Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Comcast and LG HDTV receiver

  • Audi Avant
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
      Peter,
        Sorry about the confusion.  Before 8pm I can get the following on QAM tuner:

      117-1 ABC
      117-2 PBS HD (off air, blue screen stating no HD until 8pm)
      117-3 PBS SD
      117-4 PBS SD
      117-5 PBS SD
      117-6 PBS SD

      After 8pm I get:

      117-1 ABC (no issues still recieve it)
      117-2 PBS HD
      117-3 PBS SD
      117-4 Not available
      117-5 Not available
      117-6 Not available

      Now I have the 3410a with firmware 1.15.  So everything is working as it should.  Not sure why you lose ABC after 8pm.  Now I don't watch ABC much, but if it happens on your OTA as well, I would assume it may be ABC having problems.  I know some Broadcasters have had problems at times.  I will keep on the look out and keep you posted and see if I lose ABC tonight.  Keep in mind HD is still going through some growing pains.

      pmccolgan <pmccolgan@...> wrote:

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "todd95008" <todd95008@y...> wrote:

      > FYI: At 8:00PM comcast has to change PBS-HD (ch 117-2) from SD (480i)
      > to HD (1080i) ?? Somehow the LG box does not recognize these channels
      > once they are tuned off 117.

      The  box is not able to go back to channel 117 because KQED switches
      to HD. Something fishy going on... ;-(

      My big question - is it a problem with the box or a problem with the
      Comcast feed?

      If it were a problem with the box, I would have thought we would have
      seen other reports of this issues throughout the country from other
      cable providers. Have you contacted LG yet?
      If it were a problem with Comcast, I would have thought that many
      Comcast customers would have been complaining bitterly and they would
      have fixed it, since it has been around for a long time.

      Maybe a combination of the two?  If someone had a HighDef PC card,
      they could dump out the contents of 117-1 (ABC) before and after 8pm
      to see if anything had changed.

      peter
      ps. I'll try your experiment

      > Try my experiment and see if you get the same thing.

    • pmccolgan
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
        Audi

        Thanks very much - this is the first report I have seen of an LG tuner working as it should after
        8pm ;-) Todd who posted earlier is having the problem with his LG LST-3100a and several of us are
        having issues with the LST-4200a.

        Where in the Bay area are you located? I have read reports (on AVS Forum) from San Jose and
        Campbell of the same problem I am having, but with the 4200a. I can get 117-1 and 117-2 but I am
        unable to go back to them once I tune to another channel - e.g. 116. I assume that you can go up
        and down the channels with no problems?

        Could it be a LG LST-4200a problem then - supposedly the best ATSC/QAM Tuner on the market? I
        think I may go to Walmart and buy a US Direct tuner to see if it has the same issues.

        thanks

        Peter

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
      • Audi Avant

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
            Thanks Audi for your response - much appreciated

            I hate to debug the LG LST-4200a problem on air like this, but it might be of use to other folks
            like Todd who have the same issue. It's funny how this QAM/ATSC tuner is being touted as the best
            out there.. and yet it doesn't seem to do the job ;-(

            Two others (PChan and MrWonton) have reported identical problems with their LG 4200a boxes on AVS
            Forum with the same channel - 117
            (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=514905)

            > Just finished watching, "My Wife and Kids" on 117-1 after 8pm. No issues going up and down.

            Lucky you ;-)

            > When you say you loose channel 117-1 are you able to get to it by inputing the channel manually
            > or just when you scroll with the channel button?

            I have tried both ways - I get a signal, but blank screen and no sound. All 117 channels are the
            same - impacts KGO (ABC) on 117-1 also.

            > Also have you issued a rescan and possibly
            > find that ABC HD is remapped to another channel after 8pm? I live in Union City near Fremont.

            Yes - tried that several times with no success. Also none of us locals with the 4200a can use
            PSIP properly - we need to input 79-7 rather than 5-1 since 5-1 shows a blank screen. How is it
            with your 3410a?

            I am emailing with Robert of valueelectronics.com who is an authorized LG dealers and hopefully
            they can figure out what is happening and fix it...

            peter
            p.s. the USDirect unit that Walmart sells is just an OTA tuner so no use in doing a comparison

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Audi Avant
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
              Hey Peter,
                 79-7 is what it suppose to be.  That is how it is with the Fusion HDTV PC cards and other TV sets with built in QAM tuner too.  I believe the cable company has control of this.  I didn't think PSIP was even used for Cable QAM.  When CBS was having PSIP issues, only the OTA channel (5-1) was effected and not the Cable channel (79-7)