MPEG4 on Directv

  • Edward Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2006
      I'm using a Sony SAT-HD200 to recieve Directv HD signals as shown on
      their site http://directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_package.jsp

      I also get the in HD: HBO,Showtime, CBSW & ABCW (LA feeds)

      I have been thinking of replacing my second (origional) RCA receiver
      (SD) with something new - Most desirably a DVR (Tivo?)

      However I keep hearing (on this group) about MPEG4 channels and
      receivers. I have read publicity articles that Directv has or will be
      launching more satalites to increase the number of HD channels. I
      also read that they will be broadcasting these HD channels in MPEG4

      So -- now for my questions about Directv reception.

      Are they now braodcasting additional HD channels (Bay area) in MPEG4
      which I cannot get (with my Sony HD200) and which they do not
      advertise? I saw reference (in this group) to KTVU and KPIX

      I've been reading about the H20 receiver with its problems. Are there
      any other receivers anyone recommends with MPEG4?

      I am very interested in Directv local HDs because my reception OTA is
      very spotty with my in-the-attic UHF-VHF outdoor type antenna. I live
      in Campbell in a townhouse and they allow a mini-dish but not a full
      sized outdoor antenna. The siding of my building has 'chicken wire'
      in it and I am guessing that this attenuates the signals. Last year I
      received all the HD OTAs quite well. NOw I only get KNTV with any
      reliablilty. I keep hoping the Suttro tower problems wil be/stay fixed.

      What about the H10 and HR10-250? Recommended? MPEG4?
      http://www.2000networks.com/receiver.html

      Lastly do you recommend that I wait for new MPEG4 recievers to come
      available?

      Thanks for considering my questions
      Edward
    • stevenjgold
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2006
        wow, lots o' questions.

        directv broadcast, fox ktvu, cbs kpix, nbc kntv, abc kgo, espn, espn2,
        hdnet, hdnetmovies, uhd, discovery hd, hbo hd, showtime hd, cdhd(new
        music hd channel) and certain premium sports things like sunday
        ticket, nba, etc. oh yeah, there's also spice hd. if you have waivers
        you can also pick up networks out of LA, but they're tough to get here
        cause you can technically get locals, unless you're grandfathered in
        or very persistent.

        don't know of any other mpeg 4 receivers besides h20, i've had no
        problems with my h20 and 5lnb dish except for crumby ktvu hd. it's
        signal is lower than others, but doesn't seem to impact picture for me
        (except ktvu).

        if you can only have small dish, then forget it - 5lnb dish is very
        BIG and very heavy.

        h10 does not pick up mpeg 4 and neither does hr10-250 - either of
        those will pick up all other hd programming, but not locals.

        there's a lot of hype about the hr20-250 - due anywhere from march '06
        or later. but you will need 5lnb dish to pick up locals in hd.

        if i were you, i'd wait for the 20-250 to come out, see if you can
        even put up the bigger 5lnb dish and wait to see if the 20-250 is even
        any good - i'd expect bugs for a while - just seems to be the norm
        with new equipment.

        hope this helps...
      • Edward Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2006
          Thanks for the answer. Do you mean you can get fox ktvu, kpix, kntv,
          kgo and nbc HD by using the H20 and larger dish? Do you still pay
          $10 or $11/ mo for HD?

          I sent an email once asking why I can't get NBCW and they gave me a
          bulls... answer that I could get it OTA

          It is interesting I have never seen advertised nor on their web site,
          anything about Local HD.

