Re: KTVU-DT no signal tonight

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
      Multipath is a possibility. Not sure what you are using but
      directional UHF-only antennas mounted outdoors and properly aimed
      work best.

      It's worth noting that all DTV stations at Sutro will be off the air
      from approximately 8am to 4pm on Tuesday, and probably on Wednesday
      during daytime hours as well.

      Thought I would pass that on in case you are trying to point an
      antenna during those days/hours.

      LopakaBob

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "crippe420" <crippe420@h...>
      wrote:

      > KRON 4.1 and 4.2 both come in great. tried rebooting and
      rescanning,
      > but no luck. the signal stregth seems to bee really jumpy, near
      100%
      > one moment then drops to 0. does that sound typical of cliff edge
      > effect? anything i can do to combat this (besides get a better
      > antenna) i hope i can get this worked out before sunday.
      >
      > thanks for any help!
      > dan (kicking myself for buying an overpriced POS antenna)
      >
      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...> wrote:
      > >
      > > When you say "all the other Sutro stations" does that include
      KRON-
      > > DT, virtual channel 4.1 ?
      > >
      > > I ask because KRON-DT transmits on physical channel 57, one
      channel
      > > above KTVU-DT's physical channel 56. It could be a higher UHF
      > > frequency cliff-edge effect antenna scenario.
      > >
      > > You might also try a channel rescan. When stations work on
      their
      > > encoders some receivers need to be rescanned, and in some cases
      > > rebooted.
      > >
      > > Not enough info, speculating here...
      > >
      > > LopakaBob

    • crippe420
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
        Is there anyhting i can do to combat multipathing or the cliff edge
        effect? would some kind of amplifier do it or is the only option to
        get a new antenna (the one i have now can't really be pointed, it
        snaps on to the top of my satellite dish).

        thanks!
        dan

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...> wrote:

        > Multipath is a possibility. Not sure what you are using but
        > directional UHF-only antennas mounted outdoors and properly aimed
        > work best.
        >
        > It's worth noting that all DTV stations at Sutro will be off the
        air
        > from approximately 8am to 4pm on Tuesday, and probably on Wednesday
        > during daytime hours as well.
        >
        > Thought I would pass that on in case you are trying to point an
        > antenna during those days/hours.
        >
        > LopakaBob
        >

        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "crippe420" <crippe420@h...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > KRON 4.1 and 4.2 both come in great. tried rebooting and
        > rescanning,
        > > but no luck. the signal stregth seems to bee really jumpy, near
        > 100%
        > > one moment then drops to 0. does that sound typical of cliff edge
        > > effect? anything i can do to combat this (besides get a better
        > > antenna) i hope i can get this worked out before sunday.
        > >
        > > thanks for any help!
        > > dan (kicking myself for buying an overpriced POS antenna)
        > >
        > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...>
        wrote:

        > > > When you say "all the other Sutro stations" does that include
        > KRON-
        > > > DT, virtual channel 4.1 ?
        > > >
        > > > I ask because KRON-DT transmits on physical channel 57, one
        > channel
        > > > above KTVU-DT's physical channel 56. It could be a higher UHF
        > > > frequency cliff-edge effect antenna scenario.
        > > >
        > > > You might also try a channel rescan. When stations work on
        > their
        > > > encoders some receivers need to be rescanned, and in some cases
        > > > rebooted.
        > > >
        > > > Not enough info, speculating here...
        > > >
        > > > LopakaBob

      • scottc6666
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
          wrote:

          > is anyone else having trouble getting KTVU from their antenna
          > tonight? I live in oakland (by 580 and high st) and am getting all
          > the other sutro stations just fine, but i can't get fox.

          Not at all. 24 looked great in OTA HD down here in San Jose.
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
            crippe420 wrote:
            > Is there anyhting i can do to combat multipathing or the cliff edge
            > effect? would some kind of amplifier do it or is the only option to
            > get a new antenna (the one i have now can't really be pointed, it
            > snaps on to the top of my satellite dish).

