Leave my Comcast DVR box on?

  • mikencnet
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2004
      So should I leave my new Comcast DVR box on at all times? I just got
      it installed and wonder if I can power off all my equipment like I
      did with my old Comcast box.

      Will scheduled programs still be recorded when off? I know buffered
      programs won't record but will it power itself on when a scheduled
      program is ready to record?
    • Tim Maestas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
        The box will turn itself on to record scheduled
        programs, however there is a bug that results in the
        box muting itself when it does so. You would have to
        have the correct code programmed into whatever remote
        you're using to then unmute the box. I just leave
        mine on all the time. Do a quick search at AVSforums
        for more details.
        -Tim

        --- mikencnet <mikencnet@...> wrote:

        > So should I leave my new Comcast DVR box on at all
        > times? I just got
        > it installed and wonder if I can power off all my
        > equipment like I
        > did with my old Comcast box.
        >
        > Will scheduled programs still be recorded when off?
        > I know buffered
        > programs won't record but will it power itself on
        > when a scheduled
        > program is ready to record?

        > --------------------~-->
        > Toolbar.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/bDIolB/TM

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Jeff Rodrigues
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
          Comcast and Motorola recommend that you leave the box
          on at all times. Even when "powered off", the hard
          drive is still working, so there really isn't a reason
          to turn it off. I've had my 6412 PVR for well over a
          month now with no problems, and a 6208 before that for
          a year without any problems.

          --- mikencnet <mikencnet@...> wrote:

          > So should I leave my new Comcast DVR box on at all
          > times? I just got
          > it installed and wonder if I can power off all my
          > equipment like I
          > did with my old Comcast box.
          >
          > Will scheduled programs still be recorded when off?
          > I know buffered
          > programs won't record but will it power itself on
          > when a scheduled
          > program is ready to record?

          http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
        • E Frank Ball
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
            On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 10:26:53AM -0800, Jeff Rodrigues wrote:
            }
            } Comcast and Motorola recommend that you leave the box
            } on at all times. Even when "powered off", the hard
            } drive is still working, so there really isn't a reason
            } to turn it off. I've had my 6412 PVR for well over a
            } month now with no problems, and a 6208 before that for
            } a year without any problems.

            Even if you turn the box off, the tuner, drive, and video
            outputs are all still active anyway. It won't save any
            power other than turning off the front panel LEDs.

            --

            E Frank Ball frankb@...