RE: Giants games in HD

  • Bob Spofford
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
      "Some of the games are broadcast on INHD and some are on KTVU-HD. Is there
      a listing of what games these channels will be showing?"

      The Giants website
      <http://giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=sf> shows the
      compete schedule, including which TV channel is broadcasting each game.

      They show a lot of them as FSBA-HD. The ones they show for KTVU don't
      mention HD one way or the other. Since the origination is HD, I'm just
      crossing my fingers and hoping that KTVU does the obvious and airs HD on
      their digital side. (But then, "doing the obvious" is somehow not all that
      popular in the world of programming.)

      Actually, they're airing their first home exhibition game on KTVU tonight,
      so maybe we'll see what their HD intentions are.
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
        The games shown on FSBA are not being delivered to KTVU-DT. If they
        were KTVU would air them.

        The cost of delivery to the station for each HD game is Very
        expensive. KTVU-DT may do some games in HD this year but it won't be
        a large number of games unless a sponsor comes along.

        LopakaBob

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Bob Spofford <spoffobiz@c...>
        wrote:

        <snip>

        > They show a lot of them as FSBA-HD. The ones they show for KTVU
        don't
        mention HD one way or the other. Since the origination is HD, I'm
        just
        crossing my fingers and hoping that KTVU does the obvious and airs HD
        on their digital side. (But then, "doing the obvious" is somehow not
        all that popular in the world of programming.)

        > Actually, they're airing their first home exhibition game on KTVU
        tonight, so maybe we'll see what their HD intentions are.
      • c m
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
          I would bet the only Giants games in HD on KTVU will be the ones Fox
          sports airs on a national level as the game of the week.

          Do they just crop the HD feed for the NTSC analog on KTVU, or is there
          a multiple camera setup?

          Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 23:29:22 -0000
          From: "Bob" <Lopakabob@...>
          Subject: Re: Giants games in HD

          The games shown on FSBA are not being delivered to KTVU-DT. If they
          were KTVU would air them.

          The cost of delivery to the station for each HD game is Very
          expensive. KTVU-DT may do some games in HD this year but it won't be
          a large number of games unless a sponsor comes along.

          LopakaBob

          "cHANCE fAVORS tHE pREPARED mIND", Louis Pasteur
        • Matt Thomas
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2005
            Today's opening day game is currently not in HD due to technical
            difficulties. According to the announcer, Charlie Steiner, it's
            actually the LA feed. And that's just wrong.
          • Matt Thomas
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2005
              Matt Thomas wrote:
              > Today's opening day game is currently not in HD due to technical
              > difficulties. According to the announcer, Charlie Steiner, it's
              > actually the LA feed. And that's just wrong.

              Around the 5th/6th inning, things got sorted out and the broadcast
              was switched to HD.

              It's going to be very hard to watch SD broadcasts on KTVU this
              year. The HD broadcast is 1080i and averages about 14.5Mb/s.
              I wonder why Fox Sports Net uses 1080i which Fox [Sports] uses
              720p.
            • Oda Nobunaga
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2005
              • Chris Kast
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2005
                  > It's going to be very hard to watch SD broadcasts on KTVU this
                  > year. The HD broadcast is 1080i and averages about 14.5Mb/s.
                  > I wonder why Fox Sports Net uses 1080i which Fox [Sports] uses
                  > 720p

                  Fox Sports Net and the Fox network are two entirely separate
                  companies. I believe FSN is owned by Rainbow Communications.

                  On Apr 5, 2005 3:33 PM, Matt Thomas <matt@...> wrote:
                  > Matt Thomas wrote:
                  > > Today's opening day game is currently not in HD due to technical
                  > > difficulties. According to the announcer, Charlie Steiner, it's
                  > > actually the LA feed. And that's just wrong.
                  >
                  > Around the 5th/6th inning, things got sorted out and the broadcast
                  > was switched to HD.
                  >
                  > It's going to be very hard to watch SD broadcasts on KTVU this
                  > year. The HD broadcast is 1080i and averages about 14.5Mb/s.
                  > I wonder why Fox Sports Net uses 1080i which Fox [Sports] uses
                  > 720p.

                • Jeff Rodrigues
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 6, 2005
                    Somew FSN affiliates are owned by Rainbow Media (which
                    included FSN Bay Area), while others are directly
                    owned by Fox.

                    --- Chris Kast <chriskast@...> wrote:
                    > > It's going to be very hard to watch SD broadcasts
                    > on KTVU this
                    > > year. The HD broadcast is 1080i and averages
                    > about 14.5Mb/s.
                    > > I wonder why Fox Sports Net uses 1080i which Fox
                    > [Sports] uses
                    > > 720p
                    >
                    > Fox Sports Net and the Fox network are two entirely
                    > separate
                    > companies. I believe FSN is owned by Rainbow
                    > Communications.
                    >
                    > On Apr 5, 2005 3:33 PM, Matt Thomas
                    > <matt@...> wrote:
                    > > Matt Thomas wrote:
                    > > > Today's opening day game is currently not in HD
                    > due to technical
                    > > > difficulties. According to the announcer,
                    > Charlie Steiner, it's
                    > > > actually the LA feed. And that's just wrong.
                    > >
                    > > Around the 5th/6th inning, things got sorted out
                    > and the broadcast
                    > > was switched to HD.
                    > >
                    > > It's going to be very hard to watch SD broadcasts
                    > on KTVU this
                    > > year. The HD broadcast is 1080i and averages
                    > about 14.5Mb/s.
                    > > I wonder why Fox Sports Net uses 1080i which Fox
                    > [Sports] uses
                    > > 720p.
                  • hyy55
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 6, 2005
                      Is there any difference in bitrates between the Giants
                      games on FSN and the Warriors games on FSN?

                      Lot of noise in Warrior games. Looks grainy in a lot
                      of places.

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail