Bad multiplixer?

  • David Caine
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1 10:23 PM
      Does anyone know how to tell whether you have a bad
      multiplexer for an oval directv dish?

      I'm not sure whether this is the source of the problem
      I've been experiencing? The only other possibility, I
      suppose, is the receiver (Sony SAT-HD100). The
      problem is that the screen will flicker. The best
      analogy I can think of is that it looks as though the
      picture is blinking just for a second. It happens
      every so often. Depending on the night, it can happen
      somewhat frequently (1x every couple of minutes or
      more) to infrequently. I haven't noticed it when
      watching OTA (which is plugged directly into the tv
      itself and the directv receiver) or cable to the best
      of my recollection - only when watching directv
      stations.

      It's been going on for several months now - it's a
      little annoying, but not so terrible that I had to
      tear my hair out trying to get it fixed.

      Any advice would be appreciated,

      -Dave

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Chris Rempel

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2 7:59 AM
          Bang'n and twist'n *does* work.

          My DTC100 will stop receiving commands
          from my remote. Tried another remote,
          no good. Tried the well tested bop to
          the receiver and the remote access returned.

          The best bop is really a slam. Over the last
          few months, the receiver has responded best
          to the "three inch drop".

          Funny this technical information is not
          included in the manual. ;o)

          --Mark in West San Jose

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Chris Rempel <chrisrem@r...> wrote:
          > You may have a loose connection somewhere. If you suspect the
          > multiswitch, rerun the installation software in the receiver. This
          will
          > include several tests that check out the multiswitch. If it is a
          loose
          > connection, try wiggling the wires and bang on the receiver in
          several
          > places while you watch the screen to see what happens. And yes this
          > comes from a professional who used to do this every day fixing
          > equipment.
          >
          > Chris aka the antenna doctor
          >
          > David Caine wrote:
          >
          > > Does anyone know how to tell whether you have a bad
          > > multiplexer for an oval directv dish?
          > >
          > > I'm not sure whether this is the source of the problem
          > > I've been experiencing? The only other possibility, I
          > > suppose, is the receiver (Sony SAT-HD100). The
          > > problem is that the screen will flicker. The best
          > > analogy I can think of is that it looks as though the
          > > picture is blinking just for a second. It happens
          > > every so often. Depending on the night, it can happen
          > > somewhat frequently (1x every couple of minutes or
          > > more) to infrequently. I haven't noticed it when
          > > watching OTA (which is plugged directly into the tv
          > > itself and the directv receiver) or cable to the best
          > > of my recollection - only when watching directv
          > > stations.
          > >
          > > It's been going on for several months now - it's a
          > > little annoying, but not so terrible that I had to
          > > tear my hair out trying to get it fixed.
          > >
          > > Any advice would be appreciated,
          > >
          > > -Dave

          Service.
        • Peter Cold
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2 3:44 PM
            that's funny! i've been having trouble getting audio
            out of my dtc100. i've been assuming that the optical
            cable has gone bad on me, but maybe i'll try the
            'swift kick in the arse' method described here :-)

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • xingbow
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5 12:48 AM
              Hi Chris (the antenna doctor),

              I have a question for you regarding antennas. I have two mid-sized
              VHF/UHF antennas. If I mount both of them on the same mast, will
              that be better than having just one? If the answering is yes, should
              I just combine all the leads into one co-ax cable? How about
              orientation, both in absolute terms and relative to one another
              between the two antennas? I am located in Los Altos on the peninsula.

              Thanks.

              Xingbo
            • Chris Rempel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6 11:12 AM

                xingbow wrote:

                 Hi Chris (the antenna doctor),

                I have a question for you regarding antennas. I have two mid-sized
                VHF/UHF antennas. If I mount both of them on the same mast, will
                that be better than having just one? If the answering is yes, should
                I just combine all the leads into one co-ax cable? How about
                orientation, both in absolute terms and relative to one another
                between the two antennas? I am located in Los Altos on the peninsula.

                Thanks.

                Xingbo

                The answer is no.  You will actually loose signal if you do that.  You have probably heard of stacking antennas, but that only works for a single channel, and you have to get the transmission line in phase, or it will not add properly. When you do stack single channel antennas, you get a gain of 2.9dB if then you use a splitter backwards, you get a 3.5 dB loss.  So even if you had everything else right, you would still loose 0.6dB.  The other trick with stacking antennas, is they have to be set at 1/2 of a wave length apart on the mast.  This is impossible to do with a broad band antenna.   If you want more signal, get a bigger antenna.  Or better yet raise it up higher.

                Chris  aka the antenna doctor