Re: KTVU-DT no signal tonight

  • crippe420
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2005
      KRON 4.1 and 4.2 both come in great. tried rebooting and rescanning,
      but no luck. the signal stregth seems to bee really jumpy, near 100%
      one moment then drops to 0. does that sound typical of cliff edge
      effect? anything i can do to combat this (besides get a better
      antenna) i hope i can get this worked out before sunday.

      thanks for any help!
      dan (kicking myself for buying an overpriced POS antenna)

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...> wrote:

      > When you say "all the other Sutro stations" does that include KRON-
      > DT, virtual channel 4.1 ?
      >
      > I ask because KRON-DT transmits on physical channel 57, one channel
      > above KTVU-DT's physical channel 56. It could be a higher UHF
      > frequency cliff-edge effect antenna scenario.
      >
      > You might also try a channel rescan. When stations work on their
      > encoders some receivers need to be rescanned, and in some cases
      > rebooted.
      >
      > Not enough info, speculating here...
      >
      > LopakaBob

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
        Multipath is a possibility. Not sure what you are using but
        directional UHF-only antennas mounted outdoors and properly aimed
        work best.

        It's worth noting that all DTV stations at Sutro will be off the air
        from approximately 8am to 4pm on Tuesday, and probably on Wednesday
        during daytime hours as well.

        Thought I would pass that on in case you are trying to point an
        antenna during those days/hours.

        LopakaBob

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "crippe420" <crippe420@h...>
        wrote:

        > KRON 4.1 and 4.2 both come in great. tried rebooting and
        rescanning,
        > but no luck. the signal stregth seems to bee really jumpy, near
        100%
        > one moment then drops to 0. does that sound typical of cliff edge
        > effect? anything i can do to combat this (besides get a better
        > antenna) i hope i can get this worked out before sunday.
        >
        > thanks for any help!
        > dan (kicking myself for buying an overpriced POS antenna)
        >
        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...> wrote:
        > >
        > > When you say "all the other Sutro stations" does that include
        KRON-
        > > DT, virtual channel 4.1 ?
        > >
        > > I ask because KRON-DT transmits on physical channel 57, one
        channel
        > > above KTVU-DT's physical channel 56. It could be a higher UHF
        > > frequency cliff-edge effect antenna scenario.
        > >
        > > You might also try a channel rescan. When stations work on
        their
        > > encoders some receivers need to be rescanned, and in some cases
        > > rebooted.
        > >
        > > Not enough info, speculating here...
        > >
        > > LopakaBob

      • crippe420
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
          Is there anyhting i can do to combat multipathing or the cliff edge
          effect? would some kind of amplifier do it or is the only option to
          get a new antenna (the one i have now can't really be pointed, it
          snaps on to the top of my satellite dish).

          thanks!
          dan

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...> wrote:

          > Multipath is a possibility. Not sure what you are using but
          > directional UHF-only antennas mounted outdoors and properly aimed
          > work best.
          >
          > It's worth noting that all DTV stations at Sutro will be off the
          air
          > from approximately 8am to 4pm on Tuesday, and probably on Wednesday
          > during daytime hours as well.
          >
          > Thought I would pass that on in case you are trying to point an
          > antenna during those days/hours.
          >
          > LopakaBob
          >

          > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "crippe420" <crippe420@h...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > KRON 4.1 and 4.2 both come in great. tried rebooting and
          > rescanning,
          > > but no luck. the signal stregth seems to bee really jumpy, near
          > 100%
          > > one moment then drops to 0. does that sound typical of cliff edge
          > > effect? anything i can do to combat this (besides get a better
          > > antenna) i hope i can get this worked out before sunday.
          > >
          > > thanks for any help!
          > > dan (kicking myself for buying an overpriced POS antenna)
          > >
          > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...>
          wrote:

          > > > When you say "all the other Sutro stations" does that include
          > KRON-
          > > > DT, virtual channel 4.1 ?
          > > >
          > > > I ask because KRON-DT transmits on physical channel 57, one
          > channel
          > > > above KTVU-DT's physical channel 56. It could be a higher UHF
          > > > frequency cliff-edge effect antenna scenario.
          > > >
          > > > You might also try a channel rescan. When stations work on
          > their
          > > > encoders some receivers need to be rescanned, and in some cases
          > > > rebooted.
          > > >
          > > > Not enough info, speculating here...
          > > >
          > > > LopakaBob

        • scottc6666
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
            wrote:

            > is anyone else having trouble getting KTVU from their antenna
            > tonight? I live in oakland (by 580 and high st) and am getting all
            > the other sutro stations just fine, but i can't get fox.

