Re: satellite splitter question

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 29, 2004
      Then, you should be able to use a standard RF/Cable splitter, as
      mentioned in my previous post.

      Connect the RF Output from the Sat receiver (the one marked "To TV"
      to the input of the splitter. Connect the two outputs of the RF
      splitter to the antenna inputs of the two TV's. Simple.

      If that is what you tried, but failed, then you may have a bad
      splitter or cable. A new 2-way splitter is only a couple bucks. Radio
      Shack. Fry's. Even Home Depot has them.

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Dugan" <dmdugan@h...>

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
        If any of your DSS receivers have an RF out to channel 3 or 4, you
        could do it that way. You can also buy an RF modulater at Radio
        Shack and input composite outs from your receiver and then RF that
        signal to you other TVs.

        Bobby C

        wrote:
        > Michael,
        > Thanks for the info. I read through the specs. and I still am a bit
        > confused by the technical details. I think I may be trying something
        > that won't work. I am trying to take the output from one DSS
        receiver
        > and send it to 2 t.v's that would view the same program. I don't
        think I
        > can take a satellite feed and split it prior to going into a DSS
        > receiver if only one of the tv's has a DSS receiver. I've only got
        4
        > DSS receivers and 6 t.v's. Do you think there is anyway to
        accomplish
        > what I've described? Thanks again for your help.
        >
        > Dan

      • Michael Larson
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
          In this case you need something different. It depends on a few things:

          1) How close are the 2 TVs that want to use the same DSS box?
          a) Close (same room)
          Most DSS receivers have 2 outputs, so you can use a second output for
          the second TV.

          b) Far (different room)
          You will likely need to use modulation for this. I am not sure, as I
          have not wired my house in this way. The link below covers modulation
          which will place your DSS output onto a given channel on a coax run
          through out your house.
          http://www.hometech.com/learn/dss.html#single

          Note that the modulation scheme will not work for HDTV since the
          modulation only covers NTSC. So if you are looking for NTSC, go ahead
          with a splitter, if you want HDTV, let me know when you find a cost
          effective solution, as there is not one today.

          There are a few ideas about how to deliver HiDef over a larger range,
          but nothing is out in the market yet, and the copy protection scheme
          could defeat things here if it is not done correctly. Basically, since
          HDTV is already digital any number of existing digital interconnects
          could be used to transport a HD stream 1394 has been a player, but the
          move to Encrypted DVI has changed the picture somewhat. This is
          somewhat unfortunate as there are already transceivers which convert
          1394 to Fibre and back again, so if 1394 were used you could achieve a
          home distribution network quite easily. Another option is Wireless,
          which to my knowledge has not been tried yet, but in theory could work
          since it is just bits... So long as the bandwidth is there, and the
          transport is reliable, moving HDTV around is no different than the
          internet, it's just data.

          -larson

          On Feb 29, 2004, at 11:18 PM, Dan Dugan wrote:

          > Thanks for the info. I read through the specs. and I still am a bit
          > confused by the technical details. I think I may be trying something
          > that won't work. I am trying to take the output from one DSS receiver
          > and send it to 2 t.v's that would view the same program. I don't think
          > can take a satellite feed and split it prior to going into a DSS
          > receiver if only one of the tv's has a DSS receiver. I've only got 4
          > DSS receivers and 6 t.v's. Do you think there is anyway to accomplish
          > what I've described? Thanks again for your help.
        • Swank, Richard (NBC, KNTV)
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
            It would require a "L" Band splitter with diode mixing of DC power most likely.  The satellite pre-amp located up on the antenna receives it's power from the actual cable running up to the antenna.  The preamp then puts out a down converted spectrum of frequencies that a receiver can select from.  If you are running multiple receivers on a single preamp it requires that the DC power be diode mixed so that any one of the receivers being turned on will supply the needed power to operate the preamp.  The signal out of the Preamp is usually "L" band or around 940 to 1400 Mhz and any good quality satellite splitter can handle this.  Yes multiple receivers can share a common LNB but the LNB requires power to operate.

            I'm not as familiar with DBS systems but I don't believe they reinvented the wheel to make it difficult, although they do sell antennas with multiple preamps with the idea you can connect multiple receivers easily with out splitting the signal.

