Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Where to get DirecTV "C Kits" in peninsula?

  • Don Cone
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1 5:16 AM
      Hi Joe,

      Call DT at this number: 1-888-355-7530 and tell them you want one. I got
      shuffled around a lot, but finally got to someone who could do it as of
      yesterday. There are multiple options - I took the low end. You could have
      it installed too, but not worth the hassle for me.

      Don
    • siliken
      Message 2 of 22 , May 9 10:01 PM
        This thread had a suprisingly short life:

        Most of the stores have a $49 retail on the box. Mine was a
        ChannelMaster part. DirecTV will sell you one 3 ways:

        Commit to their TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER for $81.99/month [plus local
        channels and extra receiver if applicable] and they'll send it to you
        free and pay for installation.

        Commit to their TOTAL CHOICE® PLUS package for a year and they'll
        sell it to you for $49 plus shipping and install it free.

        If you want to install it yourself, they will send you the kit for no
        charge and you only pay the shipping which is less than $10.

        I ordered it on Saturday night; received it FedEx on Wednesday (at
        work since someone had to sign for the package); and had it installed
        this afternoon [Thursday].

        The installer had never seen the kit...not sure if he even new what
        HD was...so I went on the roof with him and directed the installation
        per the instructions. [At least I didn't have to rent a 28-foot
        extension ladder, much less find a way to get it home from the rental
        company, so the $50 was still a bargain] Went smoothly. We used a
        coat hanger to fish the cable and installation was a snap.

        Had to change the installation options on my receiver for the triple
        feed, verified the signal, and was finished door-to-door in less than
        an hour.

      • Michael-Reilly@att.net
        Message 3 of 22 , May 10 11:07 AM
          A couple of questions for those of you who have
          installed the sat C kit before I buy one.

          I have a dual LNB (each LNB is a dual) dish with a 4x4
          multi-switch mounted on the back of the dish (a SONY
          dish if it matters).

          1. Will the 3rd LNB in the sat C kit mount on this
          dish? I do not recall if there was a place to mount the
          3rd LNB.

          2. How is the sat C kit wired in? Does it require a
          6 x something multi-switch? If so, is the new multi-
          switch part of the kit?

          Thanks,

          michael

          --
          ---- ---- ----
          Michael Reilly
          Message 4 of 22 , May 10 11:38 AM
            FWIW, when I upgraded to a multi-sat dish, DirectTV had an "unannounced"
            special.

            I called in to complain about the high definition receivers that were offered
            for ~$100 cheaper for *new* customers, and I complained that there should be
            such a discount available to loyal customers as well. While they did not help
            out with the receiver, they did offer me a dish upgrade to a multi-sat dish
            (including the Sat C kit) for $24.95 + s/h including free installation.

            Since the elliptical dishes were being sold for ~$150.00 and did not include
            installation, I opted for the DirectTV *special*.

            I don't know if this will help those who already have the multi-sat dishes,
            but it might be worth a call to DirectTV, to see if they supply you with the
            upgrade installation for a *special* price.

            -- Steve Downie
          • Don Cone
            Message 5 of 22 , May 10 12:27 PM
              on 5/10/02 11:07 AM, Michael-Reilly@... at Michael-Reilly@... wrote:

              > I have a dual LNB (each LNB is a dual) dish with a 4x4
              > multi-switch mounted on the back of the dish (a SONY
              > dish if it matters).
              >
              > 1. Will the 3rd LNB in the sat C kit mount on this
              > dish? I do not recall if there was a place to mount the
              > 3rd LNB.

              Yes - should be no problem.

              > 2. How is the sat C kit wired in? Does it require a
              > 6 x something multi-switch? If so, is the new multi-
              > switch part of the kit?

              The kit contains a combiner and two cables to connect it to your existing
              4X4 multi-switch.

              I'm not sure why more folks are not just going for the under $9 option form
              DTV. The kit can be installed in 15 minutes max and since you have to
              subscribe anyway, a one year commitment is no big deal. I ordered mine on
              day 2 and received it two days later.

              Don Cone
            • Michael-Reilly@att.net
              Message 6 of 22 , May 10 6:20 PM
                Don,

                > The kit contains a combiner and two cables to connect
                it to your existing
                > 4X4 multi-switch.
                >
                > I'm not sure why more folks are not just going for the
                under $9 option form
                > DTV. The kit can be installed in 15 minutes max and
                since you have to
                > subscribe anyway, a one year commitment is no big
                deal. I ordered mine on
                > day 2 and received it two days later.
                >
                > Don Cone

                Thank you for the information. I am planning on taking
                DirecTV up on the $9.00 offer.

                michael
                --
                ---- ---- ----
                Michael Reilly
                Message 7 of 22 , May 12 10:07 AM
                  I did as you suggested and got the sat "C" kit
                  installed for $9 (postage fee) by DTV. And yes,
                  it only took them 3 days to send a tech out to
                  do the installation (which took about 30 mins).

