Re: NBC 11 invitation

  • thekatdude
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
      KNTV reminds me of a small town operation instead of a big city
      station.

      Kim

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "cHANCE" <ct_spam@g...> wrote:
      > after thoroughly botching the hd olympic experience for all of us,
      > nbc11 decided tonight to start the new season off with destroying
      > their first hd broadcast of father of the pride. first we start
      off by
      [[Snipped]]

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
        I read over on the AVS forum that this was not just a KNTV issue. It
        seems the entire west coast saw the same thing including Sacramento
        and Seattle.

        Bobby C

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "cHANCE" <ct_spam@g...> wrote:
        > after thoroughly botching the hd olympic experience for all of us,
        > nbc11 decided tonight to start the new season off with destroying
        > their first hd broadcast of father of the pride. first we start off
        by
        > not flipping the hd switch at the beginning, cutting out to a blank
        > screen for 10 seconds in the middle of the commercialess broadcast,
        > more dropouts, and then completely dropping to sd after that.
        >
        > one would think that a hd broadcast must be difficult to get
        right....

        > then we see kpix cbs 5 originating and producing their OWN LOCAL HD
        > BROADCAST of an entire footbal pre-season game!
        >
        > hmmmmm.....
        >
        > so i would like to invite all the folks at nbc 11 over to my place -
        > this includes the monkeys that must be running the control center -
        > watch a recorded version of cbs 5's evening magazine show in which
        > they go behind the scenes during the hd broadcast and show just how
        > 'difficult' it is. maybe you can learn something. my fav quote
        during
        > the show is when one of the producers in the trailer asks his techs
        > 'check the HD broadcast and make sure it is going out ok'; and i
        think
        > to myself, what a novel idea to make sure that everything works and
        > doesn't look like a pixel blender.
        >
        > other highlights:
        > - witness a station using mpeg encoder equipment fit for broadcast
        > - watch a channel that doesn't multicast the exact same channel to
        no
        > one's benefit except to futher degrade the picture quality
        > - see how a broadcast doesn't use second rate talent on the hd
        version
        > - integration of all on screen graphics into both the sd & hd
        versions
        > - actually see a live broadcast, live
        >
        > we can only hope UPN wins future bids on olympic contracts as sadly,
        > it would mean a tremendously improved product in the bay area.
        > please rsvp at your convenience
        > ;p
      • Swank, Richard (NBC Universal, KNTV)
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
          NBC network problem that we have no control over.  There was a problem at the satellite uplink facility.
          I read over on the AVS forum that this was not just a KNTV issue.  It
          seems the entire west coast saw the same thing including Sacramento
          and Seattle.

          Bobby C

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "cHANCE" <ct_spam@g...> wrote:
          > after thoroughly botching the hd olympic experience for all of us,
          > nbc11 decided tonight to start the new season off with destroying
          > their first hd broadcast of father of the pride. first we start off
          by
          > not flipping the hd switch at the beginning, cutting out to a blank
          > screen for 10 seconds in the middle of the commercialess broadcast,
          > more dropouts, and then completely dropping to sd after that.
          >
          > one would think that a hd broadcast must be difficult to get
          right....

          > then we see kpix cbs 5 originating and producing their OWN LOCAL HD
          > BROADCAST of an entire footbal pre-season game!
          >
          > hmmmmm.....
          >
          > so i would like to invite all the folks at nbc 11 over to my place -
          > this includes the monkeys that must be running the control center -
          > watch a recorded version of cbs 5's evening magazine show in which
          > they go behind the scenes during the hd broadcast and show just how
          > 'difficult' it is. maybe you can learn something. my fav quote
          during
          > the show is when one of the producers in the trailer asks his techs
          > 'check the HD broadcast and make sure it is going out ok'; and i
          think
          > to myself, what a novel idea to make sure that everything works and
          > doesn't look like a pixel blender.
          >
          > other highlights:
          > - witness a station using mpeg encoder equipment fit for broadcast
          > - watch a channel that doesn't multicast the exact same channel to
          no
          > one's benefit except to futher degrade the picture quality
          > - see how a broadcast doesn't use second rate talent on the hd
          version
          > - integration of all on screen graphics into both the sd & hd
          versions
          > - actually see a live broadcast, live
          >
          > we can only hope UPN wins future bids on olympic contracts as sadly,
          > it would mean a tremendously improved product in the bay area.
          > please rsvp at your convenience
          > ;p

        • Leo G. Divinagracia III
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
            now now...

            KNTV is not all the sources of the problems here.

            when AVSforum reports issues for the entire country, you know NBC, is
            the blame.

            just like ABC did when they decided to do a super bowl with a completely
            diff production team. and messing that one up too...

            i dont know if any of you caught the ESPN2 (the "dos"... ;)) "behind
            the scenes" show during the USC vs VT game last weekend? (as an ex
            tv-prod geek, this was wonderful to see.)

            in one scene, they showed the monitor showing the SAFE AREAS for both
            the 16x9 and the 4x3. and while they emphasized all the action on the
            field had to be contained within the 4x3 safe area, they did talk about
            HD productions alot.

            so what i'm saying is maybe people should the NBC a note instead of
            hammering the local affliates.

            --
            Leo G. Divinagracia III
            ldivinag@...

            zzzzz
          • Michael-Reilly@att.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
              I am insulted :-)

              I used to work at a small town station a L O N G time ago. We were never even close to being as bad as NBC and KNTV are.

              michael
              --
              Michael Reilly