Re: Sutro Tower Work

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2002
      Stephen Couch wrote:
      > Thanks for the heads up, Larry. Do you know what is
      > being repaired or upgraded?

      I think it's just maintenance on the tower itself,
      plus changing the navigation light bulbs.

      Today, they were done doing their work by 11:10 am.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2002
        Mark in Morgan Hill wrote:
        > Thanks for the notice, Larry!
        > Would that also explain why my Dish6000
        > suddenly re-mapped KGO's PSIP last night
        > from digital channel 7 back to 24?

        No, the tower work has nothing to do specifically
        with KGO or any of the other stations. It's work
        on the actual tower and the navigation lights.

        The reason KGO was re-mapped is because the PSIP
        generator quit working on Saturday. From what I
        heard it started generating error messages, so
        they turned it off.

        Until the unit is repaired, you'll find KGO on
        channels 24.1 and 24.2, where they actually trans-
        mit, rather than the virtual channels of 7.1 and
        7.2.

        Everything except the PSIP generator is working
        fine, including the new closed caption software
        that was recently added. SAP will be next, I
        heard.

        Larry
      • R8der
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2002
          Larry Kenney wrote:
           Stephen Couch wrote:
          > Thanks for the heads up, Larry. Do you know what is
          > being repaired or upgraded?

          I think it's just maintenance on the tower itself,
          plus changing the navigation light bulbs.

          Today, they were done doing their work by 11:10 am.

          I was talking with an engineer at KTVU.  He said the Sutro work is actually going to extend into early next week.  The work being performed is by KPIX, and they are replacing a part that is within their transmission line.  I forget the exact name, but it's like a spring-hinged bushing that helps the line contract and expand due to temperature differences.  This part lasts about 20 years and then breaks apart.  KPIX has reached their useful life on these parts.  This bushing connects the transmission line every 20 feet or so.  I'm typing from memory so I don't remember all the details exactly.

          KTVU said they replaced these bushings in their transmission line about 7 years ago.  They said that these bushings used to wear out more quickly in the past when stations would go off the air in the middle of the night....creating larger termperature differences in the line than they see now since the stations are on the air 24 hours a day these days.

          R8der

        • Chris Rempel
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2003
            Larry Kenney wrote:

            > I talked with Gene Zastrow, general manager of Sutro Tower, this evening
            > regarding the on-going seismic upgrade of the tower. I asked him if he
            > had any idea how long the digital transmitters would have to be turned
            > off for this work. He said that it will probably take about two more
            > months to complete the upgrade work around the digital antennas. A lot
            > will depend on the weather conditions during the period, but if the
            > workers are able to keep going at their present pace, they should be
            > down to Level 4 by the first of the new year. They are working 6 days a
            > week, 10 hours a day so that the project can be completed as fast as
            > possible. They don't expect to complete the entire project until the
            > end of 2004.
            >
            > He says that everyone realizes the inconvenience involved, but there's
            > no way to work up there with the digital transmitters on the air, and
            > the seismic work has to be done.
            >
            > I told him about the problem antenna installers are facing having no
            > signal to work with during the day, except on Sunday. He says he can
            > understand where that could be a major problem, but he sees no way to
            > change anything at this point.
            >
            > Larry
            >
            > --

            Thank Larry for talking with Gene and getting us the whole story. Winter is
            usually not a great time for installations anyway. It also looks like we
            will have a wet winter, so I would encourage people to wait until spring to
            do any HDTV installations. Meanwhile I will work on emergency repairs and
            other projects.

            Chris aka the antenna doctor

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 17, 2004
              Received from Red Dana at KQED:

              I've had a couple emails asking if the Sutro Tower work is completed,
              since the digital signals remained on yesterday and today. The short
              answer from Sutro Management: nope, it isn't.

              The crew is still hard at work, but they didn't need to be near the
              antennas for the last couple days. So those of you receiving our signals
              OTA will still see them disappear frequently during Mon-Sat daylight
              hours until sometime mid-June/early July, Mother Nature permitting.

              Those of you receiving our signals via Comcast Cable are not affected by
              this work.

              For those of you who are new to this list, a longer explanation of the
              work follows...

              Sutro Tower is getting a seismic upgrade. Every bolt in the tower is
              being replaced with a larger bolt, one bolt at a time, plus some of the
              support plates are being changed along with other support work. Sutro
              Management's best estimate as to when enough work will have been
              completed to allow all the digital antennas to remain on the air during
              the day is mid-June/early-July. The entire project is not scheduled to
              be completed until the end of 2004.

              Right now the crew is working in the area where the digital antennas are
              located. The transmitters cannot be on the air while they're working
              there, so from about 7am to 5:30pm Monday through Saturday all of the
              digital transmitters are turned off. If rain or bad weather prohibits
              the crew from working, the stations are notified and the transmitters
              are turned back on.

              When the crew is far enough away so they are not cooked by the RF, the
              transmitters will no longer have to be turned off. This is currently
              estimated to be around July 1, 2004.

              You might note that one digital station out of all of them on Sutro
              might be on the air on occasion. They have determined that having one
              transmitter on the air is okay. For example, on Saturdays the station
              carrying an HD version of some sporting event is often on the air.
              During the week, KPIX is often on M-F 11a-noon for their HD broadcast of
              "The Young and the Restless."

              Red Dana
              Manager, KQED TV9 & DT9 Viewer Services