Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: What are the options for NBC in East Bay area?

  • Jim Peters
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2 3:35 PM
      Perhaps I could suggest that the moderator, when approving newbies, could send a greeting message that mentions the Sutro tower daytime downtime, the NBC San Jose/San Bruno Mountain thing, and pointing to the website search capability ?

      R8der <r8der@...> wrote:
      nekas4 wrote:

      > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about this.  I thought
      > they have been doing this for awhile.   Only turning on the feed
      > after a certain time.   Antenna doctor was complaining that he will
      > not have the ability to test his installs.

      Ummm...it was a joke.  A few months ago?  This question has been asked
      about 20 times so far....the last one was about a week ago I believe.

      The point is, if you have a question about something HD related,
      particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that question has likely
      already been asked and answered...perhaps even numerous times.  The
      "search" feature does work.  I went and typed in NBC and got back more
      info than I'd ever want.

      If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same questions over and
      over....then the base of knowledge here is going to start leaving.....in
      droves.  If it weren't for the occasional nugget of fresh info....I'd be
      long gone.  I suspect thats true for others as well.....but it is
      possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this list.

      R8der

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2 4:02 PM
        For the umpteenth time, R8der, you are NOT the only cantankerous
        asshole on this list :-)....

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, R8der <r8der@p...> wrote:
        > nekas4 wrote:
        >
        > > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about this. I thought
        > > they have been doing this for awhile. Only turning on the feed
        > > after a certain time. Antenna doctor was complaining that he
        will
        > > not have the ability to test his installs.
        > >

        > Ummm...it was a joke. A few months ago? This question has been
        asked
        > about 20 times so far....the last one was about a week ago I
        believe.

        > The point is, if you have a question about something HD related,
        > particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that question has
        likely
        > already been asked and answered...perhaps even numerous times. The
        > "search" feature does work. I went and typed in NBC and got back
        more
        > info than I'd ever want.
        >
        > If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same questions over
        and
        > over....then the base of knowledge here is going to start
        leaving.....in
        > droves. If it weren't for the occasional nugget of fresh
        info....I'd be
        > long gone. I suspect thats true for others as well.....but it is
        > possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this list.
        >
        > R8der
      • Maurice Moroney
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2 4:12 PM
          and if you'd only bothered to do a search for
          cantankerous asshole on the webpage you would have
          realised this..... :-)

          ---------------------------------

          <r8der@p...> wrote:
          > nekas4 wrote:
          >
          > > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about
          this. I thought
          > > they have been doing this for awhile. Only
          turning on the feed
          > > after a certain time. Antenna doctor was
          complaining that he
          will
          > > not have the ability to test his installs.
          > >

          > Ummm...it was a joke. A few months ago? This
          question has been
          asked
          > about 20 times so far....the last one was about a
          week ago I
          believe.

          > The point is, if you have a question about something
          HD related,
          > particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that
          question has
          likely
          > already been asked and answered...perhaps even
          numerous times. The
          > "search" feature does work. I went and typed in NBC
          and got back
          more
          > info than I'd ever want.
          >
          > If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same
          questions over
          and
          > over....then the base of knowledge here is going to
          start
          leaving.....in
          > droves. If it weren't for the occasional nugget of
          fresh
          info....I'd be
          > long gone. I suspect thats true for others as
          well.....but it is
          > possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this
          list.

          > R8der

          Terms of Service.
        • Jim Peters
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2 4:12 PM
            Possibly the most cantankerous, if that's any comfort ...

            :)

            bobby6048 <bobcapl@...> wrote:
            For the umpteenth time, R8der, you are NOT the only cantankerous
            asshole on this list :-)....

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, R8der <r8der@p...> wrote:
            > nekas4 wrote:
            >
            > > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about this.  I thought
            > > they have been doing this for awhile.   Only turning on the feed
            > > after a certain time.   Antenna doctor was complaining that he
            will
            > > not have the ability to test his installs.
            > >

            > Ummm...it was a joke.  A few months ago?  This question has been
            asked
            > about 20 times so far....the last one was about a week ago I
            believe.

            > The point is, if you have a question about something HD related,
            > particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that question has
            likely
            > already been asked and answered...perhaps even numerous times.  The
            > "search" feature does work.  I went and typed in NBC and got back
            more
            > info than I'd ever want.
            >
            > If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same questions over
            and
            > over....then the base of knowledge here is going to start
            leaving.....in
            > droves.  If it weren't for the occasional nugget of fresh
            info....I'd be
            > long gone.  I suspect thats true for others as well.....but it is
            > possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this list.
            >
            > R8der

          • R8der
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2 5:05 PM

              Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 4:12 PM
              Subject: Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: What are the options for NBC in East Bay area?

              and if you'd only bothered to do a search for
              cantankerous asshole on the webpage you would have
              realised this.....   :-)
              Mea culpa!  I'm just proud of my title of "Most Cantankerous"....and I have a long list of people the thank for this honor...starting with my mother and father....

