Re: Does KGO have a lower signal lately?

  • scottc6666
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1 12:23 PM
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "pdawg171717" <pdawg17@s...>
      wrote:

      > Until recently, I was around 70-75 for KGO and now I can't get higher
      > than 60...I even went up on the roof and tried to adjust it...I can't
      > get it any higher...I thought it was because of the weather lately but
      > all of my other channels have stayed the same...anyone else see
      > changes with KGO?

      I did notice that KGO lost signal for a couple of minutes yesterday
      afternoon but other than that I've had no problems. I don't bother
      with "signal strength" though because the numbers are usually
      meaningless. You either get the signal or not.
    • pdawg171717
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1 4:19 PM
        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "scottc6666" <scottc@k...>
        wrote:

        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "pdawg171717" <pdawg17@s...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Until recently, I was around 70-75 for KGO and now I can't get
        higher
        > > than 60...I even went up on the roof and tried to adjust it...I
        can't
        > > get it any higher...I thought it was because of the weather
        lately but
        > > all of my other channels have stayed the same...anyone else see
        > > changes with KGO?
        > >
        > I did notice that KGO lost signal for a couple of minutes yesterday
        > afternoon but other than that I've had no problems. I don't bother
        > with "signal strength" though because the numbers are usually
        > meaningless. You either get the signal or not.

        I don't usually go by the signal strength either but the reason I
        noticed is because during shows like Lost and Grey's Anatomy
        (actually my wife told me it happened during this show), I have been
        getting some short, quick pixelations/freezes...that tells me I'm
        right on the border of signal/no signal...can an "unprotected" coax
        connection cause signal problems? The cable attached to the antenna
        is only a couple of months old but with the recent rains could that
        screw things up?
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1 8:54 PM
          wrote:

          > I don't usually go by the signal strength either but the reason I
          > noticed is because during shows like Lost and Grey's Anatomy
          > (actually my wife told me it happened during this show), I have
          been getting some short, quick pixelations/freezes...that tells me
          I'm right on the border of signal/no signal...can an "unprotected"
          coax connection cause signal problems? The cable attached to the
          antenna is only a couple of months old but with the recent rains
          could that screw things up?

          pdawg171717,

          Water getting inside the coaxial cable is not a good thing. Sealing
          off and weather proofing the connection at the antenna is strongly
          advised.

          With regard to the signal level / quality level meter(s), some
          receivers have both, they are valuable in that they can give one an
          idea of how close they are to the "cliff-edge" reception wise, and
          what the fade margin might be when rain, fog, etc, come in.

          Some viewers think that because they have a "perfect" picture they
          have a strong signal, which is sometimes not the case.

          LopakaBob
        • Chris Rempel
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1 10:40 PM
            > > Until recently, I was around 70-75 for KGO and now I can't get
            higher
            > > than 60...I even went up on the roof and tried to adjust it...I
            can't
            > > get it any higher...I thought it was because of the weather
            lately but
            > > all of my other channels have stayed the same...anyone else see
            > > changes with KGO?
            > >
            > I did notice that KGO lost signal for a couple of minutes yesterday
            > afternoon but other than that I've had no problems. I don't bother
            > with "signal strength" though because the numbers are usually
            > meaningless. You either get the signal or not.

            I don't usually go by the signal strength either but the reason I
            noticed is because during shows like Lost and Grey's Anatomy
            (actually my wife told me it happened during this show), I have been
            getting some short, quick pixelations/freezes...that tells me I'm
            right on the border of signal/no signal...can an "unprotected" coax
            connection cause signal problems? The cable attached to the antenna
            is only a couple of months old but with the recent rains could that
            screw things up?

            The intermittent instances of pixelations are caused by variations in the
            weather. It could be that the antenna is momentarily bending in the wind
            and getting out of alignment. It could also be that other objects blowing
            in the wind, or getting wet are changing the propagation characteristics.
            This is another reason why you need a good robust antenna system than is
            more than just what is minimally functional.

            As far as connections go being out doors. The connectors should be sealed
            and kept dry to prevent a built up of corrosion, particularly on the copper
            clad inner conductor. This is why better antennas include weather boots to
            put over the connectors to keep the water out. I know a lot of people
            ignore the weather boots because they use cables with pre-molded connectors
            and they can't get the weather boot on. This is one reason to have a system
            professionally installed. A good installer will put on the weather boots
            before the connectors, and then tape, and or sealant to keep the moisture
            out.

            Chris aka the antenna doctor

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • weim_nut
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2 8:23 AM
              I for one am having trouble getting KGO reception here in the South
              Bay (San Jose Cambrian area). I don't know exactly when it started.
              When I got home last night the TV won't lock on to the KGO signal at
              all(either 7-1 or 7-2). I figured it was related to the weather,
              but this morning I'm still in the same boat.

              FWIW, the signal strength indicator for both 7-1 and 7-2 is up
              around the 88% level as it is for all the other Sutro stations.

              So no one else is having any similar troubles?

              Thanks...

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Rempel" <chrisrem@r...>

> [...]
            • Bob
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2 12:30 PM
                weim_nut,

                KGO-DT's PSIP may have hiccupped the other day; virtual channel 7.1
                was missing yesterday. I dialed the receiver up to physical channel
                24. At that point the PSIP virtual channel information was
                reacquired and channel 24 changed back to 7.1

                You might want to give that a try.

                If that doesn't work with your receiver you could perform a channel /
                auto scan.

                LopakaBob

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "weim_nut" <weim_nut@y...>
                wrote:

                > I for one am having trouble getting KGO reception here in the South
                > Bay (San Jose Cambrian area). I don't know exactly when it
                started. When I got home last night the TV won't lock on to the KGO
                signal at all(either 7-1 or 7-2). I figured it was related to the
                weather, but this morning I'm still in the same boat.

                > FWIW, the signal strength indicator for both 7-1 and 7-2 is up
                > around the 88% level as it is for all the other Sutro stations.
                >
                > So no one else is having any similar troubles?
                >
                > Thanks...
                >

                > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Rempel"
                <chrisrem@r...>

              • scottc6666
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2 12:53 PM
                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Rempel" <chrisrem@r...>
                  wrote:
                  <snip>

                  > As far as connections go being out doors. The connectors
                  should be sealed
                  > and kept dry to prevent a built up of corrosion, particularly on
                  the copper
                  > clad inner conductor. This is why better antennas include weather
                  boots to
                  > put over the connectors to keep the water out. I know a lot of
                  people
                  > ignore the weather boots because they use cables with pre-molded
                  connectors
                  > and they can't get the weather boot on. This is one reason to have
                  a system
                  > professionally installed. A good installer will put on the weather
                  boots
                  > before the connectors, and then tape, and or sealant to keep the
                  moisture
                  > out

                  That's what I did with my outside connectors. I had to cut the boots
                  to fit over the connectors but I just sealed it together with
                  electrician's tape. Fortunately, the connectors et al are underneath
                  the eaves of the house and are fairly protected from the elements.

                • weim_nut
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2 2:43 PM
                    I don't think I can manually dial my tuner on my TV like you did...
                    Anyway, running an autoscan like you suggested worked! Thanks!!!