          EDward

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "stevenjgold" <sjgold@e...> wrote:

          > wow, lots o' questions.
          >
          > directv broadcast, fox ktvu, cbs kpix, nbc kntv, abc kgo, espn, espn2,
          > hdnet, hdnetmovies, uhd, discovery hd, hbo hd, showtime hd, cdhd(new
          > music hd channel) and certain premium sports things like sunday
          > ticket, nba, etc. oh yeah, there's also spice hd. if you have waivers
          > you can also pick up networks out of LA, but they're tough to get here
          > cause you can technically get locals, unless you're grandfathered in
          > or very persistent.
          >
          > don't know of any other mpeg 4 receivers besides h20, i've had no
          > problems with my h20 and 5lnb dish except for crumby ktvu hd. it's
          > signal is lower than others, but doesn't seem to impact picture for me
          > (except ktvu).
          >
          > if you can only have small dish, then forget it - 5lnb dish is very
          > BIG and very heavy.
          >
          > h10 does not pick up mpeg 4 and neither does hr10-250 - either of
          > those will pick up all other hd programming, but not locals.
          >
          > there's a lot of hype about the hr20-250 - due anywhere from march '06
          > or later. but you will need 5lnb dish to pick up locals in hd.
          >
          > if i were you, i'd wait for the 20-250 to come out, see if you can
          > even put up the bigger 5lnb dish and wait to see if the 20-250 is even
          > any good - i'd expect bugs for a while - just seems to be the norm
          > with new equipment.
          >
          > hope this helps...

        • stevenjgold
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 27, 2006
            yes, i get the SF locals (ktvu, kpix, kntv,kgo) in HD with the h20 and
            larger dish. i also applied for waivers to try and get the la feeds of
            the networks (which come through mpeg 2), but all were denied. from
            what i understand, the only way to get those LA or NY feeds is either
            to live in LA or NY, or in a market that gets no HD locals, or if
            you've had them from before the rules changed (fcc, shevra, etc.) you
            can read all about that here:

            http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=515808&page=1&pp=30

            Dtv is touting locals in HD - they're just not being very clear with
            their customers about who can actually get them - i believe SF is one
            of only 20 markets where you can get them now with more rolling out
            throughtout the year and beyond...

            when i signed up (a few months ago) they told me i would get my locals
            in HD - so i got the 3lnb dish and the hr10-250 installed and they did
            not get the locals in HD. when i called to complain they said, well
            you can get the locals in HD, but not with the equipment we installed.
            so my options were to get them OTA or have them come back out and give
            me a 5lnb dish and an h20 9 - which i had them do for no extra charge
            and i also kept the hr10-250 so i would have the dvr function. so now
            i've got both the h20 and hr10-250 going into seperate inputs in the
            tv - and use the 10-250 as my "go to" receiver and switch over to h20
            when i wanna watch locals in HD. a temporary solution until new 20-250
            comes out (i hope)

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Smith" <ebsmith1@p...>
            wrote:

            > Thanks for the answer. Do you mean you can get fox ktvu, kpix, kntv,
            > kgo and nbc HD by using the H20 and larger dish? Do you still pay
            > $10 or $11/ mo for HD?
            >
            > I sent an email once asking why I can't get NBCW and they gave me a
            > bulls... answer that I could get it OTA
            >
            > It is interesting I have never seen advertised nor on their web site,
            > anything about Local HD.
            >
            > EDward
            >

            > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "stevenjgold" <sjgold@e...> wrote:
            > >
            > > wow, lots o' questions.
            > >
            > > directv broadcast, fox ktvu, cbs kpix, nbc kntv, abc kgo, espn, espn2,
            > > hdnet, hdnetmovies, uhd, discovery hd, hbo hd, showtime hd, cdhd(new
            > > music hd channel) and certain premium sports things like sunday
            > > ticket, nba, etc. oh yeah, there's also spice hd. if you have waivers
            > > you can also pick up networks out of LA, but they're tough to get here
            > > cause you can technically get locals, unless you're grandfathered in
            > > or very persistent.
            > >
            > > don't know of any other mpeg 4 receivers besides h20, i've had no
            > > problems with my h20 and 5lnb dish except for crumby ktvu hd. it's
            > > signal is lower than others, but doesn't seem to impact picture for me
            > > (except ktvu).
            > >
            > > if you can only have small dish, then forget it - 5lnb dish is very
            > > BIG and very heavy.
            > >
            > > h10 does not pick up mpeg 4 and neither does hr10-250 - either of
            > > those will pick up all other hd programming, but not locals.
            > >
            > > there's a lot of hype about the hr20-250 - due anywhere from march '06
            > > or later. but you will need 5lnb dish to pick up locals in hd.
            > >
            > > if i were you, i'd wait for the 20-250 to come out, see if you can
            > > even put up the bigger 5lnb dish and wait to see if the 20-250 is even
            > > any good - i'd expect bugs for a while - just seems to be the norm
            > > with new equipment.
            > >
            > > hope this helps...

