Your Personal Library at HASA

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      There are over 3600 stories on HASA waiting to be read. That's a lot
      of stories! Undoubtedly, you've run into a situation where you read
      one or part of one, and you want to go back to it, but you can't quite
      remember the author or the story name. You've used the search, but
      none of the results stand out. How do you keep track of those stories
      so you can go back to them any time?

      HASA has two ways to keep track of your stories, bookmarks and the
      Reading Room. Both of them can be found in the "My Library" section of
      both Stories and My Stuff. Here's how to use them.

      *Bookmarks* - Bookmarks are a great way to keep track of things you
      are reading right now. Think of it like the stack of books next to
      your bed.

      The bookmark list is a cookie on your computer that stores a list of
      up to 50 stories you are currently reading. Bookmarking is simple.
      Look for the bookmark icon - a green square with a yellow scroll.
      Click the icon. It will disappear, telling you that the story is
      bookmarked.

      Reading bookmarks - You can read your bookmarks two ways.

      1. Click on the button "Bookmarks" in the top dark green bar at the
      top of the page. You'll see a drop-down menu with links at the top,
      then a line, then a list of your bookmarked stories. It will even tell
      you which chapter you bookmarked!

      2. Some people with old browsers will not be able to use the drop-down
      list. Never fear! Go to either Stories or My Stuff. Look for the "My
      Library Link" in the left-hand column. Click it. The main page will
      show you a list of your bookmarks, plus give you the ability to clear
      it from the list, or to add it to your full Reading Room list.

      *Reading Room* - The Reading Room is a way to keep track of all your
      favourites over time. Think of it like a personal library, shelf after
      shelf of books. There is no limit on how many stories you can add to
      your Reading Room! 50 or 500, store them all.

      There are three ways to add a story to the Reading Room:

      1. If you have a story bookmarked, go to the main My Library page in
      either Stories or My Stuff. Click the link "Full List" next to he
      story name. It is added to the reading Room. *Adding it to your
      Reading Room doesnot remove it from the bookmark list.*

      2. If you are looking at a story overview, Look at the "Author Info"
      box. Right next to the bookmark icon is a link "Add to the reading
      Room". Click it, and the story is added.

      3. If you are reading a story chapter, look in the left-hand column.
      The last item in the column is "Bookmarks" and you'll see a "Add to
      Reading Room" link. Yup, you guessed it, click to add! Now, here's a
      neat trick. If you *already* have a story added to the reading Room,
      clicking the link again on a chapter page will link to that chapter.
      This way, on long stories, you can mark where you left off, and pick
      back up at that point.

      *My Library* - This is where the lists of your favourites are stored.
      As mentioned above, My Library is located in both Stories and My
      Stuff. Find the link and click on it. Bookmarks show first, just like
      you'll see featured books and magazines at a library. Click on the
      sub-menu link "Reading Room" to see all your long term favourites.

      In the Reading Room, you can also click a Bookmark icon to add an old
      favourite back to the bookmark list for quick access.

      Bookmarks and the Reading Room are similar - both are lists of
      stories. When should you use one over the other?

      1. Use bookmarks for stories you are reading now and want to access
      quickly. The Bookmarks menu is available at the top of every page, so
      no need to click around to find it.

      2. Use the Reading Room for stories you like to return to. You can
      only store 50 bookmarks at a time, so be sure to transfer them to the
      Reading Room for long term access.

      3. Use the Reading Room if you change computers a lot. The bookmarks
      are kept in a cookie stored in a particular browser, and won't be
      available unless you bookmark on all browsers. The Reading Room list
      is stored at HASA itself, and works no matter where you are or which
      browser you are using.

      4. Use the Reading Room to back up your bookmarks! If your browser
      eats your cookies, there goes your reading list. With the Reading
      Room, you can quickly restore your bookmarks.

      So - Be sure to put everything in your Reading Room, and stash your
      current favourites in the Bookmarks and you'll never be left going
      "What was that story again?"

      Happy reading!

      ***

      Challenges

      Have a look at the Challenges Bulletin for October! 10 Challenges are
      closing this month: maybe you have a story that fits one of them? Or
      maybe you have an idea for a new Challenge? - The October 2005
      Challenges Bulletin is waiting for you here:

      ***

      October

      Celebrate October's "holidays of Middle-earth today at HASA": how
      about a dwarvish drabble for Durin's day? Or a Hobbit story to
      commemorate the first blowing of the Horn of the Mark in Buckland?

      - Share your drabbles in the "Drabble Depository"!

      3rd – 2005: Durin's Day

      20th – first publication of "The Return of the King" 1955

      23rd – festival to commemorate the first blowing of the Horn of
      the Mark in Buckland (3019 of the Third Age)

      24th – End of the War of the Rings (Battle of Bywater) (3019 of
      the Third Age)

      ***

      Have a good week at HASA!

      Your HASA admin team