Re: KRON - HD

  • stephen_couch
    Message 1 of 16 , May 5 8:29 AM
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "sigua16" <sigua@h...> wrote:

      > Didn't notice any pixelation. But the picture did look very
      good.
      > Was surprised to find it.
      >
      > <cool98_2003@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't know if it is me or what. When the camera is not moving,
      > it
      > > look great but when the camera move around, you will see a lot of
      > > pixelization.

      I saw the blocking especially during movement. Did you see the movie
      that was on about some artistic kids? That looked very strange to me.
      The colors were blown out. Almost cartoon-like.

      I had to add 4.2 to my channel list to watch the news.
    • Michael-Reilly@att.net
      Message 2 of 16 , May 6 9:23 AM
        I saw a similar tape last night - awful. So much pixelization I couldn't watch. If I was them I'd go back to upconverting the NTSC signal like they used to do.

        michael

        --
        ---- ---- ----
        Michael Reilly

        > I don't know if it is me or what. When the camera is not moving, it
        > look great but when the camera move around, you will see a lot of
        > pixelization.
        >

        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@p...>
        > wrote:
        > > I was just flipping channels and KRON (4-1) is showing a HDNet
        > tape
        > > of the Princeton-Penn basketball game in high definition. It
        > looks
        > > pretty good to. Not as clean and tight as HDNet originals, but
        > not
        > > bad either. KRON must be doing some testing this afternoon.
        > >
        > > Bobby C
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joe Huber
        Message 3 of 16 , May 6 9:46 AM
          I sure it has to do with the allocated bandwidth (11Mbps). I flipped in on
          for a few minutes. It was ok until a quick pan, then lots of macro blocking.

          Message 4 of 16 , May 6 2:20 PM
            KRON analog had a KRON produced one hour show last night at
            10pm, "Where the Fault Lies" about local earthquake faults. Some of
            the footage was letterboxed on the analog channel, which made me
            wonder if it was in HD on the KRON digital channel. (Can't get any
            Sutro signals OTA where I am.)

            Anybody watch it on the digital channel?
          • bluesand_9999
            Message 5 of 16 , May 6 2:49 PM
              I glanced at it. 2-1 was showing HDNet college basketball stuff and
              2-2 was showing the program you mentioned in SD.

              Hong.

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "cristoforo007"
              <cristoforo7@h...> wrote:
              > KRON analog had a KRON produced one hour show last night at
              > 10pm, "Where the Fault Lies" about local earthquake faults. Some of
              > the footage was letterboxed on the analog channel, which made me
              > wonder if it was in HD on the KRON digital channel. (Can't get any
              > Sutro signals OTA where I am.)
              >
              > Anybody watch it on the digital channel?
            • Mark A. Skovmand
              Message 6 of 16 , May 6 8:27 PM
                Good to see some new HD on our OTA channels, and it
                looks great until something moves. Hopefully, KRON
                can up the 57.1 (2.1) allocated bandwidth for us.

                Anyone know the folks at KRON to ask?

                --Mark in West San Jose

                PS: BTW, got plenty of KRON signal (87%) on
                my old DTC100 here in SJ, they just need to
                send more of them there picture bits. ;o)

                --- "Joe Huber" wrote:
                > I sure it has to do with the allocated bandwidth (11Mbps). I
                flipped in on
                > for a few minutes. It was ok until a quick pan, then lots of macro
                blocking.
              • greenough38
                Message 7 of 16 , May 7 12:37 PM
                  I don't think it's a bandwidth issue. HDNetbasketball games have
                  always looked like that.

                  Remember when KRON showed the spirit of yosemite? That was what full
                  bandwith HD content should look like. Long (fixed camera) shots of
                  fast flowing river water and not a single artifact to be seen... When
                  KRON shows HD, they do a really good job. The current HDNet stuff
                  looking bad is not their fault IMO.

                  Best,
                  jeff

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Mark A. Skovmand" <marks@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > Good to see some new HD on our OTA channels, and it
                  > looks great until something moves. Hopefully, KRON
                  > can up the 57.1 (2.1) allocated bandwidth for us.
                  >
                  > Anyone know the folks at KRON to ask?
                  >
                  > --Mark in West San Jose
                  >
                  > PS: BTW, got plenty of KRON signal (87%) on
                  > my old DTC100 here in SJ, they just need to
                  > send more of them there picture bits. ;o)
                  >

                  > --- "Joe Huber" wrote:
                  > > I sure it has to do with the allocated bandwidth (11Mbps). I
                  > flipped in on
                  > > for a few minutes. It was ok until a quick pan, then lots of
                  macro
                  > blocking.
                • Mark A. Skovmand
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 7 4:37 PM
                    --- "greenough38wrote:
                    > I don't think it's a bandwidth issue. HDNetbasketball games have
                    > always looked like that.

                    Is that true about HDnet, that it always
                    looks like that? We have never viewed
                    DHnet before, so it's hard to believe HDnet
                    could get away from such a poor PQ feed.

                    Still think 11mbs is not enough for
                    quality HD. Could be wrong, but HDnet
                    should look far better, IMHO. It's
                    also obvious that the feed is being
                    compressed somewhere along the way,
                    if not only the last OTA leg.

                    --Mark in West San Jose
                  • R8der
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 7 5:59 PM
                      I've watched quite a bit of HDNet via C-band in the past, and it looked excellent!  I don't remember ever seeing any pixelization of anything.

                      The fireworks production they did with KTVU a couple of years ago is another story, that was complete crap...but mostly because the camera was out of focus most of the time.

                      My biggest complaint with HDNet sports productions was the heavy use of the star filter during night games.  Made any shots with lights VERY distracting.

                      R8der

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 7 9:04 PM
                        I have watched HDNET direct over Cband and also on Dish. It never looked
                        like what KRON is showing. You can't do fast motion 1080i in 11 Mbps.

                        > I don't think it's a bandwidth issue. HDNetbasketball games have
                        > always looked like that.

                        Is that true about HDnet, that it always
                        looks like that? We have never viewed
                        DHnet before, so it's hard to believe HDnet
                        could get away from such a poor PQ feed.

                        Still think 11mbs is not enough for
                        quality HD. Could be wrong, but HDnet
                        should look far better, IMHO. It's
                        also obvious that the feed is being
                        compressed somewhere along the way,
                        if not only the last OTA leg.

                        --Mark in West San Jose

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • DAve
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 10 12:16 PM
                          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Huber" <meetthehubers@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > I have watched HDNET direct over Cband and also on Dish. It never
                          looked
                          > like what KRON is showing. You can't do fast motion 1080i in 11 Mbps.

                          WB20 can't do it - KRON can't do it.

                          I have to agree - another high resolution, avergage definition
                          broadcast. Hope they work out how to improve the bit rate...

                          Cheers!
                          DAve.
                        • Don Hackler
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 10 1:45 PM
                            Joe Huber wrote:

                            > I have watched HDNET direct over Cband and also on Dish. It never looked
                            > like what KRON is showing. You can't do fast motion 1080i in 11 Mbps.

                            Maybe not with today's typical real time encoders... but it can
                            probably done by non real time
                            encoders that can take all the time required to crunch the video down to
                            a given bitrate.

                            Encoders keep getting better, these problems will eventually disappear.

                            - Don