Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] HD-Lite?

  • Kevin Diggs
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2006
      pmccolgan wrote:
      > what's HD-Lite?
      >
      > Are you saying anything other than 19 Mbps is not "true HD" but "HD-Lite" ?
      >
      > peter
      >
      > */"Wilson J. Chan" <wilson@...>/* wrote:
      >
      > With the new lower-bandwidth broadcast on ABC, this year's Oscar
      > will be
      > technically in HD-Lite.
      >
      > bobby6048 wrote:
      > > The Oscars have been televised in HD for several years now. There is
      > > no reason to believe it will be different this year.

      For the record, I watched "Leave it to Jim" and "George Lopez" tonight.
      They looked fine on my puny 32" LCD. I did not detect anything that I
      thought looked like a compression artifact. I also could not tell any
      difference between either show and NCIS. ... The picture quality I mean.
      The shows are a little different.

      kevin

      P.S.: FYI: Rats like Coors beer.
    • Larry Katzeff
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2006
        The Boston Legal HD quality last night was definetely below par. Does anybody know, if theABC  Directv West Coast feed from LA suffers from the the same BW limitations?

        Kevin Diggs <kevdig@...> wrote:
        pmccolgan wrote:
        > what's HD-Lite?
        >
        > Are you saying anything other than 19 Mbps is not "true HD" but "HD-Lite" ?
        >
        > peter
        >
        > */"Wilson J. Chan" <wilson@...>/* wrote:
        >
        >     With the new lower-bandwidth broadcast on ABC, this year's Oscar
        >     will be
        >     technically in HD-Lite.
        >
        >     bobby6048 wrote:
        >      > The Oscars have been televised in HD for several years now. There is
        >      > no reason to believe it will be different this year.
        >      >

              For the record, I watched "Leave it to Jim" and "George Lopez" tonight.
        They looked fine on my puny 32" LCD. I did not detect anything that I
        thought looked like a compression artifact. I also could not tell any
        difference between either show and NCIS. ... The picture quality I mean.
        The shows are a little different.

                                      kevin

        P.S.:  FYI:  Rats like Coors beer.

        Yahoo! Mail

      • Michael Portuesi
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 1, 2006
          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Katzeff <lxkatze@...> wrote:

          > The Boston Legal HD quality last night was definetely below par.

          I was watching Boston Legal (and the terrible sitcom before it) last
          night with the sound turned down, just to evaluate the video quality.
          (I was carrying on a conversation at the same time).

          I'm not a regular watcher of either show, but I thought both shows
          looked just fine. I couldn't detect any MPEG artifacts. There were
          some scenes in Boston Legal that looked a bit soft, but they were
          always closeups of the female actresses. When the camera went back to
          Shatner, the picture became detailed once more. I guess they had a
          filter on the camera for some of the closeups.

          In any event, I didn't see any MPEG artifacts in either of the
          programs. But maybe that's because of my puny 32-inch display. It
          certainly looked comparable to a drama show on KTVU (also 720p).

          Maybe I really do need to see KGO-HD on a 60-inch screen, but I still
          don't see what the fuss is about.

          Michael Portuesi
        • E Frank Ball
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 1, 2006
            On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:03:06AM -0800, Larry Katzeff wrote:

            } The Boston Legal HD quality last night was definitely
            } below par.

            I watched Boston Legal via Comcast. There was a scene near the end when
            Denny and Bev were in the conference room. The camera was jumping back
            and forth between closeups of Denny and closeups of Bev. Denny looked
            really sharp (the picture that is). It was very sharp, crisp, and HD.
            The shots of Bev looked very soft by comparison. They probably softened
            the shots of her to be kind to her wrinkles, but the back and forth
            between the sharp and soft pictures was very distracting and annoying
            (like the movie Zorro where for some unimaginable reason they softened
            all the close ups of Katherine Zeta Jones - who didn't need it).

            E Frank Ball frankb@...
          • Larry Katzeff
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 1, 2006
              I had side  by side comparison of the same show recorded couple of weeks ago and last night's. There was a definite difference in sharpness and softness in some scenes.

              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 1, 2006
                While many of us here are familiar with over the air reception
                and all of the problems involved with it, you still might find
                the following article from "HDTV Magazine" to be of interest.

