Re: can't find KNTV OTA broadcast

  • xbhoff
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2005
      > You're not receiving KNTV with your indoor antenna because they are
      > 55 miles south of you on Mt. Loma Prieta, which is south of San Jose.

      Well, that's clear enough. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

      Just out of curiosity, would that distance be prohibitive for decent UHF reception with an
      outdoor antenna as well, or is it just the fact that I'm using an indoor antenna?
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2005
        I'm on the hill between the Castro and Noe Valley east of Twin Peaks in
        San Francisco. I had to install a special VHF antenna cut for channel
        12 to get KNTV. With that it's solid with a signal of 70-77. KNTV on
        48.2 is there about 90% of the time using my CM4228, but the signal is
        on the cliff edge and occasionally drops out.

        With an indoor antenna don't expect to get anything except the Sutro
        stations and maybe the ones on Mt. San Bruno.

        For a list of all the digital stations, including their transmitter
        location, check out my web site:
        http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

        xbhoff wrote:
        >> You're not receiving KNTV with your indoor antenna because they are
        >> 55 miles south of you on Mt. Loma Prieta, which is south of San
        >> Jose.
        >
        > Well, that's clear enough. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
        >
        > Just out of curiosity, would that distance be prohibitive for decent
        > UHF reception with an outdoor antenna as well, or is it just the fact
        > that I'm using an indoor antenna?

      • mhensley_sj
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2005
          KNTV is on channel 12, which is VHF--not UHF. UHF starts at channel
          14.

          It's not prohibitive with an outdoor antenna. There are people in
          the North bay region who can get it with an outdoor antenna.

          Indoor antennas aren't good for much unless you're really close to
          the transmitter.

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "xbhoff" <xbhoff@y...> wrote:

          > > You're not receiving KNTV with your indoor antenna because they
          are
          > > 55 miles south of you on Mt. Loma Prieta, which is south of San
          Jose.

          > Well, that's clear enough. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
          >
          > Just out of curiosity, would that distance be prohibitive for
          decent UHF reception with an
          > outdoor antenna as well, or is it just the fact that I'm using an
          indoor antenna?
        • rc_and_e
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "mhensley_sj"
            <mhensley25@s...> wrote:

            ... <snip> ......

            > Indoor antennas aren't good for much unless you're really close to
            > the transmitter.

            Not always true.....I realize I'm more of an exception, but I'm 36
            miles from Sutro in south part of Sunnyvale and receive everything
            fine with an indoor antenna (and a Samsung T150).

            Ri-Chee
          • xbhoff
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
              > With an indoor antenna don't expect to get anything except the Sutro
              > stations and maybe the ones on Mt. San Bruno.

              Actually, I'm getting the Mt. San Bruno stations KTSF (27.1-2) and KKPX (41.1-4) with a
              consistently very strong signal.

              Thanks for the follow up.
            • Bob
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                Ri-Chee,

                What kind of indoor antenna are you using? Silver Sensor, Radio
                Shack Double-Bowtie, or something else?

                LopakaBob

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "rc_and_e" <rc_and_e@y...>
                wrote:
                > ... <snip> ......

                > Not always true.....I realize I'm more of an exception, but I'm 36
                > miles from Sutro in south part of Sunnyvale and receive everything
                > fine with an indoor antenna (and a Samsung T150).
                >
                > Ri-Chee
              • wilfsdad1965
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                  I'm using a TERK TV35 outdoor antenna, pointing at san jose from el
                  cerrito. i can pick up all the digital stations from there no
                  problem, kntv 11, univision 14, telemundo 48, kteh 54, although kteh
                  seems to have dropped it's power in the last couple of weeks as i get
                  a lot of dropout recently.
                  mark

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                    LopakaBob,

                    I've been using the Megawave MTV-1A (with Amplifier) for over two
                    years now. It just sits on top of my TV.
                    http://www.megawave.com/mtv1.htm As far as I know of, they only
                    sell direct. I had some work related dealings with them on some
                    military antenna programs (my primary area of technical expertise is
                    electromagnetics/antennas/propagation), and they gave me one for
                    free. Some of the things on the MTV antenna web page is typical
                    silly market hype they couldn't resist putting in, but, the
                    principals at the company are excellent antenna designer/engineers.

