Re: HD commercials >Re: independent KICU DT 52 (action 36) to air HD movie

  • c m
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      Excluding non-special events like the superbowl,
      I saw my first HD commercial on the WB network about a week ago during
      gilmore girls; It was your basic target commercial. I recorded it and
      made sure my eyes didn't deceive me afterwards.

      The locals probably won't really have much to do with HD commercials as
      the pipes/delivery systems are just not there for them to show HD spots
      for local advertisers, if an advertiser can find a production house
      doing HD to begin with. Locals only get a portion of one of the breaks
      every 30 minutes anyway. You would think the main companies producing
      movie trailer commercials would send out HD spots on the national
      feed...

      Next I'm waiting for the hidden voices whispering 'eat mcdonalds' in
      the surround channels ;)

      Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:59:34 -0800
      From: Larry Kenney <Larry@...>
      Subject: Re: independent KICU DT 52 (action 36) to air HD movie

      Chuck Smith wrote:

      > FWIW,
      >
      > On my Sony HD200, the film Ice Age was HD, but not widescreen. When
      > the movie started, an overlay came up stating FOX widescreen, but no
      > joy.

      That wasn't HD. It was plain ol' SD. That overlay was on the NTSC
      video on analog 36 too.

      I was looking forward to seeing HD on channel 36, but it didn't happen.

      The SD looked good, but HD is never 4:3... it's ALWAYS 16:9
      widescreen.

      Sometimes the commercials on KGO and KPIX look like they're in HD the
      quality is so good, but no, it's just SD there, too. Hopefully when
      KGO
      gets their new Master Control room on line after the first of the year
      we'll actually see some HD commercials. Is anyone producing them on a
      regular basis? The only ones I've seen are during special programs on
      the networks.

      _______________

      =====
      "cHANCE fAVORS tHE pREPARED mIND", Louis Pasteur
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
        c m wrote:

        > The locals probably won't really have much to do with HD commercials as
        > the pipes/delivery systems are just not there for them to show HD spots
        > for local advertisers, if an advertiser can find a production house
        > doing HD to begin with.

        KGO has built a new control room that has three separate automated
        switching channels: channel 7 analog, channel 7.1 digital, and channel
        7.2 digital. The switcher and associated software and server for
        channel 7.1 is be able to handle 720p HD, so any program, movie, or
        commercial they get in the HD format, will be able to be shown in HD.

        The big question is... will they be getting any of their syndicated
        programs, movies and commercials in HD? Will they spend the money to
        buy movies in HD? Time will tell!

        As I'm sure most of you are aware, channel 7.1 is being transmitted in
        HD all the time, as are channels 2.1, 4.2, 5.1, 11.1, and 20.1... maybe
        some others. If the source material (program or commercial) is not HD,
        it passes through as SD with gray bars, but the signal is still HD.

        The KGO control room and automation system is now ready to go on the
        air. However, they are also installing a new sales and logging computer
        system that will be tied into the new automation for the three channels.
        They want to test the two systems together before they put it all on
        the air, so the new control room will not see air until both systems are
        working together. They expect this to happen sometime after the first
        of the year. How soon will be determined by how long it takes to debug
        the operation of the two systems.