                Here's an excerpt followed by a link to the full article:

                OTA HD Demystified
                by Ben Drawbaugh

                Everyone knows that it's possible to watch TV with an antenna,
                but most people today don't understand why anyone would want to.
                We have all read the horror stories about how difficult it can be
                to receive a good OTA (Over the Air) signal, especially with DTV.

                There are a few benefits to OTA today that we didn't have before
                the US started the DTV transition. Some of the best picture
                quality possible can be obtained with an antenna, at least until
                High Definition DVDs are released. It's FREE, it's recordable on
                some computers like Windows Media Center Edition and it works
                sometimes when cable and Satellite doesn't.

                The first step to OTA nirvana is to research your area.

                Full article:
                http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2006/03/ota_hd_demystif.php

              • deane_gardner
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 1, 2006
                  I would expect that the symptoms of a low HD bit rate would be the
                  presence of transient jagged and blocky areas during fast action or in
                  the cutting from one scene to another. Sharpness and softness in
                  mostly-static scenes (most prime-time soaps) shouldn't be directly
                  affected by bit rate.

                  Deane

                  wrote:

                  > I had side by side comparison of the same show recorded couple of
                  weeks ago and last night's. There was a definite difference in
                  sharpness and softness in some scenes.

                • Jon Drukman
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 2, 2006
                    Michael Portuesi wrote:
                    > In any event, I didn't see any MPEG artifacts in either of the
                    > programs. But maybe that's because of my puny 32-inch display. It
                    > certainly looked comparable to a drama show on KTVU (also 720p).
                    >
                    > Maybe I really do need to see KGO-HD on a 60-inch screen, but I still
                    > don't see what the fuss is about.

                    I watched last night's "Lost" on my projector (150" diagonal) and it
                    didn't look any worse than any previous episode of Lost that I've
                    watched on it. MPEG artifacts are a fact of life at that size, but oh
                    well... you learn to live with it.

                    -jsd-
                  • mischeviousrat
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "deane_gardner"
                      <deane_gardner@...> wrote:

                      > I would expect that the symptoms of a low HD bit rate would be the
                      > presence of transient jagged and blocky areas during fast action or in
                      > the cutting from one scene to another. Sharpness and softness in
                      > mostly-static scenes (most prime-time soaps) shouldn't be directly
                      > affected by bit rate.
                      >
                      > Deane

                      Aren't there some filter operations that can be done prior to encoding
                      ... to enhance compression? These might impact sharpness.

                      kevin
                    • deane_gardner
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "mischeviousrat" <kevdig@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Aren't there some filter operations that can be done prior to
                        encoding
                        > ... to enhance compression? These might impact sharpness.
                        >
                        > kevin

                        Good point. But, my personal bet would be that those soft scenes are
                        the result of careful editing to keep the actors improbably
                        attractive, rather than to reduce the high frequency content of
                        particular scenes for better encoding in the presence of motion.

                        Does any one of us have the facts about soft DTV scenes?

                        Deane
                      • Bob
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006

                          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "deane_gardner" <deane_gardner@...> wrote:

                          <snip>

                          > But, my personal bet would be that those soft scenes are
                          > the result of careful editing to keep the actors improbably
                          > attractive, rather than to reduce the high frequency content of
                          > particular scenes for better encoding in the presence of motion.
                          >
                          > Does any one of us have the facts about soft DTV scenes?
                          >
                          > Deane

                          This would be akin to the Doris Day soft-focus lens, rumor was they put a thin coat of Vaseline on the lens to hide wrinkles in her final movies.

                          LopakaBob

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
                            deane_gardner wrote:

                            > Good point. But, my personal bet would be that those soft scenes are
                            > the result of careful editing to keep the actors improbably
                            > attractive, rather than to reduce the high frequency content of
                            > particular scenes for better encoding in the presence of motion.
                            >
                            > Does any one of us have the facts about soft DTV scenes?

                            My days of doing video were back in the days before HD, but even
                            then there were specific settings for each anchor at KGO for how
                            sharp the face would be. Each anchor would sit for camera tests
                            and when they were happy with what they saw, the settings were
                            saved under that person's name. Terilyn Joe even had special
                            lighting... just for her... to highlight her hair!

