >
          > > > Thanks!
          > > > -Mark in Morgan Hill
          > >
          > > Mark,
          > >
          > > Another alternative is Stark Electronics
          > >
          > (<http://www.starkelectronic.com/index.htm).>http://www.starkelectronic.com/index.htm).
          > I got a 7775 from them
          > > last week. Strange, their web site must be down right now. You can
          > > also try calling them: 508-756-7136.
          > >
          > > Tom
        • Randy Spencer
          Message 4 of 26 , May 24, 2001
            And now that you have installed it what change has it made to your life?
            How much better is the reception? Should we all run out and get them?

            -Randy

            --- Mark Del Secco <mds54@...> wrote:
            > Thanks for the responses, but my post was from a couple months
            > ago, and I have since obtained and installed a CM7775 preamp.
            > They were on back-order from CM for awhile, but the shipments
            > finally came in.
            >
            > -Mark in Morgan Hill
            >

            > At 08:02 AM 5/23/01, you wrote:
            > >You could also try www.warrenelectronics.com
            > >
            > >As of a week or two ago, they had the 7775 and 7777 in stock, and pretty
            > >decent prices as well.
            > >
            > >t_lewis@... wrote:

            > > > Mark,
            > > >
            > > > Another alternative is Stark Electronics

            (<http://www.starkelectronic.com/index.htm).>http://www.starkelectronic.com/index.htm).

            > > I got a 7775 from them
            > > > last week. Strange, their web site must be down right now. You can
            > > > also try calling them: 508-756-7136.
            > > >
            > > > Tom

            =====
            ���`����,��,��
            Randy Spencer (http://geocities.com/israndy)
            Citris Insight #5427 510 748-0463

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
          • Mark Del Secco
            Message 5 of 26 , May 24, 2001
              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Randy Spencer <israndy@y...> wrote:
              > And now that you have installed it what change has it made to your
              life?
              > How much better is the reception? Should we all run out and get
              them?

              Well, the CM7775 seems to be the definitive UHF OTA preamp according
              to all the newsgroups and forums. It is better than the standard CM
              preamp I had earlier -- the CM7775 has a much higher gain. My signal
              strengths are about 5-10% stronger, but I live in a major multipath
              environment, and it doesn't help retain a fading signal any more than
              before. Also, be warned....the 7775 is UHF ONLY. Since KNTV-digital is
              currently VHF, the 7775 blocks that signal and I can no longer receive
              it. This could become an issue when KNTV picks up the NBC feed next
              year.

              -Mark in Morgan Hill
            • R8der
              Message 6 of 26 , May 24, 2001
                Mark Del Secco wrote:

                > before. Also, be warned....the 7775 is UHF ONLY. Since KNTV-digital is
                > currently VHF, the 7775 blocks that signal and I can no longer receive
                > it. This could become an issue when KNTV picks up the NBC feed next
                > year.

                This is assuming NBC produces something in HD worth watching. As of now this
                is not the case. ;-)

                In my location in Livermore, without the 7775, I cannot receive ANY channel
                effectively. With it I receive them all. Thats enough for me to endorse it!

                Chris
              • Art Courville
                Message 7 of 26 , May 24, 2001
                  The CM7777 has the same UHF specs as the CM7775, and does VHF as well.
                  I can't say how well it works, though, since mine is currently sitting
                  on my desk in a box.

                  Mark Del Secco wrote:

                  > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Randy Spencer <israndy@y...> wrote:
                  > > And now that you have installed it what change has it made to your
                  > life?
                  > > How much better is the reception? Should we all run out and get
                  > them?
                  >
                  > Well, the CM7775 seems to be the definitive UHF OTA preamp according
                  > to all the newsgroups and forums. It is better than the standard CM
                  > preamp I had earlier -- the CM7775 has a much higher gain. My signal
                  > strengths are about 5-10% stronger, but I live in a major multipath
                  > environment, and it doesn't help retain a fading signal any more than
                  > before. Also, be warned....the 7775 is UHF ONLY. Since KNTV-digital is
                  > currently VHF, the 7775 blocks that signal and I can no longer receive
                  > it. This could become an issue when KNTV picks up the NBC feed next
                  > year.
                • Mark Del Secco
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 24, 2001
                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Art Courville <acourvil@b...> wrote:
                    > The CM7777 has the same UHF specs as the CM7775, and does VHF as
                    well.
                    > I can't say how well it works, though, since mine is currently
                    sitting
                    > on my desk in a box.

                    That's correct Art, but everything I've read and been told
                    suggests that a UHF/VHF COMBO is never quite as good as a UHF-only
                    preamp. Are you planning to install your CM7777 soon?