                  -Joe

                  --- Don Cone <vdcone@...> wrote:
                  > on 5/10/02 11:07 AM, Michael-Reilly@... at
                  > Michael-Reilly@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > I have a dual LNB (each LNB is a dual) dish with a
                  > 4x4
                  > > multi-switch mounted on the back of the dish (a
                  > SONY
                  > > dish if it matters).
                  > >
                  > > 1. Will the 3rd LNB in the sat C kit mount on
                  > this
                  > > dish? I do not recall if there was a place to
                  > mount the
                  > > 3rd LNB.
                  >
                  > Yes - should be no problem.
                  >

                  > > 2. How is the sat C kit wired in? Does it
                  > require a
                  > > 6 x something multi-switch? If so, is the new
                  > multi-
                  > > switch part of the kit?
                  >
                  > The kit contains a combiner and two cables to
                  > connect it to your existing
                  > 4X4 multi-switch.
                  >
                  > I'm not sure why more folks are not just going for
                  > the under $9 option form
                  > DTV. The kit can be installed in 15 minutes max and
                  > since you have to
                  > subscribe anyway, a one year commitment is no big
                  > deal. I ordered mine on
                  > day 2 and received it two days later.
                  >
                  > Don Cone

                  =====

                  LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                  http://launch.yahoo.com
                • JohnnieWaiSF
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 15 12:07 PM
                    This is how the Sat C connection works. Click on link below:
                    http://www.directv.com/imagine/pdf/MultiSatC.pdf
                    This guide is directly from DirectTV. It shows a LNB, a Signal
                    Combiner, and 2 wires. That's how it is hooked up. Now, I have an
                    extra Dual LNB from when I upgraded from a round dish to the oval
                    dish. Does anyone know what type of signal combiner I need? Is it
                    simply a 75 ohm signal combiner or does it have to be a diplexer with
                    a signal range 5mhz-2150mhz?

                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Michael-Reilly@a... wrote:
                    > A couple of questions for those of you who have
                    > installed the sat C kit before I buy one.
                    >
                    > I have a dual LNB (each LNB is a dual) dish with a 4x4
                    > multi-switch mounted on the back of the dish (a SONY
                    > dish if it matters).
                    >
                    > 1. Will the 3rd LNB in the sat C kit mount on this
                    > dish? I do not recall if there was a place to mount the
                    > 3rd LNB.
                    >
                    > 2. How is the sat C kit wired in? Does it require a
                    > 6 x something multi-switch? If so, is the new multi-
                    > switch part of the kit?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > michael
                    >
                    > --
                    > ---- ---- ----
                    > Michael Reilly
                    > Michael-Reilly@w...
                  • JohnnieWaiSF
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 15 12:10 PM
                      Here is an online store that sells it for under $30.00 plus shipping
                      ($5) and tax. They are currently out of stock but will be getting
                      more beginning of next month.

                    • Aleksandr Milewski
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 15 1:26 PM
                        At 19:07 15.05.02 +0000, you wrote:

                        >Now, I have an
                        >extra Dual LNB from when I upgraded from a round dish to the oval
                        >dish. Does anyone know what type of signal combiner I need? Is it
                        >simply a 75 ohm signal combiner or does it have to be a diplexer with
                        >a signal range 5mhz-2150mhz?

                        I suspect that a good combiner (not diplexer) that covers 900-1500MHz is
                        all that's required. But that won't work with your old LNB.

                        What the diagram doesn't show is that the SatC kit is a bit of a hack.
                        Since D* only has a few transponders at the 110 orbital position, they use
                        a special LNB for SatC that has a different IF. The result is that the SatC
                        transponders show up on the "wrong" frequency, looking like additional
                        transponders on SatB.

                        -Z
                      • ddruker
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 15 10:28 PM
                          I bought my Sat C kit on e-Bay for about $25. It took about 2 minutes
                          to install. Here's a link...
                          http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPIC
                          ommand=GetResult&query=sat+c&ht=1&itemtimedisp=1&s
                          t=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=
                        • dcstager
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 17 6:31 PM
                            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "JohnnieWaiSF" <johnniewaisf@y...> wrote:
                            > This is how the Sat C connection works. Click on link below:
                            > http://www.directv.com/imagine/pdf/MultiSatC.pdf
                            > This guide is directly from DirectTV. It shows a LNB, a Signal
                            > Combiner, and 2 wires. That's how it is hooked up. Now, I have an
                            > extra Dual LNB from when I upgraded from a round dish to the oval
                            > dish. Does anyone know what type of signal combiner I need? Is it
                            > simply a 75 ohm signal combiner or does it have to be a diplexer
                            with
                            > a signal range 5mhz-2150mhz?

                            The "combiner" is actually a low-pass filter of some kind.

                            Check the gif in the file section.