HASA news - Birthdays, Challenges, Stories

  • Nath
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 3, 2012

      June Birthdays

      Is your birthday in June, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

      Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at stories written for previous requests.

      The Story Pledge Challenge

      The Story Pledge Challenge has come to an end. A heartfelt thank you to everybody who took part, either by pledging an amount or by writing a story. All in all, ten stories were written for the Challenge, raising $325, which HASA’s Secret Admirer will match, for a total of $650! (That’s over four months of hosting!)

      You can read the stories that have been written for the Challenge here: Story Pledge Challenge stories

      May Stories

      All of us writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

      Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

      Many talented writers are publishing every day. In May:

      --- 5 Reviewed Stories were published or updated.

      --- 37 General Stories were published or updated.

      --- 2 Beta Stories were updated.

      (Please note, you need to be logged in to view beta stories.)

      Thank you for reading at HASA. Enjoy!

    • Nath
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2012

        July Birthdays and Challenges

        Is your birthday in July, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here. But that is not all! Be sure to read the whole message, because there are some changes to make writing Birthday Cards even more fun: from now on, you will be able to add the cards you wrote for your fellow HASA members directly to the annual Birthday Challenge. Also, during the first week of each month all birthday cards you wrote the month previous and entered into the challenge will be featured on the homepage, in honour of the birthday celebrants and to showcase your gifts.

        Keep an eye out for the HASA 10th Birthday Challenge, which will be posted today or tomorrow as well, and don’t forget this summer’s Nuzgûl of the Month…

        June Stories

        All of us writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

        Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

        Many talented writers are publishing every day. In June:

        --- 2 Reviewed Stories were published or updated.

        --- 33 General Stories were published or updated.

        --- 1 Beta Story was updated.

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 5, 2012

          August Birthdays

          Is your birthday in August, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here. But that is not all! Be sure to read the whole message, because there are some changes to make writing Birthday Cards even more fun: From now on, you will be able to add the cards you wrote for your fellow HASA members directly to the annual Birthday Challenge. Also, during the first week of each month all birthday cards you wrote the month previous and entered into the challenge will be featured on the homepage, in honour of the birthday celebrants and to showcase your gifts.

          Challenges

          The Nuzgûl of the Summer will run until September 1. Come and join in the fun!

          Don’t forget to read (and perhaps comment on) the stories written for HASA’s tenth birthday Challenge.

          July Stories

          All of us writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

          Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

          Many talented writers are publishing every day. In July:

          --- 6 Reviewed Stories were published or updated.

          --- 37 General Stories were published or updated.

          --- 3 Beta Stories were updated.

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 2, 2012

            September Birthdays

            Is your birthday in September, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

            Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at stories written for previous requests.

            Challenges

            Just as Challenges come from Prospective Challenges, Prospective Challenges come from Nuzgûl, and Nuzgûl need attention to grow from tiny ideas into big stories. Step into the Nuzgûl hutch. The bunnies don't bite (much). And who knows what ideas you may come out with?

            The Nuzgûl of the Month!

            The September Nuzgûl, Don't Worry, Be Happy, can be found here, and will run until the end of the month.

            Come on over to the Nuzgûl of the Month Workshop and join in the fun. If you've written a story for any of the previous months, don't forget to add it to the Playlist!

            August Stories

            All of us writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

            Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

            Many talented writers are publishing every day. In August:

            --- no Reviewed Stories were published or updated.

            --- 31 General Stories were published or updated.

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 4, 2012

              November Birthdays

              Is your birthday in November, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

              Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at stories written for previous requests.

              Challenges

              Just as Challenges come from Prospective Challenges, Prospective Challenges come from Nuzgûl, and Nuzgûl need attention to grow from tiny ideas into big stories. Step into the Nuzgûl hutch. The bunnies don’t bite (much). And who knows what ideas you may come out with?

              The Nuzgûl of the Month!

              The November Nuzgûl, Where was Glorfindel?, can be found here, and will run until the end of the month.

              Come on over to the Nuzgûl of the Month Workshop and join in the fun. If you’ve written a story for any of the previous months, don’t forget to add it to the Playlist!

              October Stories

              All writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

              Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

              Many talented writers are publishing every day. In October:

              --- 3 Reviewed Stories were published or updated.

              --- 21 General Stories were published or updated.

              --- 1 Beta Story was updated.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013

                January Birthdays

                Is your birthday in January, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

                Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at stories written for previous requests.

                Challenges

                Just as Challenges come from Prospective Challenges, Prospective Challenges come from Nuzgûl, and Nuzgûl need attention to grow from tiny ideas into big stories. Step into the Nuzgûl hutch. The bunnies don't bite (much). And who knows what ideas you may come out with?

                Story Pledge Challenge

                The Story Pledge Challenge is live!

                A reminder of how the Pledge Challenge works:

                Authors write original works, enter them in the Challenge, and promise to not post the stories anywhere except HASA for the month of January. For each story entered, readers pledge to donate a certain dollar amount, anything from $1 per story to however generous they are feeling, to HASA at the end of January. They can put a cap on the total donations they will give so they don't break the bank.

                If you'd like to give a total of $100, you can say "However many stories there are, I will donate $100 and divide that amount evenly," or "I'll give $1/$5/$10/etc. per story, up to a maximum of $100."

                You can even put in very specific pledges, for instance, you can say you'll donate $10 for each story that focuses on Bombur, or very general ones such as giving $100 if there are 10 or more entries in the challenge, or anything you like…

                The Story Pledge Challenge in the Forums:

                Entries

                Pledges

                General discussion

                The Nuzgûl of the Month!

