Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Would Comcast blacklist my Motorola 5100 if we tried this?

  • jet
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
      > i've always wondered about a similar situation. i have had a couple
      >of clients tell me that they have one direcTV account that serves several of
      >their homes. like, their house in the city has a tuner, which is where the
      >bill goes. then there are a couple of other tuners, one in the country house,
      >one in the mountain house. the cards for these tuners are on the same account,
      >listed merely as different rooms. this is surely against DTV policy. the
      >question though is, can they be caught? i'd like to be able to tell someone
      >if they are at risk, the next time someone tells me this.

      In theory, DIRECTV will shut down your IRD if it doesn't make regular calls to DIRECTV home base. I don't know if this has ever happened, but I have had to plug my IRD into a phone line to prove it was at the same location as my billing phone number. I think this is more likely when you do PPV on a regular basis.

      --
      J. Eric Townsend -- jet spies com
      buy stuff, damnit: http://www.spies.com/jet/store.html
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
        Regarding the dialing -- the word I got from a DirecTV rep was the
        box needs to dial to verify only paid packages, like HBO, PPV,
        CenterIce, etc., and the base TotalChoice packages will continue to
        work without a phone line. I found this out once when I went to
        watch a CenterIce game and my phone line had been unplugged for a
        while -- all the other channels worked, but none of the CenterIce
        games appeared. This was 3-4 years ago, although I don't think
        anything has changed.

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, jet <jet@s...> wrote:
        > > i've always wondered about a similar situation. i have had a
        couple
        > >of clients tell me that they have one direcTV account that serves
        several of
        > >their homes. like, their house in the city has a tuner, which is
        where the
        > >bill goes. then there are a couple of other tuners, one in the
        country house,
        > >one in the mountain house. the cards for these tuners are on the
        same account,
        > >listed merely as different rooms. this is surely against DTV
        policy. the
        > >question though is, can they be caught? i'd like to be able to
        tell someone
        > >if they are at risk, the next time someone tells me this.
        >

        > In theory, DIRECTV will shut down your IRD if it doesn't make
        regular calls to DIRECTV home base. I don't know if this has ever
        happened, but I have had to plug my IRD into a phone line to prove it
        was at the same location as my billing phone number. I think this is
        more likely when you do PPV on a regular basis.

        > --
        > J. Eric Townsend -- jet spies com
        > buy stuff, damnit: http://www.spies.com/jet/store.html
      • Rocky Mullin
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
          i was just thinking about this. tivo units need to call in regularly.

          At 10:11 PM -0800 3/31/04, jet wrote:
          > > i've always wondered about a similar situation. i have had a couple
          >>of clients tell me that they have one direcTV account that serves several of
          >>their homes. like, their house in the city has a tuner, which is where the
          >>bill goes. then there are a couple of other tuners, one in the
          >>country house,
          >>one in the mountain house. the cards for these tuners are on the
          >>same account,
          >>listed merely as different rooms. this is surely against DTV policy. the
          >>question though is, can they be caught? i'd like to be able to tell someone
          >>if they are at risk, the next time someone tells me this.
          >

          >In theory, DIRECTV will shut down your IRD if it doesn't make
          >regular calls to DIRECTV home base. I don't know if this has ever
          >happened, but I have had to plug my IRD into a phone line to prove
          >it was at the same location as my billing phone number. I think
          >this is more likely when you do PPV on a regular basis.
          >

          >--
          >J. Eric Townsend -- jet spies com
          >buy stuff, damnit: http://www.spies.com/jet/store.html

          Rocky Mullin | http://www.sharon.net/caliban/
          5 right opens long into 6 left plus tightens over crest 50

          "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket
          fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who
          hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
          President Dwight D. Eisenhower April 16, 1953 http://www.costofwar.com/
        • nekas4
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
            What happens if you are a cell phone only house?

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Rocky Mullin <caliban@s...>

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
              At 8:40 PM +0000 4/2/04, nekas4 wrote:
              >What happens if you are a cell phone only house?

              you need a land-line for tivo/DVR or PPV. this is just how it's
              set up; there's actually no technological reason that i can think of for
              why you need a phone for tivo. it should be able to get the schedule data
              in a burst from the satellite.

              --
              Rocky Mullin | http://www.sharon.net/caliban/
              5 right opens long into 6 left plus tightens over crest 50

              "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket
              fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who
              hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
              President Dwight D. Eisenhower April 16, 1953 http://www.costofwar.com/
            • sdm300
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                wrote:

                > you need a land-line for tivo/DVR or PPV. this is just how
                it's
                > set up; there's actually no technological reason that i can think
                of for
                > why you need a phone for tivo. it should be able to get the
                schedule data
                > in a burst from the satellite.

                Agree. Of course, tivos need to call home regularly to report how
                many times you viewed the Superbowl half-time show ;-)
              • Rocky Mullin
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 4, 2004
                  At 5:08 AM +0000 4/4/04, sdm300 wrote:

                  >Agree. Of course, tivos need to call home regularly to report how
                  >many times you viewed the Superbowl half-time show ;-)

                  yeah. privacy is so 1980s.

                  --
                  Rocky Mullin | http://www.sharon.net/caliban/
                  5 right opens long into 6 left plus tightens over crest 50

                  "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket
                  fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who
                  hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
                  President Dwight D. Eisenhower April 16, 1953 http://www.costofwar.com/
                • Casey Bates
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 4, 2004
                    your tivo can be connected wirelessly to broadband.