                    Previous to that, when I first got my Samsung 3 years ago, I
                    happened to be near Circuit City and for completely arbitrary
                    reasons (including the fact that my wife likes the way it looks), I
                    picked up the Terk TV-5 figuring I could return it if it didn't work
                    out. Lucky for me the Terk was able to pick up all the digital
                    broadcasts in the SF Bay area at that time. But I had to make minor
                    rotation adjustments between stations sometimes.

                    With the Megawave, I get stronger signals that the Terk, and almost
                    never have to adjust it's position and still pick up all the Bay
                    Area digital broadcasts. Both these antennas are essentially
                    amplified wideband dipoles, so they have main beams in opposite
                    directions. Part of my good fortune is that Sutro Tower and Loma
                    Prieta are in almost completely opposite directions from where I
                    live so they are both in an antenna main beam. Just out of
                    intellectual curiosity, I thought about getting a double bowtie and
                    silver sensor to play with and just to see how they compare. But
                    the problem for me with using one of those is I wouldn't be able to
                    get Sutro stations and KNTV with the either of those antennas fixed
                    in one position since they are directional antennas.

                    Ri-Chee

                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...> wrote:

                    > Ri-Chee,
                    >
                    > What kind of indoor antenna are you using? Silver Sensor, Radio
                    > Shack Double-Bowtie, or something else?
                    >
                    > LopakaBob
                    >

                    > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "rc_and_e" <rc_and_e@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > ... <snip> ......
                    >
                    > > Not always true.....I realize I'm more of an exception, but I'm
                    36
                    > > miles from Sutro in south part of Sunnyvale and receive
                    everything
                    > > fine with an indoor antenna (and a Samsung T150).
                    > >
                    > > Ri-Chee
                  • majicness
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                      i live in pacific heights up on the hill and i get KNTV 11.1 fine with
                      just a silver sensor. so i guess you never know.

                      michael

                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "wilfsdad1965"
                      <wilfsdad1965@y...> wrote:

                      > I'm using a TERK TV35 outdoor antenna, pointing at san jose from el
                      > cerrito. i can pick up all the digital stations from there no
                      > problem, kntv 11, univision 14, telemundo 48, kteh 54, although kteh
                      > seems to have dropped it's power in the last couple of weeks as i get
                      > a lot of dropout recently.
                      > mark
                      >
                      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "xbhoff" <xbhoff@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > You're not receiving KNTV with your indoor antenna because they
                      > are
                      > > > 55 miles south of you on Mt. Loma Prieta, which is south of San
                      > Jose.
                      > >
                      > > Well, that's clear enough. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
                      > >
                      > > Just out of curiosity, would that distance be prohibitive for
                      > decent UHF reception with an
                      > > outdoor antenna as well, or is it just the fact that I'm using an
                      > indoor antenna?
                    • mhensley_sj
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                        Which is why I almost never speak in absolutes, especially on this
                        board. There is usually *some* exception to the rule.

                        I would venture to guess you have an amplified indoor antenna,
                        though. Then again, that's not always the rule. From our upstairs
                        rooms (in W. San Jose), we can get decent analog pictures from SF
                        with a halo or bowtie antenna, unamplified, on a single TV. From our
                        downstairs rooms, we can't get anything with an indoor antenna
                        (amplified or not).

                        wrote:

                        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "mhensley_sj"
                        > <mhensley25@s...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > ... <snip> ......
                        > >
                        > > Indoor antennas aren't good for much unless you're really close
                        > > the transmitter.
                        > >

                        > Not always true.....I realize I'm more of an exception, but I'm 36
                        > miles from Sutro in south part of Sunnyvale and receive everything
                        > fine with an indoor antenna (and a Samsung T150).
                        >
                        > Ri-Chee
                      • rc_and_e
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                          As you have probably seen in a follow-up post responding to
                          LapokaBob's question, you are absolutely correct that my indoor
                          antenna is indeed amplified. It is being used in our family room
                          downstairs on the first floor.