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
              The guy is just trying to send the signal from the output of one
              satellite receiver to two TV's.

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Swank, Richard (NBC, KNTV)"
              <Richard.Swank@n...> wrote:
              > It would require a "L" Band splitter with diode mixing of DC power
              most
              > likely. The satellite pre-amp located up on the antenna receives
              it's power
              > from the actual cable running up to the antenna. The preamp then
              puts out a
              > down converted spectrum of frequencies that a receiver can select
              from. If
              > you are running multiple receivers on a single preamp it requires
              that the
              > DC power be diode mixed so that any one of the receivers being
              turned on
              > will supply the needed power to operate the preamp. The signal out
              of the
              > Preamp is usually "L" band or around 940 to 1400 Mhz and any good
              quality
              > satellite splitter can handle this. Yes multiple receivers can
              share a
              > common LNB but the LNB requires power to operate.
              >
              > I'm not as familiar with DBS systems but I don't believe they
              reinvented the
              > wheel to make it difficult, although they do sell antennas with
              multiple
              > preamps with the idea you can connect multiple receivers easily
              with out
              > splitting the signal.

              M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egroupweb
              > /S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=881237855>
              >

              > _____

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              Service
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • Chris Rempel
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
                Richard,
                    Your explanation of how DBS systems is mostly correct (though a little too technical for most) except Directv and Dish throw in one more complicating factor.  In order to control the polar rotor, i.e. select either horizontal or vertical polarization they send either 18V or 13V to the LNB.  This then requires the use of a multiswitch to have more than two receivers control a dual LNB (one for horizontal, one for vertical) Multiswitches come in a variety of configurations the most common being two in and four out.  They are also available with six and eight outputs.

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
                  Dan wrote:
                  > I am trying to take the output from one DSS receiver and send it to
                  > 2 t.v's that would view the same program. I don't think I can take
                  > a satellite feed and split it prior to going into a DSS receiver...

                  You're right... you have to take the RF output of the receiver to feed
                  the TV sets. A direct feed off the dish antenna won't work.

                  I've only got one receiver, but I've got three TVs. I took the RF
                  output of the receiver and tied it into the coax wiring for the former
                  cable TV feed. (The cable had been disconnected.) It works great! I
                  get the output of the satellite receiver on channel 3, and since I'm
                  close to Sutro the cable is acting as an antenna and I'm getting good
                  NTSC reception on 4, 5, 7, 9, 20, 32, 38, 44 and 66 as well. I can't
                  watch channel 2. The signal from the satellite receiver wipes it out.

                  The only problem is, it's a real pain if you want to change channels!
                  You have to decide what you want to watch before you go to bed. :-)

                  Larry
                • Rocky Mullin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
                    At 11:02 PM -0800 3/1/04, Larry Kenney wrote:

                    >The only problem is, it's a real pain if you want to change channels!
                    >You have to decide what you want to watch before you go to bed. :-)

                    setting up an IR distribution system is cheap and easy, if you
                    want to be able to change channels. a little cat-5, and a few small
                    products from xantech and you're all set.

                    of you could get a multiswitch and a cheap standard def DTV
                    receivers and do it that way.

                    --
                    Rocky Mullin |
                    http://votetoimpeach.org/ |

                    "It is enough that the people know there was an election.
                    The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people
                    who count the votes decide everything." - Josef Stalin
                  • Gary
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004
                      The original poster hasn't said what satellite receiver he's using,
                      did he? If he's using Dish, some of their models already have RF
                      remote functionality, so control of the receiver can be done from the
                      other room without additional equipment.

                      Also, because he didn't specify brand/model, we don't know if he has
                      an RF (ch. 3/4) output to split signal to the two TV's. Chances are
                      he does, as very few satellite receivers are without an RF output.
                      So, again, getting the signals to the two TV's should be cake.

                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Rocky Mullin <caliban@s...>
                      wrote:
                      > At 11:02 PM -0800 3/1/04, Larry Kenney wrote:
                      > >
                      > >The only problem is, it's a real pain if you want to change
                      channels!
                      > >You have to decide what you want to watch before you go to bed. :-
                      )

                      > setting up an IR distribution system is cheap and easy, if you
                      > want to be able to change channels. a little cat-5, and a few small
                      > products from xantech and you're all set.
                      >
                      > of you could get a multiswitch and a cheap standard def DTV
                      > receivers and do it that way.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Rocky Mullin |
                      > http://votetoimpeach.org/ |
                      >
                      > "It is enough that the people know there was an election.
                      > The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people
                      > who count the votes decide everything." - Josef Stalin
                    • Dan Dugan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 1, 2004

                        Unfortunately I can’t get the outputs from the receivers to the location of the cable box without major reconstruction.  However, I have this amazing central cable location area where about twelve different cable lines come together.  Is an IR distribution (infra red)?  If so, how would that work.  I would really like to be able to change channels on the other two sets since the are very remote from the receiver box.  Could you give me some additional details.  Thanks. Dan

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004
                          Larry,

                          Pick up another UHF remote that is compatible with your receiver and
                          use it in the bedroom. That what I did.

                          Bobby C

                          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@L...> wrote:
                          > Dan wrote:
                          > > I am trying to take the output from one DSS receiver and send it
                          > > 2 t.v's that would view the same program. I don't think I can
                          take
                          > > a satellite feed and split it prior to going into a DSS
                          receiver...

                          > You're right... you have to take the RF output of the receiver to
                          feed
                          > the TV sets. A direct feed off the dish antenna won't work.
                          >
                          > I've only got one receiver, but I've got three TVs. I took the RF
                          > output of the receiver and tied it into the coax wiring for the
                          former
                          > cable TV feed. (The cable had been disconnected.) It works
                          great! I
                          > get the output of the satellite receiver on channel 3, and since
                          I'm
                          > close to Sutro the cable is acting as an antenna and I'm getting
                          good
                          > NTSC reception on 4, 5, 7, 9, 20, 32, 38, 44 and 66 as well. I
                          can't
                          > watch channel 2. The signal from the satellite receiver wipes it
                          out.

                          > The only problem is, it's a real pain if you want to change
                          channels!
                          > You have to decide what you want to watch before you go to bed. :-)
                          >
                          > Larry
                        • Mike Iimura
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004
                            If you have twisted pair or phone line between the two locations, you
                            can use a combo A/V & IR distribution system. I use the following
                            product with good results. Due to the relatively low picture quality
                            I don't think I would use it with a TV bigger than 24 or 25 inches.
                            I connected it to my Tivo that's in the entertainment center
                            downstairs and we can watch and control it upstairs in the bedroom.
                            Since I got my Harmony remote, the Tivo peanut remote lives in the
                            bedroom.

                            http://www.terk.com/pdfs/LF10S.pdf

                            One more thing - my house is wired with all Cat5 and I don't use it
                            on the same pair as the telephones. I chose another pair and since
                            all my phone wires home run to a central wiring box I can isolate it
                            to the two jacks that are involved. I don't know how it will perform
                            if it is piggybacked on the phone and/or daisy chains around the
                            whole house.

                            - Mike

                            wrote:
                            > Unfortunately I can't get the outputs from the receivers to the
                            > location of the cable box without major reconstruction. However,
                            > I have this amazing central cable location area where about twelve
                            > different cable lines come together. Is an IR distribution
                            > (infra red)? If so, how would that work. I would really like to
                            > be able to change channels on the other two sets since the are
                            > very remote from the receiver box. Could you give me some
                            > additional details. Thanks. Dan

                          • azorglub
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                              Is there some kind of product to distribute my Tivo box programming
                              over my LAN to other TVs?

                              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iimura" <miimura@y...>

                            • kshep_sf
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "azorglub" <azorglub@y...>
                                wrote:
                                > Is there some kind of product to distribute my Tivo box programming
                                > over my LAN to other TVs?

                                The simplest way to do this is to have a Series2 TiVo by each
                                television and get the Home Media Option:

                                http://www.tivo.com/4.9.7.asp

                                There are do-it-yourself solutions for older units if you want to do
                                some Linux hacking and hardware installation yourself, e.g.:

                                A TurboNet card: http://www.9thtee.com/turbonet.htm
                                Along with MFS_FTP: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?
                                t=21915

                                -Ken