Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Multiplexing 2 antenna cables into one?

  • Wilson J. Chan
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 2, 2004
      Joe Keenan wrote:

      >On Mar 2, 2004, at 12:54 AM, Todd Hsiao wrote:
      >

      >> Since I also live in the south San Jose(Almaden
      >> Valley), I used my old indoor antenna and got
      >> 100% signal strength on 11.1 and 11.2! But nothing on
      >> other digital channels.
      >>
      >> So I'm wondering to myself: Is it possible to
      >> multiplex the 2 antenna cables into one and feed that
      >> into my Samsung TS160 HD receiver, so I can receive
      >> everything?!
      >>

      >You need a combiner. I'm not sure which one. Someone else on the list
      >should be able to suggest something.
      >
      >joe

      11.1 and 11.2 are actually VHF channel 12 physically. I got my combiner
      from Schad Electronics in San Jose. It's Channel Master branded and I
      believe it's the JOIN-TENNA 0582. Tell Schad you want to combine KNTV
      digital and they should know what you need.

      --wilson

      --wilson
    • Todd Hsiao
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 2, 2004
        The antenna I got for Sutro is RadioShack VU-190 XR.

        --- Joe Keenan <joe@...> wrote:

        > On Mar 2, 2004, at 12:54 AM, Todd Hsiao wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I set up an outdoor antenna last Sunday for my HD
        > > monitor and found out that only the NBC11.1 is
        > > missing. I think the reason is because my antenna
        > is
        > > pointing to the north Sutro tower. The KNTV(NBC)
        > is
        > > located on the south San Jose.
        >
        > What antenna did you use to get Sutro?
        >

        > > Since I also live in the south San Jose(Almaden
        > > Valley), I used my old indoor antenna and got
        > > 100% signal strength on 11.1 and 11.2! But
        > nothing on
        > > other digital channels.
        > >
        > > So I'm wondering to myself: Is it possible to
        > > multiplex the 2 antenna cables into one and feed
        > that
        > > into my Samsung TS160 HD receiver, so I can
        > receive
        > > everything?!
        >
        > You need a combiner. I'm not sure which one.
        > Someone else on the list
        > should be able to suggest something.
        >
        > joe

      • Joe Huber
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 2, 2004
          Why don't you use a channel 12 cut antenna and joiner.

          Now for the shameless plug: I have a new in box Winegard CC 3613 and Joiner
          ( the joiner was connected for a few hours indoors and had no wear that I
          would like to sell.

          --- Joe Keenan <joe@...> wrote:

          > On Mar 2, 2004, at 12:54 AM, Todd Hsiao wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I set up an outdoor antenna last Sunday for my HD
          > > monitor and found out that only the NBC11.1 is
          > > missing. I think the reason is because my antenna
          > is
          > > pointing to the north Sutro tower. The KNTV(NBC)
          > is
          > > located on the south San Jose.
          >
          > What antenna did you use to get Sutro?
          >

          > > Since I also live in the south San Jose(Almaden
          > > Valley), I used my old indoor antenna and got
          > > 100% signal strength on 11.1 and 11.2! But
          > nothing on
          > > other digital channels.
          > >
          > > So I'm wondering to myself: Is it possible to
          > > multiplex the 2 antenna cables into one and feed
          > that
          > > into my Samsung TS160 HD receiver, so I can
          > receive
          > > everything?!
          >
          > You need a combiner. I'm not sure which one.
          > Someone else on the list
          > should be able to suggest something.
          >
          > joe

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Chris Rempel
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 2, 2004
            You know of course that 80% of that antenna is for VHF and not being used
            for HD. You probably went into Radio Shack and asked for the best antenna
            they have. This is like going into a Yugo dealer and asking for the best
            car they have, when you really wanted a porsche. I would return the antenna
            and if you insist on going to Radio Shack at least get the U-100 and point
            that at Sutro.