                          When we first moved to our house in '98, it was brand new on a msall
                          private cul-de-sac, and (then) AT&T Cable refused to acknowledge our
                          existense for almost a year (despite the fact that they provided
                          service to our neighbor across the street, and cables from our 2
                          houses went to the same common box... grrrr.) At that time, I could
                          receive 36 and 44 all right, but only a couple of the VHF's (and
                          with great amount of noise) with a pair of rabbit ears. It was
                          because of this that I thought I would have a good chance getting
                          OTA digital with an indoor antenna. It was much better in the
                          upstairs bedroom, similar to your experience.

                          Ri-Chee

                          <mhensley25@s...> wrote:

                          > Which is why I almost never speak in absolutes, especially on this
                          > board. There is usually *some* exception to the rule.
                          >
                          > I would venture to guess you have an amplified indoor antenna,
                          > though. Then again, that's not always the rule. From our
                          upstairs
                          > rooms (in W. San Jose), we can get decent analog pictures from SF
                          > with a halo or bowtie antenna, unamplified, on a single TV. From
                          our
                          > downstairs rooms, we can't get anything with an indoor antenna
                          > (amplified or not).
                          >
                          > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "rc_and_e" <rc_and_e@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "mhensley_sj"
                          > > <mhensley25@s...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > ... <snip> ......
                          > > >
                          > > > Indoor antennas aren't good for much unless you're really
                          close
                          > > > the transmitter.
                          > > >

                          > > Not always true.....I realize I'm more of an exception, but I'm
                          36
                          > > miles from Sutro in south part of Sunnyvale and receive
                          everything
                          > > fine with an indoor antenna (and a Samsung T150).
                          > >
                          > > Ri-Chee
                        • Gary
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                            FYI:
                            I use a UHF Silver Sensor pointed north towards Sutro/San Bruno, but
                            receive KNTV 12 just fine, evn though it is both VHF and in the
                            opposite direction. I also receive KICU, KTEH, KSTS, and KDTV from a
                            similar rearward direction.

                            BTW, Sutro is some 38 miles away, according to Antennaweb, and I
                            receive all of those, and all of Mt. San Bruno, as well. That Silver
                            Sensor ain't too bad.

                            Gary

                            wrote:
                            > Just out of
                            > intellectual curiosity, I thought about getting a double bowtie
                            and
                            > silver sensor to play with and just to see how they compare. But
                            > the problem for me with using one of those is I wouldn't be able
                            > get Sutro stations and KNTV with the either of those antennas
                            fixed
                            > in one position since they are directional antennas.
                            >
                            > Ri-Chee
                          • Bob
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                              Ri-Chee,

                              Thanks for the detailed response and info on an antenna I didn't know
                              about.

                              wrote:

                              > LopakaBob,
                              >
                              > I've been using the Megawave MTV-1A (with Amplifier) for over two
                              > years now. It just sits on top of my TV.
                              > http://www.megawave.com/mtv1.htm As far as I know of, they only
                              > sell direct. I had some work related dealings with them on some
                              > military antenna programs (my primary area of technical expertise
                              is
                              > electromagnetics/antennas/propagation), and they gave me one for
                              > free. Some of the things on the MTV antenna web page is typical
                              > silly market hype they couldn't resist putting in, but, the
                              > principals at the company are excellent antenna designer/engineers.
                              >
                              > Previous to that, when I first got my Samsung 3 years ago, I
                              > happened to be near Circuit City and for completely arbitrary
                              > reasons (including the fact that my wife likes the way it looks), I
                              > picked up the Terk TV-5 figuring I could return it if it didn't
                              work
                              > out. Lucky for me the Terk was able to pick up all the digital
                              > broadcasts in the SF Bay area at that time. But I had to make
                              minor
                              > rotation adjustments between stations sometimes.
                              >
                              > With the Megawave, I get stronger signals that the Terk, and almost
                              > never have to adjust it's position and still pick up all the Bay
                              > Area digital broadcasts. Both these antennas are essentially
                              > amplified wideband dipoles, so they have main beams in opposite
                              > directions. Part of my good fortune is that Sutro Tower and Loma
                              > Prieta are in almost completely opposite directions from where I
                              > live so they are both in an antenna main beam. Just out of
                              > intellectual curiosity, I thought about getting a double bowtie and
                              > silver sensor to play with and just to see how they compare. But
                              > the problem for me with using one of those is I wouldn't be able to
                              > get Sutro stations and KNTV with the either of those antennas fixed
                              > in one position since they are directional antennas.
                              >
                              > Ri-Chee
                              >