              BTW, for anybody new....if you do a search for "Terk" and "crap"....my name will likely come up numerous times.

              R8der
            • Bill Taroli
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2 7:02 PM
                I believe this has to do with the seismic retrofitting... and will go on
                for a few more months. KQED has been affected by this, but I understand
                also that they only shut off transmitters in the area where crews are
                working. And on days they don't work, the transmitters are left turned on.

                R8der wrote:

                >Hey....can anybody tell me why I can't get anything from Sutro during
                >the day?? What's going on here??? It's as if the signals down all day
                >for some reason?????

              • Dan Leitner
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2 9:06 PM
                  Yes, please do this, Randy or other moderator... It's also possible to
                  create a welcome message to all new subscribers that tells them to
                  search for answers before asking.
                  The current FAQ(in files area) could be updated and also configured to
                  automatically be sent to new subscribers.
                  Just the Top 5 most asked questions would be great. Hell, that might
                  cut the message volume in half.

                  I'm not volunteering, but here's my suggestions.
                  Sutro tower work
                  KNTV Transmitter locations
                  FOX Resolution
                  Some Stations Digital commercials

                  Dan Leitner

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Jim Peters <jim-peters@s...> wrote:
                  > Perhaps I could suggest that the moderator, when approving newbies,
                  could send a greeting message that mentions the Sutro tower daytime
                  downtime, the NBC San Jose/San Bruno Mountain thing, and pointing to
                  the website search capability ?

                  > R8der <r8der@p...> wrote:nekas4 wrote:
                  >
                  > > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about this. I thought
                  > > they have been doing this for awhile. Only turning on the feed
                  > > after a certain time. Antenna doctor was complaining that he will
                  > > not have the ability to test his installs.
                  > >

                  > Ummm...it was a joke. A few months ago? This question has been asked
                  > about 20 times so far....the last one was about a week ago I believe.
                  >
                  > The point is, if you have a question about something HD related,
                  > particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that question has likely
                  > already been asked and answered...perhaps even numerous times. The
                  > "search" feature does work. I went and typed in NBC and got back more
                  > info than I'd ever want.
                  >
                  > If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same questions over and
                  > over....then the base of knowledge here is going to start
                  leaving.....in
                  > droves. If it weren't for the occasional nugget of fresh
                  info....I'd be
                  > long gone. I suspect thats true for others as well.....but it is
                  > possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this list.
                  >
                  > R8der

                • Chris Rempel
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2 11:04 PM
                    I think this is a great idea, along with the creation of a FAQ page.

                    Chris

                    R8der <r8der@...> wrote:
                    nekas4 wrote:

                    > I beleive there was a post a few months ago about this.  I thought
                    > they have been doing this for awhile.   Only turning on the feed
                    > after a certain time.   Antenna doctor was complaining that he will
                    > not have the ability to test his installs.

                    Ummm...it was a joke.  A few months ago?  This question has been asked
                    about 20 times so far....the last one was about a week ago I believe.

                    The point is, if you have a question about something HD related,
                    particularly if you are new to HDTV....then that question has likely
                    already been asked and answered...perhaps even numerous times.  The
                    "search" feature does work.  I went and typed in NBC and got back more
                    info than I'd ever want.

                    If every newbie gets on this list and asks the same que! stions over and
                    over....then the base of knowledge here is going to start leaving.....in
                    droves.  If it weren't for the occasional nugget of fresh info....I'd be
                    long gone.  I suspect thats true for others as well.....but it is
                    possible I'm the only cantankerous asshole on this list.

                    R8der

                  • Michael Skidmore
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 3 12:16 PM
                      Other suggestions for the Welcome message/ FAQ:

                      Why friends don't let friends shop for HDTV antennae at Radio Shack,
                      until they start carrying better equipment.

                      Same for Terk, and why saving $12 for one vs. a Channel Master or
                      Wineguard, etc. is not worth wasting your weekend to avoid potential
                      disappointment, reinstalls and returns. (insert disclaimer that for
                      every 5 disappointments, someone chimes in with how much they like
                      their's)

                      Generally agreed to work antennae setups. (CM+ wineguard, rotors ,
                      CH11-13 yagi's and Ch joiner)

                      Stations you can expect to get and stations you may not expect to get
                      if you blew $4K on a Plasma Projector, 1K on an HDTivo, another 1K on
                      a DVI capable STB and progressive scan DVD player, $5-15k on home
                      theatre sound system but were too cheap to spend another $50 to get
                      yourself a Ch11-13 yagi and joiner .

                      What to expect from indoor omni's vs. outdoor setups.

                      Links to the several great Bay Area HDTV webpages like
                      http://www.choisser.com/broadcst.html and
                      http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

                      Installers we know are qualified to do this kind of work (without
                      necessarily endorsing)

                      What may work if you live in SF and are getting too much signal or in
                      a valley and getting none.

                      Bay area stores, dealers and installers that stock CM, Wineguard and
                      other good equipment. > Chris, Schad, Fry's , Lasher's etc.

                      Just my two cents worth
                      Michael O. Skidmore