                    -Mark in Morgan Hill
                  • Art Courville
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 24, 2001
                      Actually, I was planning on installing it a couple of weeks ago . . . : )

                      The product info on it says "Models 7777 and 7778 cover both VHF and UHF
                      bands with separate amplification in each band for maximum signal handling.
                      They may be configured for either separate or combined VHF and UHF inputs.
                      They include a switchable FM trap." Because of that (and the identical
                      specs), I was hoping that the UHF capabilities would be exactly the same as
                      the 7775 and give me more flexibility for future use.

                      I've been playing with a 4228A as a replacement to the big combo antenna
                      currently on my house, and I haven't really decided exactly what I'm going to
                      do. Without the preamp, the 4228A is more directional that the old antenna,
                      and doesn't get a couple channels quite as well, although it was also about
                      20 feet lower than the existing antenna. I thought that the pre-amp might
                      help, but haven't had time to do anything more with it.

                      Mark Del Secco wrote:

                      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Art Courville <acourvil@b...> wrote:
                      > > The CM7777 has the same UHF specs as the CM7775, and does VHF as
                      > well.
                      > > I can't say how well it works, though, since mine is currently
                      > sitting
                      > > on my desk in a box.
                      >
                      > That's correct Art, but everything I've read and been told
                      > suggests that a UHF/VHF COMBO is never quite as good as a UHF-only
                      > preamp. Are you planning to install your CM7777 soon?
                      >
                      > -Mark in Morgan Hill

                    • Mark Del Secco
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 24, 2001
                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Art Courville <acourvil@b...> wrote:
                        > Actually, I was planning on installing it a couple of weeks ago . .

                        Well, if/when you get it mounted, could you let us know if you're
                        happy with it?

                        > Because of that (and the identical
                        > specs), I was hoping that the UHF capabilities would be exactly the
                        > same as the 7775 and give me more flexibility for future use.

                        I understand -- I thought the same thing before I made my decision.
                        I know the specs are the same -- I explored this same option before I
                        bought the 7775. Although there didn't seem to be any apparent
                        disadvantage to the 7777 for UHF, other users and "antenna experts"
                        agreed that combos tend to have weaknesses. I can't state this as a
                        fact -- I'm only letting you know what I've been told. And if there is
                        a weakness, it might not even be discernable in your situation.

                        Let us know how it works out. Good luck!!!

                        -Mark in Morgan Hill
                      • Ted Matsumura
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 24, 2001
                          just fyi -- I've been trying to get this guy to work on my set for a year
                          now, it doesn't look like he will be in n. calif., but you can follow the
                          threads and/or indicate interest here:

                          (may require a login)

                          http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f
                          =21&t=000911

                          for info. on Michael's services:

                          http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm
                        • Mark Del Secco
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 24, 2001
                            FYI....

                            I had a well-respected ISF calibrator work on my set
                            over the last few months here in Morgan Hill, so I know
                            he's available in the Bay Area, but he does bill for his travel
                            expenses from his home in the East Bay.

                            Let me know if you're interested and I'll forward his contact
                            info to you.

                            -Mark in Morgan Hill

                            At 12:02 PM 7/24/01, Ted Matsumura wrote:
                            >just fyi -- I've been trying to get this guy to work on my set for a year
                            >now, it doesn't look like he will be in n. calif., but you can follow the
                            >threads and/or indicate interest here:
                            >
                            >(may require a login)
                            >
                            ><http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f>http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f
                            >=21&t=000911
                            >

                            >for info. on Michael's services:
                            >
                            ><http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm>http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm

                          • Ted Matsumura
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 24, 2001
                              Hi Mark,
                              Sure, I'd appreciate any references, especially if they've worked on the
                              PT56WXF95A before. This set, due to it's 720p native HD mode, and a few
                              other features and issues, actually takes a full day or two, just for
                              convergence in all modes, let alone ISF, etc. calibration.

                              Thanks,

                              Ted

                              I had a well-respected ISF calibrator work on my set
                              over the last few months here in Morgan Hill, so I know
                              he's available in the Bay Area, but he does bill for his travel
                              expenses from his home in the East Bay.

                              Let me know if you're interested and I'll forward his contact
                              info to you.

                              -Mark in Morgan Hill

                              At 12:02 PM 7/24/01, Ted Matsumura wrote:
                              >just fyi -- I've been trying to get this guy to work on my set for a year
                              >now, it doesn't look like he will be in n. calif., but you can follow the
                              >threads and/or indicate interest here:
                              >
                              >(may require a login)
                              >
                              ><http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic
                              &f>http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topi
                              c&f
                              >=21&t=000911
                              >

                              >for info. on Michael's services:
                              >
                              ><http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm>http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/in
                              dex.htm

                            • Mark Del Secco
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 24, 2001
                                Hi Ted,

                                I'm not sure if he's worked on the PT56WXF95A before (I have a Mits),
                                but he's very experienced and well-known on the AVS Forum. I would definitely
                                recommend him:

                                Bob Jones
                                (known on the forums as "Mr. Bob")
                                Image Perfection