Re: Concord OTA roof antenna?

  • rdmears
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7 2:49 PM
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Chris Rempel <chrisrem@r...> wrote:

      > We professionals tend to prefer equipment that is of
      > better quality and performance.
      ..
      > Winegard CA-9095 UHF corner reflector, and a Winegard CC-3113
      > Channel 12 10 element yagi. combined together with a UHF/VHF
      > combiner. It is better if you use a pre-amp mounted on the mast
      > as opposed to using an amp inside behind the set.
      > So you can use a Winegard AP-2870 that
      > includes a VHF/UHF combiner, or an AP-8700 that does not...

      Are there any stores in the area that carry these sorts of
      brands like Channel Master, Winegard, etc?

      Mail order is painfully slow, especially if you find out the
      item/model you picked doesn't work out for your location.

      ..rm
    • leo g. divinagracia iii
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7 3:54 PM
        i was at fry's (fremont) this weekend. i saw a few CM antennas there...

        --
        Leo G. Divinagracia III
        ldivinag@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7 6:13 PM
          Schad Electronic Supplies
          980 S 1st St
          San Jose, CA 95110
          (408) 275-6484
          Last time I called they where out of stock on the 11/12 Winegard and the Joiner.  The Joiner has been delayed until April.  (So what no Leno).

          Fry's carries some Channel Master.
          > We professionals tend to prefer equipment that is of
          > better quality and performance.
          ..
          > Winegard CA-9095 UHF corner reflector, and a Winegard CC-3113
          > Channel 12  10 element yagi.  combined together with a UHF/VHF
          > combiner.  It is better if you use a pre-amp mounted on the mast
          > as opposed to using an amp inside behind the set.
          > So you can use a Winegard AP-2870 that
          > includes a VHF/UHF combiner, or an AP-8700 that does not...

          Are there any stores in the area that carry these sorts of
          brands like Channel Master, Winegard, etc?

          Mail order is painfully slow, especially if you find out the
          item/model you picked doesn't work out for your location.

          ..rm

        • Chris Rempel
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9 9:56 PM
            Hello Victor,

            I ran your location through my program, and I attached a file which contains a terrain profile of lies between you and Sutro Tower.  I took those results and ran them through a program that I have that tries to predict how strong the signal would be given the terrain peramiters.  This is a simple program designed to deal with just one hill in the way and it tries to take into account the shape of the hill.  The results are marginal and iffy as to there accuracy.  All I can say is try a high gain antenna like the CM 4248 or Winegard 9095.

            vgonzalez1000 wrote:

             Hello Chris

            Here is the latitude and longitude(+37.977052,-122.019215)

            Thanks

            Victor

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Chris Rempel <chrisrem@r...> wrote:

            > vgonzalez1000 wrote:
            >
            > >  I live in Concord and my my question is what kind of roof antenna
            > > will I need to buy?
            > > I have in mind to purchase Radio Shack 15-2156 and
            > > 15-1113 20db amp.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Victor
            > >

            > Hello Victor,
            >         First of all Radio shack is not very good quality.  I  know
            > people like them because they are convenient, and they have a
            liberal
            > return policy.  We professionals tend to prefer equipment that is of
            > better quality and performance.  If you only want the San Francisco
            > digital stations you need a high gain UHF only antenna.  If you also
            > want NBC, then you will need a VHF antenna for that.  If you want
            to use
            > a combination antenna like the VU-190 then you will also need a
            rotor to
            > turn the antenna when you want to watch NBC from San Jose.  Now
            what I
            > think is a better solution is to use a UHF antenna and point it at
            San
            > Francisco, and a VHF antenna and point it at San Jose.  So the
            > combination that I have been using for digital only reception is a
            > Winegard CA-9095 UHF corner reflector, and a Winegard  CC-3113
            Channel
            > 12  10 element yagi.  combined together with a UHF/VHF combiner.
            It is
            > better if you use a pre-amp mounted on the mast as opposed to using
            an
            > amp inside behind the set.  So you can use a Winegard AP-2870 that
            > includes a VHF/UHF combiner, or an AP-8700 that does not.  There
            are of
            > course other combinations that should work.  You should of course
            mount
            > the antenna as high as practical, above all the surrounding objects,
            > including the trees.  If you give me your exact latitude and
            longitude,
            > I can run the numbers through my engineering programs and give you
            the
            > predicted signal strength.
            >

            > >                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • vgonzalez1000
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12 12:07 PM
              Thanks for all the support, I was able to receive HDTV from an RCA
              hdtv model F38310 using the Radio Shack 15-2156 antenna with a rotor
              pointing to NE.
              The antenna was installed in the roof with a 10-foot mask. Here is
              the strength for each channel:
              KOVR CBS 25 (Meter strength 65)
              KCRA NBC 35 (Meter strength 70)
              KXTV ABC 61 (Meter strength 69)
              I did not get stable reception from San Francisco Sutro tower and
              KTXL FOX 55 but I am not giving up get.
              Also installed Directv 18" x 24" oval multi-satellite dish
              and now I
              am receiving in HDTV the following channels:
              HBOH channel 509
              HDNet channel 199

              Thanks to all

              Victor