Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: What are the options for NBC in East Bay area?

  • Jim Peters
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
      Perhaps I could suggest that the moderator, when approving newbies, could send a greeting message that mentions the Sutro tower daytime downtime, the NBC San Jose/San Bruno Mountain thing, and pointing to the website search capability ?

      R8der <r8der@...> wrote:
      nekas4 wrote:

      > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about this.  I thought
      > they have been doing this for awhile.   Only turning on the feed
      > after a certain time.   Antenna doctor was complaining that he will
      > not have the ability to test his installs.

      Ummm...it was a joke.  A few months ago?  This question has been asked
      about 20 times so far....the last one was about a week ago I believe.

      The point is, if you have a question about something HD related,
      particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that question has likely
      already been asked and answered...perhaps even numerous times.  The
      "search" feature does work.  I went and typed in NBC and got back more
      info than I'd ever want.

      If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same questions over and
      over....then the base of knowledge here is going to start leaving.....in
      droves.  If it weren't for the occasional nugget of fresh info....I'd be
      long gone.  I suspect thats true for others as well.....but it is
      possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this list.

      R8der

    • Maurice Moroney
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
        and if you'd only bothered to do a search for
        cantankerous asshole on the webpage you would have
        realised this..... :-)
        --- bobby6048 <bobcapl@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        For the umpteenth time, R8der, you are NOT the only
        cantankerous
        asshole on this list :-)....

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, R8der
        <r8der@p...> wrote:
        > nekas4 wrote:
        >
        > > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about
        this. I thought
        > > they have been doing this for awhile. Only
        turning on the feed
        > > after a certain time. Antenna doctor was
        complaining that he
        will
        > > not have the ability to test his installs.
        > >

        > Ummm...it was a joke. A few months ago? This
        question has been
        asked
        > about 20 times so far....the last one was about a
        week ago I
        believe.

        > The point is, if you have a question about something
        HD related,
        > particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that
        question has
        likely
        > already been asked and answered...perhaps even
        numerous times. The
        > "search" feature does work. I went and typed in NBC
        and got back
        more
        > info than I'd ever want.
        >
        > If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same
        questions over
        and
        > over....then the base of knowledge here is going to
        start
        leaving.....in
        > droves. If it weren't for the occasional nugget of
        fresh
        info....I'd be
        > long gone. I suspect thats true for others as
        well.....but it is
        > possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this
        list.

        > R8der

        Terms of Service.
      • Jim Peters
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
          Possibly the most cantankerous, if that's any comfort ...

          :)

          bobby6048 <bobcapl@...> wrote:
          For the umpteenth time, R8der, you are NOT the only cantankerous
          asshole on this list :-)....

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, R8der <r8der@p...> wrote:
          > nekas4 wrote:
          >
          > > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about this.  I thought
          > > they have been doing this for awhile.   Only turning on the feed
          > > after a certain time.   Antenna doctor was complaining that he
          will
          > > not have the ability to test his installs.
          > >

          > Ummm...it was a joke.  A few months ago?  This question has been
          asked
          > about 20 times so far....the last one was about a week ago I
          believe.

          > The point is, if you have a question about something HD related,
          > particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that question has
          likely
          > already been asked and answered...perhaps even numerous times.  The
          > "search" feature does work.  I went and typed in NBC and got back
          more
          > info than I'd ever want.
          >
          > If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same questions over
          and
          > over....then the base of knowledge here is going to start
          leaving.....in
          > droves.  If it weren't for the occasional nugget of fresh
          info....I'd be
          > long gone.  I suspect thats true for others as well.....but it is
          > possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this list.
          >
          > R8der

        • R8der
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
              I believe this has to do with the seismic retrofitting... and will go on
              for a few more months. KQED has been affected by this, but I understand
              also that they only shut off transmitters in the area where crews are
              working. And on days they don't work, the transmitters are left turned on.

              R8der wrote:

              >Hey....can anybody tell me why I can't get anything from Sutro during
              >the day?? What's going on here??? It's as if the signals down all day
              >for some reason?????

