DTV / HDTV in San Mateo.

  • kbarso
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2002
      I live near the Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo. Can I get DTV / HDTV? I
      have Directv. Going with Directv's HD setup does not give me enough
      channels to justify getting an oval dish. Analog OTA is horrible
      because of all the hills in the Bay Area. Should I get Directv's HD
      package or just HD OTA or wait until Directv adds mor HD channel and
      local HD?
    • davedarche
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
        kbarso,

        I would think you might get more value from OTA antenna. I live in
        the lower Belmont Hills near the El Camino and I get excellent
        reception from Sutro on the UHF digital equivalants of VHF stations.
        The OTA HD stations, even when not broadcasting an HD event are
        superior in quality over the locals on DirecTV. The amount of HD
        material is increasing slowly. In the evenings on all of the major
        channels, there is 3+ hours of HD material. This weekend, US Open
        tennis is in HD and is fantastic.

        However, you have to make a decision to either put up a combo
        vhf/uhf antenna with a rotor, to get NBC 11.1 or put up two
        stationary antennas (UHF at Sutro and VHF at San Jose - which is
        what I have done). In this scenerio, I currently sacrifice a few
        channels that are in s. Fremont area.

        I also have the oval dish with 3 heads and get 3 HD stations there
        as well. Hoping they will add more real soon.

        Dave - Belmont

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "kbarso" <kbarso@y...> wrote:
        > I live near the Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo. Can I get DTV / HDTV?
        > have Directv. Going with Directv's HD setup does not give me enough
        > channels to justify getting an oval dish. Analog OTA is horrible
        > because of all the hills in the Bay Area. Should I get Directv's HD
        > package or just HD OTA or wait until Directv adds mor HD channel
        and
        > local HD?
      • Jon Johnsen
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
          At 03:05 PM 9/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
[...]

          What set top box do you use?

          JJohnsen@...

          Richmond, CA

        • David Caine
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
            Two points:

            1) I'm in Foster City and get all the channels from
            Sutro and 11-1 with a simple, indoor-mounted Terk
            TV55. As I'm sure the other members of the group will
            tell you, it isn't supposed to be a great antenna, but
            it has worked for me perhaps because of good location.
            Hillsdale Mall is not that far away, so perhaps try a
            pair of rabbit ears or something to test out your
            reception ability first.

            2) The oval dish is not that expensive, maybe $100 or
            $150. The receivers are more expensive, but if you
            are going to get HD-OTA, you are likely going to get a
            receiver with HD-Directv ability too. Anyway, you can
            bargain down people too. I got a great deal at
            Hillsdale mall - of course, I was buying a tv too, but
            all I had to say was that I was going to shop around
            and they let me name my price. Point being, there is
            not a lot of HD-content, but what is there is quite
            enjoyable. Good widescreen movies and good original
            content on HBO (Sopranos in HD (upconvert, I think)).

            -Dave

            --- kbarso <kbarso@...> wrote:
            > I live near the Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo. Can I
            > get DTV / HDTV? I
            > have Directv. Going with Directv's HD setup does not
            > give me enough
            > channels to justify getting an oval dish. Analog OTA
            > is horrible
            > because of all the hills in the Bay Area. Should I
            > get Directv's HD
            > package or just HD OTA or wait until Directv adds
            > mor HD channel and
            > local HD?

            http://finance.yahoo.com
          • Peter Simon
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
              Message
              What are people doing who are in the shadow of Mt., San Bruno  (Millbrae and Burlingame Hills, etc)

              --- kbarso <kbarso@...> wrote:
              > I live near the Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo. Can I
              > get DTV / HDTV? I
              > have Directv. Going with Directv's HD setup does not
              > give me enough
              > channels to justify getting an oval dish. Analog OTA
              > is horrible
              > because of all the hills in the Bay Area. Should I
              > get Directv's HD
              > package or just HD OTA or wait until Directv adds
              > mor HD channel and
              > local HD?

            • Chris Rempel

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
                  I know the default for this mailing list is "reply to all," but could we please keep the personal replies and job wanted ads off the general list? All it takes is a little attention to whom your reply is addressed.

                  Thanks,
                  - Bob

                  At 04:50 PM 9/1/02, you wrote:
                  >Should be not problem. I live in San Mateo and I have been professionally installing antennas for over a dozen years now. If you want help call me at [snip]
                • bobbyrock94928
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
                    In some defense of Chris here, he's been advising many people on this
                    list for a long time. Not all of his advise is for money. Maybe his
                    post was a veiled commercial, and some of his are, but let's give him
                    the benefit of the doubt. All he said in this recent post was that
                    he lived in the same town as the original poster, he was a pro, and
                    to call him if they need help.

                    Bobby C

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002

                      Peter Simon wrote:

                       What are people doing who are in the shadow of Mt., San Bruno  (Millbrae and Burlingame Hills, etc)

                      It depends on how close they are to Mt. San Bruno.  Millbrae and Burlingame are no problem.  San Bruno and South San Francisco are a problem.  They need larger much higher gain antennas.  If they live right up against the face of the mountain, then they are out of luck.  About 4 miles from the mountain seems to be OK.

                      Chris aka the antenna doctor

                      P. S. Today we where the cable surgeons.  We fixed a house that the cable company gave up on after 3 tries.

                      --- kbarso <kbarso@...> wrote:
                      > I live near the Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo. Can I
                      > get DTV / HDTV? I
                      > have Directv. Going with Directv's HD setup does not
                      > give me enough
                      > channels to justify getting an oval dish. Analog OTA
                      > is horrible
                      > because of all the hills in the Bay Area. Should I
                      > get Directv's HD
                      > package or just HD OTA or wait until Directv adds
                      > mor HD channel and
                      > local HD?

                    • dino729
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 5, 2002
                        Hi Chris,

                        I live at the foot of San Bruno Mountain (Soth San Fran side) ..
                        right next to the Oyster Point exit. Based on your comment, am I out
                        of luck to receive any OTA HD signals? I just bought the RS bowtie
                        and will try it out later.

                        Tx

                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Chris Rempel <chrisrem@r...> wrote:

                        > Peter Simon wrote:
                        >
                        > > What are people doing who are in the shadow of Mt., San Bruno
                        > > (Millbrae and Burlingame Hills, etc)
                        > >
                        > > It depends on how close they are to Mt. San Bruno. Millbrae and
                        > > Burlingame are no problem. San Bruno and South San Francisco are
                        > > problem. They need larger much higher gain antennas. If they
                        live
                        > > right up against the face of the mountain, then they are out of
                        luck.
                        > > About 4 miles from the mountain seems to be OK.
                        > >
                        > > Chris aka the antenna doctor
                        > >
                        > > P. S. Today we where the cable surgeons. We fixed a house that
                        the
                        > > cable company gave up on after 3 tries.

                        Service.