Aaargghhh. Commercials too loud!

  • bliffle
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
      Problem with HDTV is that they really turn up the noise on
      commercials. I suppose that this new Dolby encoding tells my modern
      amplifier when to scale up the sound. Sometimes it's not only the
      commercials but also the content dramatic music. Combine that with the
      modern tendency of actors to mumble a lot (so I've got the sound up
      anyway to understand what's going on) and it's really bad. I know my
      hearing has deteriorated with age, but I have no hearing problem on
      NPR or PBS, so it's a problem with the commercial networks.

    • Jim Peters
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
        I thought it was just me. I spent all this money on a surround sound system, and I have to wear headphones in order to hear the actors ...

        bliffle <bliffle@...> wrote:

        Problem with HDTV is that they really turn up the noise on
        commercials. I suppose that this new Dolby encoding tells my modern
        amplifier when to scale up the sound. Sometimes it's not only the
        commercials but also the content dramatic music. Combine that with the
        modern tendency of actors to mumble a lot (so I've got the sound up
        anyway to understand what's going on) and it's really bad. I know my
        hearing has deteriorated with age, but I have no hearing problem on
        NPR or PBS, so it's a problem with the commercial networks.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/bDIolB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Joe Huber
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
          Dialog seems to be quite at times. I have upped the level on the center
          channel so that the dialog is a bit higher.

          ~Joe