            Chris aka the antenna doctor

            > The antenna I got for Sutro is RadioShack VU-190 XR.
            >

            > --- Joe Keenan <joe@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Mar 2, 2004, at 12:54 AM, Todd Hsiao wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > I set up an outdoor antenna last Sunday for my HD
            > > > monitor and found out that only the NBC11.1 is
            > > > missing. I think the reason is because my antenna
            > > is
            > > > pointing to the north Sutro tower. The KNTV(NBC)
            > > is
            > > > located on the south San Jose.
            > >
            > > What antenna did you use to get Sutro?
            > >

            > > > Since I also live in the south San Jose(Almaden
            > > > Valley), I used my old indoor antenna and got
            > > > 100% signal strength on 11.1 and 11.2! But
            > > nothing on
            > > > other digital channels.
            > > >
            > > > So I'm wondering to myself: Is it possible to
            > > > multiplex the 2 antenna cables into one and feed
            > > that
            > > > into my Samsung TS160 HD receiver, so I can
            > > receive
            > > > everything?!
            > >
            > > You need a combiner. I'm not sure which one.
            > > Someone else on the list
            > > should be able to suggest something.
            > >
            > > joe
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Gary
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 2, 2004
              What is a "channel 12 cut" antenna?

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Huber"
              <meetthehubers@y...> wrote:
              > Why don't you use a channel 12 cut antenna and joiner.
              >
              > Now for the shameless plug: I have a new in box Winegard CC 3613
              and Joiner
              > ( the joiner was connected for a few hours indoors and had no wear
              that I
              > would like to sell.

            • Joe Huber
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 2, 2004
                It is an VHF antenna tuned to receive only the frequencies that make up
                Channel 11-13.

                > Why don't you use a channel 12 cut antenna and joiner.
                >
                > Now for the shameless plug: I have a new in box Winegard CC 3613
                and Joiner
                > ( the joiner was connected for a few hours indoors and had no wear
                that I
                > would like to sell.

              • Gary
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 3, 2004
                  Why not just use a 2-13 VHF antenna?

                  <meetthehubers@y...> wrote:
                  > It is an VHF antenna tuned to receive only the frequencies that
                  make up
                  > Channel 11-13.

                • E Frank Ball
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 3, 2004
                    On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:37:41PM -0000, Gary wrote:
                    } Why not just use a 2-13 VHF antenna?

                    Because the size of an antenna is inversetly proportional to
                    the frequency it needs to receive. Channel 2 is at 54 to 60
                    MHz, channel 12 is 204 - 210 MHz. So for the same
                    performance a channel 2 antenna must be four times the size
                    of a channel 12 antenna.

                    Because an antenna made for a specific channel will be
                    higher performance, smaller, and cheaper than one made to
                    receive a wide range of channels.

                    E Frank Ball frankb@...

                    } <meetthehubers@y...> wrote:
                    }
                    } > It is an VHF antenna tuned to receive only the frequencies that
                    } > make up Channel 11-13.
                    } >
                      > > It is an VHF antenna tuned to receive only the frequencies that
                      > make up
                      > > Channel 11-13.

                    • sueio
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 6, 2004
                        I tried to joining an "All channel" antenna pointing at Sutro with a
                        Channel Master 4228 antenna pointing at Fremont via a Channel Master
                        Join-Tenna "49" with no luck. Separately, the antennas will get FOX,
                        NBC, ABC, CBS, WB, UPN, PBS. However when joined, WB (frequency 19)
                        disappears. I returned the Join-Tenna to Channel Master for
                        diagnostic and they said nothing is wrong.

                        I am not convinced two antennas can be joined in the Bay Area. The
                        Join-Tenna suppose to filter out all but frequency 49 (Digital 48.1
                        and 48.2; however, it is able to also receive frequency 52, 45, 30,
                        29, and 19.

                        I am still looking for a solution.
                      • Matt Dralle
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 6, 2004
                          I'm over in the East Bay area namely Livermore and had the same
                          problem. What I did was use a UHF/VHF splitter backwards. The splitter
                          has one "input" and two "outputs" - one filtered for UHF and the other
                          filtered for VHF. I have two large standard TV antennas with rotors on the
                          roof and point one at Fremont and the other at Sutro. The Freemont antenna
                          wires in through the "VHF" "input" since its on Channel 12 which is
                          VHF. The Sutro antenna is wired in though the UHF "input" since everything
                          else is in the UHF bands. The "output" is then plugged into my HDTV
                          box. I found that running the leads from the antenna all the down into the
                          house and using the splitter right at the HDTV box gave me much better
                          performance than joining them on the roof.