            • Dan Leitner
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                Yes, please do this, Randy or other moderator... It's also possible to
                create a welcome message to all new subscribers that tells them to
                search for answers before asking.
                The current FAQ(in files area) could be updated and also configured to
                automatically be sent to new subscribers.
                Just the Top 5 most asked questions would be great. Hell, that might
                cut the message volume in half.

                I'm not volunteering, but here's my suggestions.
                Sutro tower work
                KNTV Transmitter locations
                FOX Resolution
                Some Stations Digital commercials

                Dan Leitner

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Jim Peters <jim-peters@s...> wrote:
                > Perhaps I could suggest that the moderator, when approving newbies,
                could send a greeting message that mentions the Sutro tower daytime
                downtime, the NBC San Jose/San Bruno Mountain thing, and pointing to
                the website search capability ?

                > R8der <r8der@p...> wrote:nekas4 wrote:
                >
                > > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about this. I thought
                > > they have been doing this for awhile. Only turning on the feed
                > > after a certain time. Antenna doctor was complaining that he will
                > > not have the ability to test his installs.
                > >

                > Ummm...it was a joke. A few months ago? This question has been asked
                > about 20 times so far....the last one was about a week ago I believe.
                >
                > The point is, if you have a question about something HD related,
                > particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that question has likely
                > already been asked and answered...perhaps even numerous times. The
                > "search" feature does work. I went and typed in NBC and got back more
                > info than I'd ever want.
                >
                > If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same questions over and
                > over....then the base of knowledge here is going to start
                leaving.....in
                > droves. If it weren't for the occasional nugget of fresh
                info....I'd be
                > long gone. I suspect thats true for others as well.....but it is
                > possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this list.
                >
                > R8der

              • Chris Rempel
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                  I think this is a great idea, along with the creation of a FAQ page.

                  Chris

                  R8der <r8der@...> wrote:
                  nekas4 wrote:

                  > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about this.  I thought
                  > they have been doing this for awhile.   Only turning on the feed
                  > after a certain time.   Antenna doctor was complaining that he will
                  > not have the ability to test his installs.

                  Ummm...it was a joke.  A few months ago?  This question has been asked
                  about 20 times so far....the last one was about a week ago I believe.

                  The point is, if you have a question about something HD related,
                  particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that question has likely
                  already been asked and answered...perhaps even numerous times.  The
                  "search" feature does work.  I went and typed in NBC and got back more
                  info than I'd ever want.

                  If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same que! stions over and
                  over....then the base of knowledge here is going to start leaving.....in
                  droves.  If it weren't for the occasional nugget of fresh info....I'd be
                  long gone.  I suspect thats true for others as well.....but it is
                  possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this list.

                  R8der

                • Michael Skidmore
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3, 2004
                    Other suggestions for the Welcome message/ FAQ:

                    Why friends don't let friends shop for HDTV antennae at Radio Shack,
                    until they start carrying better equipment.

                    Same for Terk, and why saving $12 for one vs. a Channel Master or
                    Wineguard, etc. is not worth wasting your weekend to avoid potential
                    disappointment, reinstalls and returns. (insert disclaimer that for
                    every 5 disappointments, someone chimes in with how much they like
                    their's)

                    Generally agreed to work antennae setups. (CM+ wineguard, rotors ,
                    CH11-13 yagi's and Ch joiner)

                    Stations you can expect to get and stations you may not expect to get
                    if you blew $4K on a Plasma Projector, 1K on an HDTivo, another 1K on
                    a DVI capable STB and progressive scan DVD player, $5-15k on home
                    theatre sound system but were too cheap to spend another $50 to get
                    yourself a Ch11-13 yagi and joiner .

                    What to expect from indoor omni's vs. outdoor setups.

                    Links to the several great Bay Area HDTV webpages like
                    http://www.choisser.com/broadcst.html and
                    http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

                    Installers we know are qualified to do this kind of work (without
                    necessarily endorsing)

                    What may work if you live in SF and are getting too much signal or in
                    a valley and getting none.

                    Bay area stores, dealers and installers that stock CM, Wineguard and
                    other good equipment. > Chris, Schad, Fry's , Lasher's etc.

                    Just my two cents worth
                    Michael O. Skidmore