Re: "ENGINEERING FOR DUMMIES" - KTVU HDTV version

  • Mark Del Secco
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2006
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Don Hackler <donh@...> wrote:

      > I'm sure if the folks at KTVU knew when the parts were showing up, we
      > would already know. - Don

      Due to their abysmal lack of response and info on this matter,
      how do you figure??? I sure wouldn't rely on them.
      Two weeks now and counting.....
      Message 2 of 27 , May 1, 2006
        We are just begining the second week, it's not two weeks, yet.

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Del Secco" <mds54@...> wrote:

        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Don Hackler <donh@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm sure if the folks at KTVU knew when the parts were showing up, we
        > > would already know. - Don
        >

        > Due to their abysmal lack of response and info on this matter,
        > how do you figure??? I sure wouldn't rely on them.
        > Two weeks now and counting.....

      • Jim Peters
        Message 3 of 27 , May 1, 2006
          Maybe calling them dummies a few more times would
          speed things up ?

          +J

          --- bobby6048 <bobcapl@...> wrote:

          > We are just begining the second week, it's not two
          > weeks, yet.
          >
          > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Del
          > Secco" <mds54@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Don Hackler
          > <donh@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm sure if the folks at KTVU knew when the
          > parts were showing up, we
          > > > would already know. - Don
          > >

          > > Due to their abysmal lack of response and info on
          > this matter,
          > > how do you figure??? I sure wouldn't rely on them.
          > > Two weeks now and counting.....

          +JP .... everything is possible ...

          +1415-608-0851
          jim.peters@...
        • pdawg171717
          Message 4 of 27 , May 1, 2006
            Well, it looks like another episode of Prison Break and 24 without
            HD :(

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Jim Peters <jim-peters@...>
            wrote:

            > Maybe calling them dummies a few more times would
            > speed things up ?
            >
            > +J
            >
            > --- bobby6048 <bobcapl@...> wrote:
            >
            > > We are just begining the second week, it's not two
            > > weeks, yet.
            > >
            > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Del
            > > Secco" <mds54@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Don Hackler

            > > parts were showing up, we
            > > >

            > > > Due to their abysmal lack of response and info on
            > > this matter,
            > > > how do you figure??? I sure wouldn't rely on them.
            > > > Two weeks now and counting.....
            > > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > +JP .... everything is possible ...
            >
            > +1415-608-0851
            > jim.peters@...

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 27 , May 1, 2006
              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "pdawg171717" <pdawg17@...> wrote:

              > Well, it looks like another episode of Prison Break and 24 without
              > HD :(

              This is what upsets me more than anything else, but, with OTA, I'm not
              paying for it like Comcast users. I used to have Comcast just so I
              could get KTVU/Fox in HD...man, how bitter I'd be right now if I was
              forkin' out money and not getting it.
            • Bob
              Message 6 of 27 , May 1, 2006

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@...> wrote:

                > We are just begining the second week, it's not two weeks, yet.

                Bobby, you are correct, it has been one week.

                KTVU is working on a solution to a very difficult intermittent ASI transport stream problem; they have spent a lot of time and money on this.  In many ways rocket science is simpler as that technology is 60 years old.  The plan for this Mon-Wed is to have a technician come in on overtime to see if reconnecting the HD components prior to prime time will work, hopefully there won't macroblocking during the two-hour window.  New equipment has been ordered and will be installed at the end of next week, time will tell if that will fix the problem.

                Again, all the TV station engineers that would have been replying to e-mail received last week were at the NAB Convention looking at and purchasing new technology.  Now they are back and are backlogged, I'm sure that e-mail responses will be forthcoming.

              • Mark Del Secco
                Message 7 of 27 , May 1, 2006
                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@...> wrote:

                  > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > We are just begining the second week, it's not two weeks, yet.
                  > >

                  > Bobby, you are correct, it has been one week.

                  Two weeks worth of shows... i.e. two episodes of "24" now in SD only :-)
                • Mark Del Secco
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 1, 2006
                    Thanks Bob......that's all I'm looking for!
                    (even though it's not especially good news)

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 2, 2006
                      Here's a link to a story on page 1 of Tuesday's (5/2) San
                      Francisco Chronicle about the plans of KQED and KTEH to merge
                      to cut costs and expand programming:

                      http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/02/PUBLICTV.TMP
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 2, 2006
                        I noted that last night, on Comcast, Prison Break and 24 were in HD.
                        Maybe things are better now.