                          In practice, the setup works "pretty" well. The pointing of the antennas
                          with the rotors is pretty specific, but it can be dialed in fairly
                          well. Some days, channel 12 comes in great but every once in a while -
                          like last night during the Jay Leno Show - it kept dropping out. Part of
                          my problem is the lousy OTA receiver on the Sony HD100.

                          Anyway, I picked up the reverse splitter from a local Radio Shack and I am
                          using two of the biggest TV antennas Radio Shack sells. I've been pretty
                          pleased with the performance and I get all of the Bay-Area HD channels.

                          Matt Dralle
                          Livermore, CA

                          At 10:16 AM 3/6/2004 Saturday, you wrote:
                          >I tried to joining an "All channel" antenna pointing at Sutro with a
                          >Channel Master 4228 antenna pointing at Fremont via a Channel Master
                          >Join-Tenna "49" with no luck. Separately, the antennas will get FOX,
                          >NBC, ABC, CBS, WB, UPN, PBS. However when joined, WB (frequency 19)
                          >disappears. I returned the Join-Tenna to Channel Master for
                          >diagnostic and they said nothing is wrong.
                          >
                          >I am not convinced two antennas can be joined in the Bay Area. The
                          >Join-Tenna suppose to filter out all but frequency 49 (Digital 48.1
                          >and 48.2; however, it is able to also receive frequency 52, 45, 30,
                          >29, and 19.
                          >
                          >I am still looking for a solution.
                        • Phil Ross
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 6, 2004
                            I have successfully joined a Terk 38 pointing to Sutro with an old Radio Shack 3 element VHF-only antenna pointed to Loma Prieta through a Join-Tenna 12 (0582), with very favorable results. I am in the Cambrian Park area of San Jose (southwest), and my antennas are pointing in almost opposite directions. I get KNTV 11/12 just great now, and have reduced my multipath problems to almost nil compared to when I was using a simple coupler to join the two.

                            Phil

                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 6, 2004
                              > I tried to joining an "All channel" antenna pointing at Sutro with a
                              > Channel Master 4228 antenna pointing at Fremont via a Channel Master
                              > Join-Tenna "49" with no luck. Separately, the antennas will get FOX,
                              > NBC, ABC, CBS, WB, UPN, PBS. However when joined, WB (frequency 19)
                              > disappears. I returned the Join-Tenna to Channel Master for
                              > diagnostic and they said nothing is wrong.
                              >
                              > I am not convinced two antennas can be joined in the Bay Area. The
                              > Join-Tenna suppose to filter out all but frequency 49 (Digital 48.1
                              > and 48.2; however, it is able to also receive frequency 52, 45, 30,
                              > 29, and 19.
                              >
                              > I am still looking for a solution.
                              >

                              > You must have been doing something else wrong, becase in other parts of
                              the Bay Area it works fine.

                              Chris aka the anteena doctor

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • sueio
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 6, 2004
                                You have an interesting approach. You are actually combining a VHF
                                and a UHF antenna together without using the Join-Tenna which is
                                designed to filter out all but one frequency (in theory but not in
                                practice). I'll give it a try however I don't think it will work
                                for me because my signals are fairly strong. I don't have the
                                natural attenuation you are getting from Livermore.

                                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Matt Dralle <dralle@m...>

                              • davedarche
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 7, 2004
                                  I have two antennas joined however, using the Channel Master join-
                                  tenna. I am using it to combine the UHF yagi pointed at Sutro and
                                  the VHF pointed at San Jose. Works very well. However, my vhf
                                  antenna is a "cut" ch 12, so it is already good at rejecting other
                                  signals. Adding the join-tenna that is tuned for Ch 12 assists, I
                                  suppose.

                                  Sounds like you might be getting the other signals off the back or
                                  side of one of the antennas. Why WB gets is cut out of the mix is a
                                  mystery, unless WB is really broadcasting on UHF closer to 48 or 49.

