Antenna for KNTV in San Francisco

  • droland
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
      I'm wondering if anyone has advice on antenna setup for receiving the
      San Jose KNTV signal in San Francisco.

      I've tried a couple setups so far.

      - An indoor radioshack vhf antenna
      - A Winegard YA-6713 50 inch CH 7 to 13 (on the same mast as my UHF-
      only Winegard antenna. On a antenna rotator as I have trouble
      getting all channels in one direction)

      With the roof setup, the only signal I've seen on channel 12 is a
      very short burst as I rotate the antenna around (never long enough to
      display a picture; just a blip on my receiver signal strenght read
      out.)

      Any ideas? Given my lack of success with the 50" antenna, is there
      any reason to believe that a larger antenna would help? One cut
      specifically to channel 12?

      David
    • Donald Wong
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
        I use this Radio Shack antenna:

        http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F004%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1862

        for both VHF and UHF reception and can get KNTV pretty
        well. I've tried the double bow-tie, but it didn't
        give as good results across the board as this antenna.

        don

        --- droland <droland@...> wrote:

        > I'm wondering if anyone has advice on antenna setup
        > for receiving the
        > San Jose KNTV signal in San Francisco.
        >
        > I've tried a couple setups so far.
        >
        > - An indoor radioshack vhf antenna
        > - A Winegard YA-6713 50 inch CH 7 to 13 (on the
        > same mast as my UHF-
        > only Winegard antenna. On a antenna rotator as I
        > have trouble
        > getting all channels in one direction)
        >
        > With the roof setup, the only signal I've seen on
        > channel 12 is a
        > very short burst as I rotate the antenna around
        > (never long enough to
        > display a picture; just a blip on my receiver signal
        > strenght read
        > out.)
        >
        > Any ideas? Given my lack of success with the 50"
        > antenna, is there
        > any reason to believe that a larger antenna would
        > help? One cut
        > specifically to channel 12?
        >
        > David

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
      • Stephen Couch
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
          I have yet to see the CBS HD Promo on KPIX. I know
          they are inserting local commercials, so I guess they
          are not passing through the HD promo. I watched
          American Fighter Pilot last Friday night and did not
          see the HD promo.

          Has anyone seen this on KPIX?

          Thanks.

          http://greetings.yahoo.com/
        • Chris Rempel
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002

            droland wrote:

            I'm wondering if anyone has advice on antenna setup for receiving the
            San Jose KNTV signal in San Francisco.

            I've tried a couple setups so far.

              - An indoor radioshack vhf antenna
              - A Winegard YA-6713 50 inch CH 7 to 13 (on the same mast as my UHF-
            only Winegard antenna.  On a antenna rotator as I have trouble
            getting all channels in one direction)

            With the roof setup, the only signal I've seen on channel 12 is a
            very short burst as I rotate the antenna around (never long enough to
            display a picture; just a blip on my receiver signal strenght read
            out.)

            Any ideas? Given my lack of success with the 50" antenna, is there
            any reason to believe that a larger antenna would help? One cut
            specifically to channel 12?

            David

            Due to all of the hills in San Francisco, I would need to know precisely where you are in order to make any estimates as to what may or may not work. San Francisco is a difficult area and the majority of people will have a lot of trouble.  If you could give me you Latitude and Longitude in Degrees and minutes  xx deg xx.xxx min.  that would help.  Loma Prieta is 55 miles from San Francisco, so even if you have a clear shot, you would still need a large antenna.

            Chris

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
              Stephen Couch wrote:

              > I have yet to see the CBS HD Promo on KPIX.
              <snip>
              > Has anyone seen this on KPIX?

              I've seen it once on 'PIX, and that was about a
              month and a half ago during "CSI" or "Agency"...
              can't remember which. I wasn't paying that much
              attention at the time, but after seeing all the
              posts about it on the AVS board, I'd like to see
              it again.

              Larry
            • R8der
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
                Get a Hipix and I can get you a copy of it. They show it ad nauseam on the
                CBS affiliate in Sacramento. Thank god the Hipix has fast forward
                capabilities....if I had to watch that entire thing one more time I'd
                completely lose it!!!

                R8der