1920x1080 at 1/4

  • cbsears_sf
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
      I just got an EyeTV 500 for my 1.42GHz MacMini and 20" Cinema. I'll
      be installing a rooftop antenna on my apartment but for now with a
      Terk indoor I can get several Sutro Tower stations including KRON-HD.

      The stream info on KRON-HD says 1920x1080 at 1/4. My display is 1680
      x 1050 and the image doesn't seem 1/4 resolution. Any explanation?

      Chris
    • Matt Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
        cbsears_sf wrote:
        > I just got an EyeTV 500 for my 1.42GHz MacMini and 20" Cinema. I'll
        > be installing a rooftop antenna on my apartment but for now with a
        > Terk indoor I can get several Sutro Tower stations including KRON-HD.
        >
        > The stream info on KRON-HD says 1920x1080 at 1/4. My display is 1680
        > x 1050 and the image doesn't seem 1/4 resolution. Any explanation?

        The MacMini doesn't have enough CPU to display 1920x1080 at full frame
        rate. EyeTV is telling you its dropping frames.

        --
        Matt Thomas email: matt@...
        3am Software Foundry www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
          > The MacMini doesn't have enough CPU to display 1920x1080 at full frame
          > rate. EyeTV is telling you its dropping frames.

          The framerate is 29.97 according to the stream info. If it were
          dropping 3/4 of the frames, the motion would be really juddery.

          I figured out that what happens is if you have less than a dual-G5
          (that would be me), the video is first scaled down to half-resolution
          in each dimension (4 pixels become 1). So 1080i becomes 960x540. Then
          the video is scaled up to fit the display. Quicktime probably does
          this all in a single step and very efficiently.

          The result is pretty good, especially for the price.
          But I really need to get an outdoor antenna.

          Chris
        • Adam Steinberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
            Hi Chris,

            As you noticed, EyeTV isn't dropping frames -- it always records the entire
            transport stream to disk. On systems where processor speed, graphics card
            performance or memory bandwidth isn't sufficient to push the full resolution
            out to the display, we scale during MPEG-2 decoding. Since QuickTime doesn't
            come with a built-in MPEG-2 decoder, we wrote our own, which allows us to do
            this quite efficiently.

            Best regards,

            Adam

            --
            Adam Steinberg
            Director, Product Line Management

            Elgato Systems LLC
            900 Kearny Street Suite 750 San Francisco, CA 94133-5145
            T 415/391-0310 x235 F 415/391-0329 www.elgato.com

            On 1/1/06 12:57 PM, "cbsears_sf" <cbsears_sf@...> wrote:

            >> The MacMini doesn't have enough CPU to display 1920x1080 at full frame
            >> rate. EyeTV is telling you its dropping frames.
            >
            > The framerate is 29.97 according to the stream info. If it were
            > dropping 3/4 of the frames, the motion would be really juddery.
            >
            > I figured out that what happens is if you have less than a dual-G5
            > (that would be me), the video is first scaled down to half-resolution
            > in each dimension (4 pixels become 1). So 1080i becomes 960x540. Then
            > the video is scaled up to fit the display. Quicktime probably does
            > this all in a single step and very efficiently.
            >
            > The result is pretty good, especially for the price.
            > But I really need to get an outdoor antenna.
            >
            > Chris
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • cbsears_sf
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
              Adam

              well, since you keep the entire transport stream, it would be uber
              cool to allow full resolution closeups on slow motion replay.

              2.0?

              Chris