                              > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Ri-Chee,
                              > >
                              > > What kind of indoor antenna are you using? Silver Sensor, Radio
                              > > Shack Double-Bowtie, or something else?
                              > >
                              > > LopakaBob
                              > >

                              > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "rc_and_e" <rc_and_e@y...>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > > ... <snip> ......
                              > >
                              > > > Not always true.....I realize I'm more of an exception, but I'm
                              > 36
                              > > > miles from Sutro in south part of Sunnyvale and receive
                              > everything
                              > > > fine with an indoor antenna (and a Samsung T150).
                              > > >
                              > > > Ri-Chee
                            • rc_and_e
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                                Thanks for the information, Gary! We must not live too far from each
                                other since we're both about the same distance from Sutro. Interesting
                                that the Silver Sensor has a big enough back lobe to pick up KNTV from
                                Loma Prieta from where we live. It's a great compact directional
                                broadband antenna. In this case, I'll definitely get one and
                                experiment.

                                Ri-Chee

                                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <gpenovich@s...> wrote:

                                > FYI:
                                > I use a UHF Silver Sensor pointed north towards Sutro/San Bruno, but
                                > receive KNTV 12 just fine, evn though it is both VHF and in the
                                > opposite direction. I also receive KICU, KTEH, KSTS, and KDTV from a
                                > similar rearward direction.
                                >
                                > BTW, Sutro is some 38 miles away, according to Antennaweb, and I
                                > receive all of those, and all of Mt. San Bruno, as well. That Silver
                                > Sensor ain't too bad.
                                >
                                > Gary
                                >
                                > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "rc_and_e" <rc_and_e@y...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > Just out of
                                > > intellectual curiosity, I thought about getting a double bowtie
                                > and
                                > > silver sensor to play with and just to see how they compare. But
                                > > the problem for me with using one of those is I wouldn't be able
                                > > get Sutro stations and KNTV with the either of those antennas
                                > fixed
                                > > in one position since they are directional antennas.
                                > >
                                > > Ri-Chee
                              • Chris Rempel
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                                  As they say in Real estate "Location, location, location" is the same true
                                  for antenna reception.

                                  <wilfsdad1965@y...> wrote:

                                  > I'm using a TERK TV35 outdoor antenna, pointing at san jose from el
                                  > cerrito. i can pick up all the digital stations from there no
                                  > problem, kntv 11, univision 14, telemundo 48, kteh 54, although kteh
                                  > seems to have dropped it's power in the last couple of weeks as i get
                                  > a lot of dropout recently.
                                  > mark
                                  >
                                  > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "xbhoff" <xbhoff@y...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > You're not receiving KNTV with your indoor antenna because they
                                  > are
                                  > > > 55 miles south of you on Mt. Loma Prieta, which is south of San
                                  > Jose.
                                  > >
                                  > > Well, that's clear enough. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
                                  > >
                                  > > Just out of curiosity, would that distance be prohibitive for
                                  > decent UHF reception with an
                                  > > outdoor antenna as well, or is it just the fact that I'm using an
                                  > indoor antenna?

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • Gary
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 4, 2005
                                    I thought it was what they say in the restaurant business.

                                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Rempel" <chrisrem@r...>