Re: HD-Lite?

  • deane_gardner
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "mischeviousrat" <kevdig@...>
      wrote:

      > Aren't there some filter operations that can be done prior to
      encoding
      > ... to enhance compression? These might impact sharpness.
      >
      > kevin

      Good point. But, my personal bet would be that those soft scenes are
      the result of careful editing to keep the actors improbably
      attractive, rather than to reduce the high frequency content of
      particular scenes for better encoding in the presence of motion.

      Does any one of us have the facts about soft DTV scenes?

      Deane
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "deane_gardner" <deane_gardner@...> wrote:

        <snip>

        > But, my personal bet would be that those soft scenes are
        > the result of careful editing to keep the actors improbably
        > attractive, rather than to reduce the high frequency content of
        > particular scenes for better encoding in the presence of motion.
        >
        > Does any one of us have the facts about soft DTV scenes?
        >
        > Deane

        This would be akin to the Doris Day soft-focus lens, rumor was they put a thin coat of Vaseline on the lens to hide wrinkles in her final movies.

        LopakaBob

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
          deane_gardner wrote:

          > Good point. But, my personal bet would be that those soft scenes are
          > the result of careful editing to keep the actors improbably
          > attractive, rather than to reduce the high frequency content of
          > particular scenes for better encoding in the presence of motion.
          >
          > Does any one of us have the facts about soft DTV scenes?

          My days of doing video were back in the days before HD, but even
          then there were specific settings for each anchor at KGO for how
          sharp the face would be. Each anchor would sit for camera tests
          and when they were happy with what they saw, the settings were
          saved under that person's name. Terilyn Joe even had special
          lighting... just for her... to highlight her hair!

          The camera electronics have a circuit where you can adjust the
          focus on anything with skin tones. You can go from full sharp
          focus to totally out of focus without any changes to the rest of
          the picture. The circuit only affects the skin tones.

          Some of the woman anchors had their settings such that their zits
          and wrinkles would totally disappear. The older they got, the
          higher the setting! If you compared the incoming picture to the
          outgoing picture, it was very noticeable for many of them. We
          often said they looked like painted dolls.

          I'm sure that with HD video the anchors and actors are even more
          critical of how they look.

          One interesting side story to this has to do with the set up of
          the picture size on channel 7.1. At first, KGO had the non-HD
          picture stretched to about a 14:9 ratio, with just very narrow
          bars on the sides. That ended very quickly when one of the
          anchors saw a close up of themselves on the air and they felt
          that they looked fat. Can't have that! The size was immediately
          changed to what you see today.

        • mischeviousrat
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

            > My days of doing video were back in the days before HD, but even
            > then there were specific settings for each anchor at KGO for how
            > sharp the face would be. Each anchor would sit for camera tests
            > and when they were happy with what they saw, the settings were
            > saved under that person's name. Terilyn Joe even had special
            > lighting... just for her... to highlight her hair!

            I remember her! Where did she go?

            > Larry
            > SF

            kevin
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
              Very cool info Larry. It's great to have someone who has been
              "inside" and knows what really is going on....

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

              > My days of doing video were back in the days before HD, but even
              > then there were specific settings for each anchor at KGO for how
              > sharp the face would be. Each anchor would sit for camera tests
              > and when they were happy with what they saw, the settings were
              > saved under that person's name. Terilyn Joe even had special
              > lighting... just for her... to highlight her hair!
              >
              > The camera electronics have a circuit where you can adjust the
              > focus on anything with skin tones. You can go from full sharp
              > focus to totally out of focus without any changes to the rest of
              > the picture. The circuit only affects the skin tones.
              >
              > Some of the woman anchors had their settings such that their zits
              > and wrinkles would totally disappear. The older they got, the
              > higher the setting! If you compared the incoming picture to the
              > outgoing picture, it was very noticeable for many of them. We
              > often said they looked like painted dolls.
              >
              > I'm sure that with HD video the anchors and actors are even more
              > critical of how they look.
              >
              > One interesting side story to this has to do with the set up of
              > the picture size on channel 7.1. At first, KGO had the non-HD
              > picture stretched to about a 14:9 ratio, with just very narrow
              > bars on the sides. That ended very quickly when one of the
              > anchors saw a close up of themselves on the air and they felt
              > that they looked fat. Can't have that! The size was immediately
              > changed to what you see today.
              >
              > Larry
              > SF

            • Swank, Richard (NBC Universal, KNTV)
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
                Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Camera Focus (was HD-Lite?)

                Contract killed at KNTV.  Where she went?

                Richard Swank

                --------------------------

                > My days of doing video were back in the days before HD, but even
                > then there were specific settings for each anchor at KGO for how
                > sharp the face would be.  Each anchor would sit for camera tests
                > and when they were happy with what they saw, the settings were
                > saved under that person's name.  Terilyn Joe even had special
                > lighting... just for her... to highlight her hair!

                I remember her! Where did she go?

                > Larry
                > SF

                kevin

                Audio recording schools         Audio production school         Audio production schools
                Audio visual rental     Audio conferencing      Audio visual equipment rental

                  _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                *        Visit your group " HDTV-in-SFbay" on the web.

                *        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                *        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                  _____

              • keenan424
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
                  3T...Tomato throwing Terilyn...

                  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2002/10/16/state1905EDT0142.DTL
                  Anchor Joe leaving San Francisco Bay area NBC station

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Swank, Richard (NBC Universal,