Need help setting up my cablebox.

  • quychock27
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
      Hi all,

      I just subscribed to comcast cable. I getting hd channels, but I not
      sure if I am getting true hd pictures. Currently I have a sony 36
      inch tv. I have my cablebox set up at 480p so I can fit the whole
      image without getting those annoying back bars on top and the bottom.
      Reading from other websites, they say true hd is in 720p or 1080i.
      So, if I set up my cable box at 480p, am I getting true hd pictures?
    • Bill Taroli
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
        If I remember correctly, the setting you're referring to (in the
        settings for the STB itself) is selecting what resolution 480i programs
        will be displayed in. 720p and 1080i programs are always pumped out in
        native resolution -- at least to the DVI or component video outputs. So,
        the only thing that this setting can do is cause up-sampling of 480i
        programs. You'll have to play with it to decide what combination of STB
        and monitor settings works best together. In my case, with a Mistu 55"
        RPTV, I left the STB set to 480 for 480 programs. I didn't like the
        greybar that it introduced, and decided the apparently picture quality
        wasn't that much better.

        Bill

        quychock27 wrote:

        >I just subscribed to comcast cable. I getting hd channels, but I not
        >sure if I am getting true hd pictures. Currently I have a sony 36
        >inch tv. I have my cablebox set up at 480p so I can fit the whole
        >image without getting those annoying back bars on top and the bottom.
        >Reading from other websites, they say true hd is in 720p or 1080i.
        >So, if I set up my cable box at 480p, am I getting true hd pictures?

      • Philip Ross

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "quychock27" <quychock@h...>
            wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I just subscribed to comcast cable. I getting hd channels, but
            > I not sure if I am getting true hd pictures. Currently I have
            > a sony 36 inch tv. I have my cablebox set up at 480p so I can
            > fit the whole image without getting those annoying back bars on
            > top and the bottom. Reading from other websites, they say true
            > hd is in 720p or 1080i. So, if I set up my cable box at 480p,
            > am I getting true hd pictures?

            I have a Sony 36XBR400. It has 2 HD component video inputs that will
            accept 480i/480p/1080i. I assume you have a similar TV. The problem
            is that any time it receives a 1080i signal it forces the vertical
            compression on so that it can display the widescreen image. No zoom
            modes or other picture modification are available. When broadcasters
            transmit an upconverted SD program, they encode black pillar boxes on
            the left and right. So, on this 4:3 TV you end up with a much
            smaller image with a black matte on all 4 sides. The image is very
            clear, but much smaller than the displayable area.

            Here's my setup and my solution. I have a HD reciever (MyHD
            recorder) that I usually leave in 1080i output. I pretty much only
            use it for HD. I have a DirecTivo that I use for all my SD viewing
            which is on a separate input on the TV. That way all the SD on the
            Tivo is always full screen and the HD is always widescreen.

            I don't have a HD cable box, so I'm not completely sure about this,
            but here's my suggestion:

            * Connect the Component output from the cable box to the TV and
            configure the box to always output 1080i.
            * Connect the S-Video output from the cable box to a different input
            on the TV

            This assumes that the S-Video ouptut is always active - which I
            believe is the case with all the Motorola boxes used in the Bay Area.

            When you watch a HD program, use the HD input on the TV. When you
            watch a SD program, use the S-Video input on the TV. That way it
            will always be displayed properly. A hassle, I know, but I think
            this is the optimal setup.

            The alternative is to change the output on the HD STB to 480p and use
            its zoom modes to crop off the pillar boxes put in by the
            broadcaster. I can do this on my remote with a couple keystrokes,
            but many boxes like Samsung and other OTA recievers have a switch on
            the back which really makes this a pain.

            - Mike