3059Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: KRON back to zoomed/stretched broadcast?????

  • Jeffrey Sanders
    Dec 3, 2002
      Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: KRON back to zoomed/stretched broadcast????? It is always dangerous to use the word “dumb” describing other people.  We should look at our –own- comments before we speak!  As it turns out, the sidebars are NOT the part that gets burned in.  If the screen is black, it is not being used.  The burn in occurs on the part that does get used.  When you see a television that is ruined because of watching 4:3 content, the burn-in actually occurs in the middle, that is why the side bars appear brighter (because they haven’t been warn as much as the middle).  That is why some receivers like the dish 6000 give the option of grey sidebars so that the side bars wear more evenly as compared to the 4:3 content.

      On 12/3/02 10:29 PM, "anastrophe2" <yhgroups@...> wrote:

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Randy Bergen <Randy.Bergen@a...> wrote:

      > >  Some say that you will get used to the stretched images,
      > >but it seems to work only for certain (mostly static) contents.
      If things
      > >start to move, it feels like you are looking through some warped
      glasses.

      > Never try and get used to stretched images! That is just dumb.

      ahem. if one has a 16:9 television, watching unstreched 4:3 content
      is "dumb", unless you enjoy burned in vertical sidebars.

      fyi, "dumb" as a pejorative is offensive to those people who are
      handicapped by an inability to speak. They are not lacking in
      intelligence. Only 'dumb' people think that dumb people are stupid.