3074Re: KRON back to zoomed/stretched broadcast?????

  • anastrophe2
    Dec 4, 2002
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "bryn4ne" <bfourney@h...> wrote:
      > As far as burn in is concerned, if the TV is setup properly with
      the contrast as a reasonable level there shouldn't be too much of a

      *If* you are talking about non-CRT televisions, then it's true.
      Otherwise, you're taking a potentially expensive gamble if you watch
      a significant amount of tv unstretched on a 16:9 display.

      Even with properly adjusted contrast, brightness, etc., unstretched
      images have the potential of leaving behind "burned-in" side-bars
      (yes, as was pointed out, the bars aren't burned in, the image area
      is aged more than the blank area, but the effect is the same). Even
      gray bars can do this. Mitsu' recommends no more than 15% of your
      viewing time be spent unstretched. While I'm certain they are being
      conservative - primarily to cover their asses - I wouldn't consider
      going much above that.

      bottom line, NTSC looks like crap anyway, stretching it is a barely
      perceptible additional degradation of the image!
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic