Re: satellite splitter question

    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
      If any of your DSS receivers have an RF out to channel 3 or 4, you
      could do it that way. You can also buy an RF modulater at Radio
      Shack and input composite outs from your receiver and then RF that
      signal to you other TVs.

      Bobby C

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Dugan" <dmdugan@h...>

    • Michael Larson
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
        In this case you need something different. It depends on a few things:

        1) How close are the 2 TVs that want to use the same DSS box?
        a) Close (same room)
        Most DSS receivers have 2 outputs, so you can use a second output for
        the second TV.

        b) Far (different room)
        You will likely need to use modulation for this. I am not sure, as I
        have not wired my house in this way. The link below covers modulation
        which will place your DSS output onto a given channel on a coax run
        through out your house.
        http://www.hometech.com/learn/dss.html#single

        Note that the modulation scheme will not work for HDTV since the
        modulation only covers NTSC. So if you are looking for NTSC, go ahead
        with a splitter, if you want HDTV, let me know when you find a cost
        effective solution, as there is not one today.

        There are a few ideas about how to deliver HiDef over a larger range,
        but nothing is out in the market yet, and the copy protection scheme
        could defeat things here if it is not done correctly. Basically, since
        HDTV is already digital any number of existing digital interconnects
        could be used to transport a HD stream 1394 has been a player, but the
        move to Encrypted DVI has changed the picture somewhat. This is
        somewhat unfortunate as there are already transceivers which convert
        1394 to Fibre and back again, so if 1394 were used you could achieve a
        home distribution network quite easily. Another option is Wireless,
        which to my knowledge has not been tried yet, but in theory could work
        since it is just bits... So long as the bandwidth is there, and the
        transport is reliable, moving HDTV around is no different than the
        internet, it's just data.

        -larson

        On Feb 29, 2004, at 11:18 PM, Dan Dugan wrote:

        > Thanks for the info. I read through the specs. and I still am a bit
        > confused by the technical details. I think I may be trying something
        > that won't work. I am trying to take the output from one DSS receiver
        > and send it to 2 t.v's that would view the same program. I don't think
        > can take a satellite feed and split it prior to going into a DSS
        > receiver if only one of the tv's has a DSS receiver. I've only got 4
        > DSS receivers and 6 t.v's. Do you think there is anyway to accomplish
        > what I've described? Thanks again for your help.
      • Swank, Richard (NBC, KNTV)
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
          It would require a "L" Band splitter with diode mixing of DC power most likely.  The satellite pre-amp located up on the antenna receives it's power from the actual cable running up to the antenna.  The preamp then puts out a down converted spectrum of frequencies that a receiver can select from.  If you are running multiple receivers on a single preamp it requires that the DC power be diode mixed so that any one of the receivers being turned on will supply the needed power to operate the preamp.  The signal out of the Preamp is usually "L" band or around 940 to 1400 Mhz and any good quality satellite splitter can handle this.  Yes multiple receivers can share a common LNB but the LNB requires power to operate.

          I'm not as familiar with DBS systems but I don't believe they reinvented the wheel to make it difficult, although they do sell antennas with multiple preamps with the idea you can connect multiple receivers easily with out splitting the signal.
          Then, you should be able to use a standard RF/Cable splitter, as
          mentioned in my previous post.

          Connect the RF Output from the Sat receiver (the one marked "To TV"
          to the input of the splitter. Connect the two outputs of the RF
          splitter to the antenna inputs of the two TV's. Simple.

          If that is what you tried, but failed, then you may have a bad
          splitter or cable. A new 2-way splitter is only a couple bucks. Radio
          Shack. Fry's. Even Home Depot has them.

          wrote:
          > Michael,
          > Thanks for the info.  I read through the specs. and I still am a bit
          > confused by the technical details. I think I may be trying something
          > that won't work.  I am trying to take the output from one DSS
          receiver
          > and send it to 2 t.v's that would view the same program. I don't
          think I
          > can take a satellite feed and split it prior to going into a DSS
          > receiver if only one of the tv's has a DSS receiver.  I've only got
          4
          > DSS receivers and 6 t.v's.  Do you think there is anyway to
          accomplish
          > what I've described?  Thanks again for your help.
          >
          > Dan

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
            The guy is just trying to send the signal from the output of one
            satellite receiver to two TV's.

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Swank, Richard (NBC, KNTV)"
            <Richard.Swank@n...> wrote:
            > It would require a "L" Band splitter with diode mixing of DC power
            most
            > likely. The satellite pre-amp located up on the antenna receives
            it's power
            > from the actual cable running up to the antenna. The preamp then
            puts out a
            > down converted spectrum of frequencies that a receiver can select
            from. If
            > you are running multiple receivers on a single preamp it requires
            that the
            > DC power be diode mixed so that any one of the receivers being
            turned on
            > will supply the needed power to operate the preamp. The signal out
            of the
            > Preamp is usually "L" band or around 940 to 1400 Mhz and any good
            quality
            > satellite splitter can handle this. Yes multiple receivers can
            share a
            > common LNB but the LNB requires power to operate.
            >
            > I'm not as familiar with DBS systems but I don't believe they
            reinvented the
            > wheel to make it difficult, although they do sell antennas with
            multiple
            > preamps with the idea you can connect multiple receivers easily
            with out
            > splitting the signal.

            M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egroupweb
            > /S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=881237855>
            >

            > _____

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • Chris Rempel
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
              Richard,
                  Your explanation of how DBS systems is mostly correct (though a little too technical for most) except Directv and Dish throw in one more complicating factor.  In order to control the polar rotor, i.e. select either horizontal or vertical polarization they send either 18V or 13V to the LNB.  This then requires the use of a multiswitch to have more than two receivers control a dual LNB (one for horizontal, one for vertical) Multiswitches come in a variety of configurations the most common being two in and four out.  They are also available with six and eight outputs.

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
                Dan wrote:
                > I am trying to take the output from one DSS receiver and send it to
                > 2 t.v's that would view the same program. I don't think I can take
                > a satellite feed and split it prior to going into a DSS receiver...

                You're right... you have to take the RF output of the receiver to feed
                the TV sets. A direct feed off the dish antenna won't work.

                I've only got one receiver, but I've got three TVs. I took the RF
                output of the receiver and tied it into the coax wiring for the former
                cable TV feed. (The cable had been disconnected.) It works great! I
                get the output of the satellite receiver on channel 3, and since I'm
                close to Sutro the cable is acting as an antenna and I'm getting good
                NTSC reception on 4, 5, 7, 9, 20, 32, 38, 44 and 66 as well. I can't
                watch channel 2. The signal from the satellite receiver wipes it out.

                The only problem is, it's a real pain if you want to change channels!
                You have to decide what you want to watch before you go to bed. :-)

                Larry
              • Rocky Mullin
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
                  At 11:02 PM -0800 3/1/04, Larry Kenney wrote:

                  >The only problem is, it's a real pain if you want to change channels!
                  >You have to decide what you want to watch before you go to bed. :-)

                  setting up an IR distribution system is cheap and easy, if you
                  want to be able to change channels. a little cat-5, and a few small
                  products from xantech and you're all set.

                  of you could get a multiswitch and a cheap standard def DTV
                  receivers and do it that way.

                  --
                  Rocky Mullin |
                  http://votetoimpeach.org/ |

                  "It is enough that the people know there was an election.
                  The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people
                  who count the votes decide everything." - Josef Stalin
                • Gary
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
                    The original poster hasn't said what satellite receiver he's using,
                    did he? If he's using Dish, some of their models already have RF
                    remote functionality, so control of the receiver can be done from the
                    other room without additional equipment.

                    Also, because he didn't specify brand/model, we don't know if he has
                    an RF (ch. 3/4) output to split signal to the two TV's. Chances are
                    he does, as very few satellite receivers are without an RF output.
                    So, again, getting the signals to the two TV's should be cake.

                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Rocky Mullin <caliban@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > At 11:02 PM -0800 3/1/04, Larry Kenney wrote:
                    > >
                    > >The only problem is, it's a real pain if you want to change
                    channels!
                    > >You have to decide what you want to watch before you go to bed. :-
                    )

                    > setting up an IR distribution system is cheap and easy, if you
                    > want to be able to change channels. a little cat-5, and a few small
                    > products from xantech and you're all set.
                    >
                    > of you could get a multiswitch and a cheap standard def DTV
                    > receivers and do it that way.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Rocky Mullin |
                    > http://votetoimpeach.org/ |
                    >
                    > "It is enough that the people know there was an election.
                    > The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people
                    > who count the votes decide everything." - Josef Stalin
                  • Dan Dugan
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004

                      Unfortunately I can’t get the outputs from the receivers to the location of the cable box without major reconstruction.  However, I have this amazing central cable location area where about twelve different cable lines come together.  Is an IR distribution (infra red)?  If so, how would that work.  I would really like to be able to change channels on the other two sets since the are very remote from the receiver box.  Could you give me some additional details.  Thanks. Dan

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004
                        Larry,

                        Pick up another UHF remote that is compatible with your receiver and
                        use it in the bedroom. That what I did.

                        Bobby C

                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@L...> wrote:
                        > Dan wrote:
                        > > I am trying to take the output from one DSS receiver and send it
                        > > 2 t.v's that would view the same program. I don't think I can
                        take
                        > > a satellite feed and split it prior to going into a DSS
                        receiver...

                        > You're right... you have to take the RF output of the receiver to
                        feed
                        > the TV sets. A direct feed off the dish antenna won't work.
                        >
                        > I've only got one receiver, but I've got three TVs. I took the RF
                        > output of the receiver and tied it into the coax wiring for the
                        former
                        > cable TV feed. (The cable had been disconnected.) It works
                        great! I
                        > get the output of the satellite receiver on channel 3, and since
                        I'm
                        > close to Sutro the cable is acting as an antenna and I'm getting
                        good
                        > NTSC reception on 4, 5, 7, 9, 20, 32, 38, 44 and 66 as well. I
                        can't
                        > watch channel 2. The signal from the satellite receiver wipes it
                        out.

                        > The only problem is, it's a real pain if you want to change
                        channels!
                        > You have to decide what you want to watch before you go to bed. :-)
                        >
                        > Larry
                      • Mike Iimura
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004
                          If you have twisted pair or phone line between the two locations, you
                          can use a combo A/V & IR distribution system. I use the following
                          product with good results. Due to the relatively low picture quality
                          I don't think I would use it with a TV bigger than 24 or 25 inches.
                          I connected it to my Tivo that's in the entertainment center
                          downstairs and we can watch and control it upstairs in the bedroom.
                          Since I got my Harmony remote, the Tivo peanut remote lives in the
                          bedroom.

                          http://www.terk.com/pdfs/LF10S.pdf

                          One more thing - my house is wired with all Cat5 and I don't use it
                          on the same pair as the telephones. I chose another pair and since
                          all my phone wires home run to a central wiring box I can isolate it
                          to the two jacks that are involved. I don't know how it will perform
                          if it is piggybacked on the phone and/or daisy chains around the
                          whole house.

                          - Mike

                          wrote:
                          > Unfortunately I can't get the outputs from the receivers to the
                          > location of the cable box without major reconstruction. However,
                          > I have this amazing central cable location area where about twelve
                          > different cable lines come together. Is an IR distribution
                          > (infra red)? If so, how would that work. I would really like to
                          > be able to change channels on the other two sets since the are
                          > very remote from the receiver box. Could you give me some
                          > additional details. Thanks. Dan

                        • azorglub
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                            Is there some kind of product to distribute my Tivo box programming
                            over my LAN to other TVs?

                            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iimura" <miimura@y...>

                          • kshep_sf
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "azorglub" <azorglub@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > Is there some kind of product to distribute my Tivo box programming
                              > over my LAN to other TVs?

                              The simplest way to do this is to have a Series2 TiVo by each
                              television and get the Home Media Option:

                              http://www.tivo.com/4.9.7.asp

                              There are do-it-yourself solutions for older units if you want to do
                              some Linux hacking and hardware installation yourself, e.g.:

                              A TurboNet card: http://www.9thtee.com/turbonet.htm
                              Along with MFS_FTP: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?
                              t=21915

                              -Ken