                            The camera electronics have a circuit where you can adjust the
                            focus on anything with skin tones. You can go from full sharp
                            focus to totally out of focus without any changes to the rest of
                            the picture. The circuit only affects the skin tones.

                            Some of the woman anchors had their settings such that their zits
                            and wrinkles would totally disappear. The older they got, the
                            higher the setting! If you compared the incoming picture to the
                            outgoing picture, it was very noticeable for many of them. We
                            often said they looked like painted dolls.

                            I'm sure that with HD video the anchors and actors are even more
                            critical of how they look.

                            One interesting side story to this has to do with the set up of
                            the picture size on channel 7.1. At first, KGO had the non-HD
                            picture stretched to about a 14:9 ratio, with just very narrow
                            bars on the sides. That ended very quickly when one of the
                            anchors saw a close up of themselves on the air and they felt
                            that they looked fat. Can't have that! The size was immediately
                            changed to what you see today.

                          • mischeviousrat
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
                              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

                              > My days of doing video were back in the days before HD, but even
                              > then there were specific settings for each anchor at KGO for how
                              > sharp the face would be. Each anchor would sit for camera tests
                              > and when they were happy with what they saw, the settings were
                              > saved under that person's name. Terilyn Joe even had special
                              > lighting... just for her... to highlight her hair!

                              I remember her! Where did she go?

                              > Larry
                              > SF

                              kevin
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
                                Very cool info Larry. It's great to have someone who has been
                                "inside" and knows what really is going on....

                                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

                                > My days of doing video were back in the days before HD, but even
                                > then there were specific settings for each anchor at KGO for how
                                > sharp the face would be. Each anchor would sit for camera tests
                                > and when they were happy with what they saw, the settings were
                                > saved under that person's name. Terilyn Joe even had special
                                > lighting... just for her... to highlight her hair!
                                >
                                > The camera electronics have a circuit where you can adjust the
                                > focus on anything with skin tones. You can go from full sharp
                                > focus to totally out of focus without any changes to the rest of
                                > the picture. The circuit only affects the skin tones.
                                >
                                > Some of the woman anchors had their settings such that their zits
                                > and wrinkles would totally disappear. The older they got, the
                                > higher the setting! If you compared the incoming picture to the
                                > outgoing picture, it was very noticeable for many of them. We
                                > often said they looked like painted dolls.
                                >
                                > I'm sure that with HD video the anchors and actors are even more
                                > critical of how they look.
                                >
                                > One interesting side story to this has to do with the set up of
                                > the picture size on channel 7.1. At first, KGO had the non-HD
                                > picture stretched to about a 14:9 ratio, with just very narrow
                                > bars on the sides. That ended very quickly when one of the
                                > anchors saw a close up of themselves on the air and they felt
                                > that they looked fat. Can't have that! The size was immediately
                                > changed to what you see today.
                                >
                                > Larry
                                > SF

                              • Swank, Richard (NBC Universal, KNTV)
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
                                  Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Camera Focus (was HD-Lite?)

                                  Contract killed at KNTV.  Where she went?

                                  Richard Swank

                                  --------------------------

                                  > My days of doing video were back in the days before HD, but even
                                  > then there were specific settings for each anchor at KGO for how
                                  > sharp the face would be.  Each anchor would sit for camera tests
                                  > and when they were happy with what they saw, the settings were
                                  > saved under that person's name.  Terilyn Joe even had special
                                  > lighting... just for her... to highlight her hair!

                                  I remember her! Where did she go?

                                  > Larry
                                  > SF

                                  kevin

                                  Audio recording schools         Audio production school         Audio production schools
                                  Audio visual rental     Audio conferencing      Audio visual equipment rental

                                    _____

                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  *        Visit your group " HDTV-in-SFbay" on the web.

                                  *        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                                  *        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                                    _____

                                • keenan424
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 3, 2006
                                    3T...Tomato throwing Terilyn...

                                    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2002/10/16/state1905EDT0142.DTL
                                    Anchor Joe leaving San Francisco Bay area NBC station

                                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Swank, Richard (NBC Universal,