                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@...> wrote:

                        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > We are just begining the second week, it's not two weeks, yet.
                        > >

                        > Bobby, you are correct, it has been one week.
                        >
                        > KTVU is working on a solution to a very difficult intermittent ASI
                        > transport stream problem; they have spent a lot of time and money on
                        > this. In many ways rocket science is simpler as that technology is 60
                        > years old. The plan for this Mon-Wed is to have a technician come in on
                        > overtime to see if reconnecting the HD components prior to prime time
                        > will work, hopefully there won't macroblocking during the two-hour
                        > window. New equipment has been ordered and will be installed at the end
                        > of next week, time will tell if that will fix the problem.
                        >
                        > Again, all the TV station engineers that would have been replying to
                        > e-mail received last week were at the NAB Convention looking at and
                        > purchasing new technology. Now they are back and are backlogged, I'm
                        > sure that e-mail responses will be forthcoming.

                      • pmccolgan
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 2, 2006
                          Thanks for the posting Larry.

                          Two sets of numbers jumped out from this article

                          Both nonprofits are in solid financial shape, he said; neither KQED,
                          > with a $47 million budget, nor KTEH, whose budget is $8
                          million, is running a deficit.

                          and

                          KTEH, which is seen in about 918,840 households a
                          > month, compared with 1.5 million for KQED,

                          Guess who is getting a bigger audience for the buck?

                          When a company 6 times larger in dollar terms "merges" with a another, it is really an acquisition rather than a merger.  KQED - the PBS 800lb gorilla - is taking over one of its 2 competitors (KCSM being the other). There will be less programming choice and a station on the air since 1980 will be no more - Such are market forces.

                          Peter
                          p.s. lately this newsgroup has become a big grumble-fest ;-(  On the big scheme of things getting your favorite program in SD rather than HD for a few weeks is no big deal.   If you read/watch the news out of places like Sudan with its genocide or the famine in East Africa, then things fall in to perspective.

                        • Wilson J. Chan
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 2, 2006
                            KTEH can get rid of their channel and add a few more SD multicasts to
                            KQED. Wonderful. I heard they're letting go 15 people.

                            pmccolgan wrote:
                            > Thanks for the posting Larry.
                            >
                            > Two sets of numbers jumped out from this article
                            >
                            > > Both nonprofits are in solid financial shape, he said; neither KQED,
                            > > with a $47 million budget, nor KTEH, whose budget is $8 million, is
                            > running a deficit.
                            >
                            > and
                            >
                            > > KTEH, which is seen in about 918,840 households a
                            > > month, compared with 1.5 million for KQED,
                            >
                            > Guess who is getting a bigger audience for the buck?
                            >
                            > When a company 6 times larger in dollar terms "merges" with a another,
                            > it is really an acquisition rather than a merger. KQED - the PBS
                            > 800lb gorilla - is taking over one of its 2 competitors (KCSM being
                            > the other). There will be less programming choice and a station on the
                            > air since 1980 will be no more - Such are market forces.
                            >
                            > Peter
                            > p.s. lately this newsgroup has become a big grumble-fest ;-( On the
                            > big scheme of things getting your favorite program in SD rather than
                            > HD for a few weeks is no big deal. If you read/watch the news out of
                            > places like Sudan with its genocide or the famine in East Africa, then
                            > things fall in to perspective.

                          • Michael Portuesi
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 2, 2006
                              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@...> wrote:

                              > I noted that last night, on Comcast, Prison Break and 24 were in HD.
                              > Maybe things are better now.

                              Prison Break and 24 were both in HD OTA last night. That was a nice
                              surprise.

                              The bad part about digital TV is that computers are involved!

                              Michael Portuesi
                            • Philip Ross
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 2, 2006
                                I see nothing in the article that says that KTEH / channel 54 (DT 50) will go dark with this merger. In fact, I believe that they will use this station to increase the number of programs that can be seen at the same time. Perhaps they will use the chanel 50 station to multicast so that they can decrease the number of programs multicast on "9" (DT 30). Time will tell, but at least KTEH is already digital.