                                  Are you trying to avoid using the rotor, with the joining-concept?

                                  Dave D

                                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Rempel" <chrisrem@r...>
                                  wrote:

> [...]
                                • sueio
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 7, 2004
                                    WB is digital 19 so there is no reason for it not to be filtered by
                                    the Join-Tenna at 49.

                                    Using two antennas is more convenient that having to turn a single
                                    antenna with a rotor. An UHF only antenna at Sutro is not an option
                                    for me; I also need VHF from Sutro for my RePlayTV.

                                    Did you get a "cut 12" or a "cut 11" antenna for NBC? Brought it at
                                    Schad? Are you pointing at San Jose or Fremont?

                                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "davedarche" <ddarche@p...>

                                  • Rocky Mullin
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 7, 2004
                                      hye, that reminds me. i have a replyTV i've been meaning to sell.
                                      it's the 80 hour model (4508?) with commercial skip built-in. hit me up
                                      off list if there is any interest.

                                      --
                                      Rocky Mullin |
                                      http://www.e-sheep.com/ |

                                      "The institution of heterosexual marriage will be undamaged, as it
                                      is now undamaged in Canada, Belgium and the Netherlands. Americans
                                      will learn to accept what they may not favor."
                                    • sueio
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 7, 2004
                                        The subject Join-Tennas passed the test bench test at Channel
                                        Master. I can think of two reasons why I am having less than
                                        satisfactory result. One, Channel Master tests the Join-Tenna with
                                        a oscillator which does not represent actual in-service loading
                                        condition. Two, my signal strength is beyond the capability of the
                                        Join-Tenna.

                                        I am on the West side of 280 with line of sight to Sutro and
                                        Fremont. My test data were collected with the antenna indoors.

                                        wrote:

> [...]

                                      • Mike Iimura
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 7, 2004
                                          The UHF/VHS splitter is very simple if I recall correctly. The UHF
                                          just has a high pass filter and the VHF has a low pass filter.
                                          Therefore there's no reason that it shouldn't work in reverse.
                                          Remember this is only useful to people in the Bay Area because KNTV-
                                          DT from Loma Prieta is on phsical channel 12. If you're trying to
                                          get it from Fremont on physical 49, this won't work.

                                          I would suggest hooking up the antennas separately and taking some
                                          notes on the reception results. Then joining them and comparing
                                          what you get. Someone may have some input for you if you post these
                                          results. I think the results from the 4228 with the joiner in line
                                          by itself would be interesting.

                                          - Mike

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 7, 2004
                                            > The subject Join-Tennas passed the test bench test at Channel
                                            > Master. I can think of two reasons why I am having less than
                                            > satisfactory result. One, Channel Master tests the Join-Tenna with
                                            > a oscillator which does not represent actual in-service loading
                                            > condition. Two, my signal strength is beyond the capability of the
                                            > Join-Tenna.
                                            >
                                            > I am on the West side of 280 with line of sight to Sutro and
                                            > Fremont. My test data were collected with the antenna indoors.
                                            >
                                            > I see the main reason it's not working; ITS INDOORS! try it outdoors up
                                            in the air and it will work much better, just like the one we put in today.

                                            Chris aka the antenna doctor

                                            > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Rempel" <chrisrem@r...>

                                          • sueio
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 7, 2004
                                              I don't think it matters if the test is indoors or outdoors. The
                                              test is for the Join-Tenna's filtering capability. If it works, it
                                              will work anywhere.

                                              I have found my best solution is with a single Channel Master
                                              Stealth with pre-amp. I point it in between Sutro and Fremont; about
                                              45 degree off of either tower. With the help of the pre-amp, I am
                                              now getting enough signals to lock on to all Bay Area digital
                                              broadcast.

                                              By the way, a Channel Master 4228 will not work. I think it is too
                                              directional to be able to pull in towers that are 45 degrees off.

                                              wrote:

> [...]
                                            • davedarche
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 8, 2004
                                                Sounds like you may have found your solution now. I think the "cut"
                                                Wingard I am using is for vhf 11-13. I bought it from Chris aka as
                                                The Antenna Doctor, on this forum.

                                                Dave D.
                                                Belmont