Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: No NBC in Alameda???

  • dave_horne@i2.com
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 6, 2002
      They are all amplified and claim to offer a gain of 16 to 20. Is this not
      enough - or is their more to the story?

      Dave Horne
      Executive Vice President and GM
      SRM and Content Solutions Business Unit
      i2 Technologies
      (650) 428-2727

      Contact Lori Clerkin (650) 526-3369 for scheduling

      This message and the electronic datafiles attached to it, if any
      (collectively hereinafter referred to as "this communication") are
      CONFIDENTIAL and may well be PRIVILEGED and, unless specifically otherwise
      indicated, do not confer any license for the recipient to utilize this
      communication in any way. They are intended only for the use by the
      addressee. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
      you are hereby notified of its status. Any dissemination, copy or use by
      you of this communication for any purpose is strictly prohibited. Please
      delete all electronic copies and destroy any hard copies of this
      communication which you may have created and notify me immediately at my
      above e-mail address

      Chris Rempel
      <chrisrem@rcn. To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
      com> cc:
      Subject: Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: No NBC in Alameda???
      06/06/02 10:56
      AM
      Please respond
      HDTV-in-SFbay

      Dave,

      Those antennas that you are referring to are omni directional antennas with
      no gain. They may be low profile and look better, but they don't work as
      well. The way a good antenna works is it concentrates the signal from one
      direction. It acts like a net to catch the signal, so the smaller it is
      the less signal it catches. You can try putting an antenna in your attic
      unless the roof is made of tile, concrete or metal. Here is the link to
      the FCC rules against cc&r's www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

      dave_horne@... wrote:

      Chris,

      I don't have an antenna (and I may never have one), but I can answer
      your
      question. I live in a new community in East Pleasanton with CCR's
      against
      antennas (I know the feds say the CCR's aren't legal), but no one in
      my
      neighborhood has an antenna on their roof. The big Yagi's are truly
      ugly
      and would offend my neighbors (and my wife wouldn't put up with that).
      too saw the Terk, but concluded it was too good to be true (and
      everyone on
      this board has backed it up).

      I have also found a number of less ugly units through Titan, Stark,
      and
      antennaweb, but I don't hear much about them:

      Channelmaster 3000A
      Winegard GS2000
      Winegard MS2000
      Antennacraft 5MS2000

      Do you or anyone else out there know anything about any of these?

      Chris Rempel
      <chrisrem@rcn. To:
      HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
      com> cc:
      Subject: Re:
      [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: No NBC in Alameda???
      06/05/02 12:26
      PM
      Please respond
      HDTV-in-SFbay

      Why is it that everybody first buys a TERK (Terrible Electronic
      Receiving
      Kit) and then finds out that what they really need is a good quality
      antenna properly placed like Channel Master or Winegard?

      JohnnieWaiSF wrote:
      I saw a channel master omnidirectional antenna. Would that be a
      better choice? I guess I can always sell the Terk TV55. I got it
      pretty cheap ($80.00 including shipping and tax). I can get the
      channel master omnidirectional for around $75.00. Does anyone
      want to
      buy the Terk TV55?

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "Peter Simon" <simon@u...> wrote:
      > NBC is from San Jose and on VHF band. That may be your
      problem. I

      > live in Millbrae and can ONLY get KNTV (NBC) and nothing from
      Sutro
      > (even though its much closer). I cannot solve my problem.
      have
      > heard that Terk TV55 is not a great antenna

      NBC
      at
      > all. I have a regular rabbit ear antenna with amplification. I
      get
      75-
      > 95% signal on all channels except NBC, which I can't even get a

      > signal. Does anyone know what is going on here? I have a Sony
      SAT
      > HD100. I have a Terk TV55 on order and should arrive this week.

      > Perhaps that may help but if anyone has any tips, please help!
      >
      > John
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <
      http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2097561.3556641.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17

      05
      http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=213858.2097561.3556641.1829184/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=1705016061:HM/A=763352/rand=124281066>

      Service
      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      Service.

    • Chris Rempel
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 7, 2002
        If you pay my labor rate.

        JohnnieWaiSF wrote:

         Can I test it out before I buy it?

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Chris Rempel <chrisrem@r...> wrote:
        > I'll sell you one.  $50   CM0581 Joiner $20
        >
        > Chris  aka the antenna doctor
        >

        > JohnnieWaiSF wrote:
        >
        > >  Where do I get the Winegard CC-3113. I can't find it online
        anywhere.

        > > Thanks,
        > > John
        > >
        > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Chris Rempel <chrisrem@r...> wrote:
        > > > An omni antenna from Alameda will not be enough to get NBC from
        San
        > > > Jose.  I recommend The Winegard  CC-3113 along with the Channel
        > > Master
        > > > 0581 Joiner to add to a UHF antenna pointed at Sutro Tower in
        San
        > > > Francisco.  The Winegard antenna should be mounted at least 3ft
        > > above
        > > > all objects in the direction of San Jose.
        > > >
        > > > Chris aka the antenna doctor.

        > > want to

        > > problem.   I

        > > Sutro