                                Message 15 of 27 , May 2, 2006
                                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@...> wrote:

                                  > I noted that last night, on Comcast, Prison Break and 24 were in HD.
                                  > Maybe things are better now.

                                  What a surprise....."24"in HD again!
                                  Hopefully all KTVU HD problems are resolved.
                                • wilfsdad1965
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 2, 2006
                                    i watch kteh a lot more than kqed. i see positives and negatives.
                                    positives are kteh until now has to wait until kqed shows pbs stuff
                                    first like masterpiece theatre, kqed gets first shout on new stuf in
                                    the bay area, maybe they can share it. it will also allow each other
                                    to share costs for creating local programs for local people. the thing
                                    i'm woried about is in the article it implies that kteh shows lots of
                                    BBC repeats because it doesn't have the money to make enough local
                                    shows and now it will. so as long as their bbc content does not go
                                    down i'll be happy. i don't mind waiting a few months for a bbc show
                                    to air on kteh than pay exorbitant satellite/comcast fees.

                                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Philip Ross <paross@...> wrote:

                                    > I see nothing in the article that says that KTEH / channel 54 (DT
                                    50) will go dark with this merger. In fact, I believe that they will
                                    use this station to increase the number of programs that can be seen
                                    at the same time. Perhaps they will use the chanel 50 station to
                                    multicast so that they can decrease the number of programs multicast
                                    on "9" (DT 30). Time will tell, but at least KTEH is already digital.

                                    > pmccolgan <pmccolgan@...> wrote: Thanks for the posting
                                    Larry.

                                    > Two sets of numbers jumped out from this article
                                    >
                                    > > Both nonprofits are in solid financial shape, he said; neither KQED,
                                    > > with a $47 million budget, nor KTEH, whose budget is $8 million,
                                    is running a deficit.

                                    > and
                                    >
                                    > > KTEH, which is seen in about 918,840 households a
                                    > > month, compared with 1.5 million for KQED,
                                    >
                                    > Guess who is getting a bigger audience for the buck?
                                    >
                                    > When a company 6 times larger in dollar terms "merges" with a
                                    another, it is really an acquisition rather than a merger. KQED - the
                                    PBS 800lb gorilla - is taking over one of its 2 competitors (KCSM
                                    being the other). There will be less programming choice and a station
                                    on the air since 1980 will be no more - Such are market forces.

                                    > Peter
                                    > p.s. lately this newsgroup has become a big grumble-fest ;-( On the
                                    big scheme of things getting your favorite program in SD rather than
                                    HD for a few weeks is no big deal. If you read/watch the news out of
                                    places like Sudan with its genocide or the famine in East Africa, then
                                    things fall in to perspective.

                                    > Audio recording schools Audio production school Audio
                                    production schools Audio visual rental Audio conferencing
                                    Audio visual equipment rental

                                    Service.

                                    > ---------------------------------

                                  • Pete Hudson
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 3, 2006
                                      Maybe there has been a bit too much grumbling here lately (although
                                      your point about the merger doesn't exactly sound celebratory), but
                                      admonishing us about more important things in the world seems a bit
                                      disingenuous.

                                      When you join a group dedicated to discussion of HDTV, you should
                                      expect to encounter people of privilege talking about their nice
                                      toys. I would venture to say that nothing ever posted to this group
                                      ever has, ever will, or ever should compare in importance to Genocide
                                      in Sudan, Famine in East Africa, or the family down the block that
                                      just had their electricity turned off.

                                      I'm not trying to start a flame war here. I just got a little
                                      triggered by your statement and wanted to answer your call for
                                      perspective with one of my own. I'm not looking for a response,
                                      unless you want to respond. You can feel free to respond directly to
                                      me rather than the whole list if you want to as well.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 3, 2006
                                        agreed. People may feel that since they are spending LOTs of money on
                                        this technology they ought to get value for money. I for one am really
                                        cheesed of at getting a good HD tv to watch kqed and then like last
                                        night i watch the bbc world news at 8pm and it looks like a 56k
                                        realplayer feed blown up with big square artifacts!! the next program
                                        had a bald guy talking and when he moved his head the artifacting made
                                        it look like it was pulsating. It freaked the wife out, he looked like
                                        an alien ....