            Not at all. 24 looked great in OTA HD down here in San Jose.
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
              crippe420 wrote:
              > Is there anyhting i can do to combat multipathing or the cliff edge
              > effect? would some kind of amplifier do it or is the only option to
              > get a new antenna (the one i have now can't really be pointed, it
              > snaps on to the top of my satellite dish).

              You need something with some directivity. The antenna you have is
              probably an omni-directional one, which is receiving signals from all
              directions. Instead of just getting the main signal from the
              transmitter, you're also getting all of the reflected signals too,
              degrading the overall signal. Since it's so hilly around here, an
              omni-directional antenna doesn't work well at all.

            • Bob
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
                Dan,

                Larry is right. The antenna you are using is far from the best. I
                don't recall that you said what your location was but considering
                what you are able to receive with an antenna like that odds are you
                can pull in everything from Sutro with a decent antenna.

                There are lots of them to choose from. I would guess that a Channel
                Master 4221 or 4228 would do the job for you with regard to KTVU-DT
                reception. Size is relatively small and price relatively low, about
                $35 to $50 depending on which one you buy.

                LopakaBob

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@L...>
                wrote:
                > crippe420 wrote:
                > > Is there anyhting i can do to combat multipathing or the cliff
                edge
                > > effect? would some kind of amplifier do it or is the only option
                > > get a new antenna (the one i have now can't really be pointed,
                it
                > > snaps on to the top of my satellite dish).
                >
                > You need something with some directivity. The antenna you have is
                > probably an omni-directional one, which is receiving signals from
                all
                > directions. Instead of just getting the main signal from the
                > transmitter, you're also getting all of the reflected signals too,
                > degrading the overall signal. Since it's so hilly around here, an
                > omni-directional antenna doesn't work well at all.
                >
                > Larry
                > SF
              • crippe420
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Thanks guys. looks like im gonna get an antenna from radio shack
                  tomorrow. QUick question: I was oging to mount it to the roof right
                  by my satellite dishes, but am wondering if they will cause any kind
                  of interference for each other. SHould i mount it somewhere away from
                  the dishes instead?

                  thanks again!
                  dan

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@a...> wrote:

                  > Dan,
                  >
                  > Larry is right. The antenna you are using is far from the best. I
                  > don't recall that you said what your location was but considering
                  > what you are able to receive with an antenna like that odds are you
                  > can pull in everything from Sutro with a decent antenna.
                  >
                  > There are lots of them to choose from. I would guess that a
                  Channel
                  > Master 4221 or 4228 would do the job for you with regard to KTVU-DT
                  > reception. Size is relatively small and price relatively low,
                  about
                  > $35 to $50 depending on which one you buy.
                  >
                  > LopakaBob
                  >

                  > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@L...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > crippe420 wrote:
                  > > > Is there anyhting i can do to combat multipathing or the cliff
                  > edge
                  > > > effect? would some kind of amplifier do it or is the only
                  option
                  > > > get a new antenna (the one i have now can't really be pointed,
                  > it
                  > > > snaps on to the top of my satellite dish).
                  > >
                  > > You need something with some directivity. The antenna you have
                  is
                  > > probably an omni-directional one, which is receiving signals from
                  > all
                  > > directions. Instead of just getting the main signal from the
                  > > transmitter, you're also getting all of the reflected signals
                  too,
                  > > degrading the overall signal. Since it's so hilly around here,
                  an
                  > > omni-directional antenna doesn't work well at all.
                  > >
                  > > Larry
                  > > SF
                • rc_and_e
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
                    wrote:

                    > Thanks guys. looks like im gonna get an antenna from radio shack
                    > tomorrow. QUick question: I was oging to mount it to the roof
                    right
                    > by my satellite dishes, but am wondering if they will cause any
                    kind
                    > of interference for each other. SHould i mount it somewhere away
                    from
                    > the dishes instead?
                    >
                    > thanks again!
                    > dan

                    It's okay for the antennas to be near each other as long each
                    antenna is not in any significant beam of the other antenna.
                    Basically (what common sense tells you anyway), your OTA antenna is
                    not blocking your satellite aperture, and the satellite dish is not
                    in the main beam of your directional OTA antenna.

                    Ri-Chee
                  • Chris Rempel
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
                      Is there anyhting i can do to combat multipathing or the cliff edge
                      effect? would some kind of amplifier do it or is the only option to
                      get a new antenna (the one i have now can't really be pointed, it
                      snaps on to the top of my satellite dish).

                      thanks!
                      dan

                      No wonder it's not working. Throw that piece of S*** away!