Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: KNTV Pixelation

  • Swank, Richard (NBC Universal, KNTV)
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2006
      Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: KNTV Pixelation

      Yes KNTV-DT does feed DirecTV with an Mpeg compressed ASI signal out of the encoder via fiber optics.

      Of course we continue to feed them an analog KNTV version via fiber for those non-HD viewers.

      Richard Swank

      --------------------------

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2006
        Interesting, so the other 3 stations are getting an OTA signal for
        uplink to the sat. Is the KNTV signal that DirecTV gets the same
        bandwidth as the signal that is sent out OTA? And do you know how Dish
        Network will be getting their local HD DTV signals which they will be
        carrying soon?

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Swank, Richard (NBC Universal,

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2006
          Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: KNTV Pixelation

          We send them the identical signal we send to our transmitter and have been since DirecTV put local HDTV on their system in SF.  Of course there is an off-air backup.

          Dish uses our over the air HD for their system at this point.  Their receive site is near SBC park with a clear shot to both Bruno and Sutro.

          We feed both of these systems and Comcast with our analog signal via SBC fiber with OTA as a backup.

          Comcast receives our HD off-air and transcodes it for their system.  Both our 11.1 and 11.2 signals are on this system.  Both the 11.1 and 11.2 subchannel have their own separate channels on the Comcast systems.

          Astound Cable in CoCo uses our DTV off-air for any HD they might have.  They convert that same signal for the analog ch-11 on that system.  Halfmoon bay cable system does the same thing.

          Richard Swank

          --------------------------

          KNTV)" <Richard.Swank@...> wrote:

          > Yes KNTV-DT does feed DirecTV with an Mpeg compressed ASI signal out
          of the
          > encoder via fiber optics.
          >
          > Of course we continue to feed them an analog KNTV version via fiber for
          > those non-HD viewers.
          >
          > Richard Swank
          >
          > --------------------------

        • Ron Economos
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3, 2006
            I took a quick look at the bitstream from the Divicom
            encoder during "Las Vegas" tonight.

            1) Inverse telecine already enabled.

            2) Scene change detection and I-frame insertion enabled.

            3) GOP length is 30 frames.

            4) Resolution of 11-2 is 640x480.

            Ron

            Richard Swank wrote:

            > KNTV is operating on the new Harmonic encoding system as of today at
            > 3:30pm.

          • rob pfile
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 4, 2006
              i noticed this too (on "earl"), but i wasnt sure as i didnt have any
              old recordings to look at (and the only analysis tool i have right now
              is mplayer, which will announce that it sees 24fps progressive
              material.)

              what tools are you (and c m) using to analyze these bitstreams?
              anything that runs on linux?

              i ask because mplayer is dropping back into telecine mode every so
              often, but after a few hundred frames or so it recovers. i'm wondering
              if there's anything weird about the way the flags are set that's
              causing this, or if its a bug in mplayer. so i'd like to try to
              pinpoint what it was that caused the problem. i guess i can instrument
              the mplayer code, but i'd like to find a better analysis tool.

              rob