            You need something with some directivity. The antenna you have is
            probably an omni-directional one, which is receiving signals from all
            directions. Instead of just getting the main signal from the
            transmitter, you're also getting all of the reflected signals too,
            degrading the overall signal. Since it's so hilly around here, an
            omni-directional antenna doesn't work well at all.

          • Bob
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
              Dan,

              Larry is right. The antenna you are using is far from the best. I
              don't recall that you said what your location was but considering
              what you are able to receive with an antenna like that odds are you
              can pull in everything from Sutro with a decent antenna.

              There are lots of them to choose from. I would guess that a Channel
              Master 4221 or 4228 would do the job for you with regard to KTVU-DT
              reception. Size is relatively small and price relatively low, about
              $35 to $50 depending on which one you buy.

              LopakaBob

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@L...>
              wrote:
              > crippe420 wrote:
              > > Is there anyhting i can do to combat multipathing or the cliff
              edge
              > > effect? would some kind of amplifier do it or is the only option
              > > get a new antenna (the one i have now can't really be pointed,
              it
              > > snaps on to the top of my satellite dish).
              >
              > You need something with some directivity. The antenna you have is
              > probably an omni-directional one, which is receiving signals from
              all
              > directions. Instead of just getting the main signal from the
              > transmitter, you're also getting all of the reflected signals too,
              > degrading the overall signal. Since it's so hilly around here, an
              > omni-directional antenna doesn't work well at all.
              >
              > Larry
              > SF
            • crippe420
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
                Thanks guys. looks like im gonna get an antenna from radio shack
                tomorrow. QUick question: I was oging to mount it to the roof right
                by my satellite dishes, but am wondering if they will cause any kind
                of interference for each other. SHould i mount it somewhere away from
                the dishes instead?

                thanks again!
                dan

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...> wrote:

                > Dan,
                >
                > Larry is right. The antenna you are using is far from the best. I
                > don't recall that you said what your location was but considering
                > what you are able to receive with an antenna like that odds are you
                > can pull in everything from Sutro with a decent antenna.
                >
                > There are lots of them to choose from. I would guess that a
                Channel
                > Master 4221 or 4228 would do the job for you with regard to KTVU-DT
                > reception. Size is relatively small and price relatively low,
                about
                > $35 to $50 depending on which one you buy.
                >
                > LopakaBob
                >

                > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@L...>
                > wrote:
                > > crippe420 wrote:
                > > > Is there anyhting i can do to combat multipathing or the cliff
                > edge
                > > > effect? would some kind of amplifier do it or is the only
                option
                > > > get a new antenna (the one i have now can't really be pointed,
                > it
                > > > snaps on to the top of my satellite dish).
                > >
                > > You need something with some directivity. The antenna you have
                is
                > > probably an omni-directional one, which is receiving signals from
                > all
                > > directions. Instead of just getting the main signal from the
                > > transmitter, you're also getting all of the reflected signals
                too,
                > > degrading the overall signal. Since it's so hilly around here,
                an
                > > omni-directional antenna doesn't work well at all.
                > >
                > > Larry
                > > SF
              • rc_and_e
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks guys. looks like im gonna get an antenna from radio shack
                  > tomorrow. QUick question: I was oging to mount it to the roof
                  right
                  > by my satellite dishes, but am wondering if they will cause any
                  kind
                  > of interference for each other. SHould i mount it somewhere away
                  from
                  > the dishes instead?
                  >
                  > thanks again!
                  > dan

                  It's okay for the antennas to be near each other as long each
                  antenna is not in any significant beam of the other antenna.
                  Basically (what common sense tells you anyway), your OTA antenna is
                  not blocking your satellite aperture, and the satellite dish is not
                  in the main beam of your directional OTA antenna.

                  Ri-Chee
                • Chris Rempel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
                    Is there anyhting i can do to combat multipathing or the cliff edge
                    effect? would some kind of amplifier do it or is the only option to
                    get a new antenna (the one i have now can't really be pointed, it
                    snaps on to the top of my satellite dish).

                    thanks!
                    dan

                    No wonder it's not working. Throw that piece of S*** away!