          • Steve Lee
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 27, 2006
              Yes, I have an H20 with the larger dish and get all
              the local channels in HD and SD on DirecTV.
              Essentially in the guide there are 2 channel 2's, 5's,
              7's, 11's. One is the HD stream and the other is SD.
              If you also have a UHF OTA antenna then you would have
              3 channels of 2/5/7/11.

              The HD locals are included when you pay the $10/month
              HD package so if you upgrade to an H20 and larger dish
              you essentially get the HD locals for free or included
              in what you are already paying.

              thanks

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • hyy55
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 30, 2006
                I got a notice saying the HD package is $9.99 starting
                in March.

                Shouldn't you get the locals if you just get an HD box
                and subscribe to locals? After all, I get the LA
                feeds now without subscribing to the local package.

                There still isn't enough stuff in the HD package to
                justify $10 a month. Maybe D* realized it and so is
                forcing HD Package down people's throats by forcing
                you to get it in order to get locals.

                Way to drive customers to Comcast...

                --- Steve Lee <stelee1969@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > crumby ktvu hd. it's
                > > > signal is lower than others, but doesn't seem to
                > > impact picture for me
                > > > (except ktvu).
                > > >
                > > > if you can only have small dish, then forget it
                > -
                > > 5lnb dish is very
                > > > BIG and very heavy.
                > > >
                > > > h10 does not pick up mpeg 4 and neither does
                > > hr10-250 - either of
                > > > those will pick up all other hd programming, but
                > > not locals.
                > > >
                > > > there's a lot of hype about the hr20-250 - due
                > > anywhere from march '06
                > > > or later. but you will need 5lnb dish to pick up
                > > locals in hd.
                > > >
                > > > if i were you, i'd wait for the 20-250 to come
                > > out, see if you can
                > > > even put up the bigger 5lnb dish and wait to see
                > > if the 20-250 is even
                > > > any good - i'd expect bugs for a while - just

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Steve Lee
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 30, 2006

                  Good question, you should call and ask them if you
                  have the H20 and MPEG4 capable 5LNB Dish and pay for
                  SF Bay Area locals only($5.99/month) does that include
                  the local HD simulcasts without the HD package.

                  thanks

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Rob Gendreau
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                    They can be kinda clueless at DTV. They told me when I ordered my HD
                    DVR that I couldn't get the locals, AT ALL. I said that I thought I
                    would still get the same locals I got without HD with my current
                    Series one Directivos, but she said nope. So I'm not sure all their
                    reps know what they're doing.

                    Since I have to have the DVR function I'm content with getting the
                    local HD OTA, but I've got a straight shot at the tower and do fine
                    with an indoor antenna.

                    Parenthetically, it's amazing how little info gets out to consumers
                    about OTA HD. I talked to someone, for example, who had a "HD ready
                    TV" which I strongly suspect has an ATSC tuner who didn't even know
                    she could get HDTV. Comcast had befuddled her into thinking she'd
                    have to upgrade, yada yada and pay all this money to get them, when
                    all she really wants is the local sports over HD. Which she could get
                    for free. Sheesh. Almost as bad as cell phone slamming.

                    Rob
                  • stephen_couch
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Hi, Rob:

                      DirecTV CSRs are generally clueless. Don't rely on them for accurate
                      information. That's what this group and avsforum.com does. :-)

                      Your friend's HDTV-ready set probably does not have an ATSC tuner
                      built in. Generally, HDTV-ready is marketing speak for no built-in
                      ATSC tuner. If you really want to confirm this, you'll need the
                      model number of the set and the manufacturer. You could then do a
                      search on avsforum.com and read about that set. Good luck.

                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Rob Gendreau