                The January Nuzgûl: write something for the Story Pledge Challenge!

                December Stories

                All writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

                Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

                Many talented writers are publishing every day. In December:

                --- 1 Reviewed Story was published or updated.

                --- 27 General Stories were published or updated.

                --- 1 Beta Story was updated.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 3, 2013

                  June Birthdays

                  Is your birthday in June, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

                  Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at some recent ones.

                  Challenges

                  Just as Challenges come from Prospective Challenges, Prospective Challenges come from Nuzgûl, and Nuzgûl need attention to grow from tiny ideas into big stories. Step into the Nuzgûl hutch. The bunnies don't bite (much). And who knows what ideas you may come out with?

                  May Stories

                  All writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

                  Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

                  Many talented writers are publishing every day. In May:

                  --- 4 Reviewed Stories were published or updated.

                  --- 18 General Stories were published or updated.

                  --- 3 Beta Stories were updated.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 1, 2013

                    July Birthdays

                    Is your birthday in July, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

                    Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at some recent ones.

                    Challenges

                    Just as Challenges come from Prospective Challenges, Prospective Challenges come from Nuzgûl, and Nuzgûl need attention to grow from tiny ideas into big stories. Step into the Nuzgûl hutch. The bunnies don't bite (much). And who knows what ideas you may come out with?

                    The Nuzgûl of the Month!

                    The all-new July Nuzgûl, from Nath: Happy Turin – from an idea by Evilstorm over at LJ: Happy Turin... either a moment somewhere in between all he suffers (and inflicts) in canon, or an AU in which his life is actually happy. Give the guy a break, make him smile!

                    If you have ideas for Nuzgûl of the Month later this year, please post to the discussion thread as well. Ideas are always welcome!

                    June Stories

                    All writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

                    Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

                    Many talented writers are publishing every day. In June:

                    --- no Reviewed Stories were published or updated.

                    --- 22 General Stories were published or updated.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 5, 2013

                      September Birthdays

                      Is your birthday in September, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

                      Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at some previous ones.

                      Challenges

                      Just as Challenges come from Prospective Challenges, Prospective Challenges come from Nuzgûl, and Nuzgûl need attention to grow from tiny ideas into big stories. Step into the Nuzgûl hutch. The bunnies don't bite (much). And who knows what ideas you may come out with?

                      The Nuzgûl of the Month!

                      The all-new September Nuzgûl, from Nath: Hope on the horizon â€" Seemingly hopeless situations may not be as bleak as all that, or perhaps someone has false hope; hopes may be dashed, or come true...

                      If you have ideas for later Nuzgûlim of the Month, please post to the discussion thread as well. Ideas are always welcome!

                      August Stories

                      All writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

                      Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

                      Many talented writers are publishing every day. In August:

                      --- 23 General Stories were published or updated.

                      --- 2 Beta Stories were updated. (Please note, you need to be logged in to view beta stories.)

                      Thank you for reading at HASA. Enjoy!

                    • nath_kuijpers
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 8, 2013

                        (Prospective) Challenges, October birthdays and links to the stories written or updated in September

                        October Birthdays

                        Is your birthday in October, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

                        Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at some previous ones.

                        Challenges

                        Just as Challenges come from Prospective Challenges, Prospective Challenges come from Nuzgûl, and Nuzgûl need attention to grow from tiny ideas into big stories. Step into the Nuzgûl hutch. The bunnies don't bite (much). And who knows what ideas you may come out with?

                        September Stories

                        All writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

                        Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

                        Many talented writers are publishing every day. In September:

                        --- 32 General Stories were published or updated.

                        --- 1 Beta Story was updated. (Please note, you need to be logged in to view beta stories.)

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 1, 2014
                          Story Pledge Challenge
                          Why not take part in the January 2014 Story Pledge Challenge? Join in the fun: write a story or put up a pledge, or perhaps even both.

                          Following the course of the second Hobbit movie, the theme for this year is Sun, Shadow and Smaug. Bilbo journeys from the sunny slopes of the Misty Mountains into the deep shadows of Mirkwood, emerging from them to continue to the desolation of the Dragon. Gone are the certainties of the civilized Shire, evil lurks beneath the branches of the trees, and every step brings him closer to Smaug...

                          The Challenge: Write a story that is connected in some way with The Hobbit - the book or the movies - and that uses one or more of the three themes of the challenge - sun, shadow, Smaug - and post it on HASA. It can be anything you like as long as it ties in to something that happens or is mentioned or must have occurred given the events of the book or the movie. Of course there are some rules to the Challenge.

                          For authors:
                          - Your story must be a new story, never having appeared for the general public on any other web site
                          - Your story must be 500 words or more in length (combining drabbles is fine, length allowances made for poetry)
                          - Your story is posted exclusively to HASA in January while the Challenge runs

                          For those readers who want to pledge a donation:
                          - The pledge is per completed story posted to the Challenge - you can't specify that you'll only donate for an Elf story or one with Gollum in it, for example.
                          - A minimum of $1.00 per story
                          - No minimum on the total amount you're willing to pledge

                          Enter a story in the Challenge here.

                          The Story Pledge Challenge in the Forums: General discussion

                          Keep an eye out for the Entries and Pledges forums!

                          January Birthdays
                          Is your birthday in January, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

                          Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at some stories written for previous requests.

                          December Stories
                          All writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

                          Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

                          Many talented writers are publishing every day. In December:

                          ---15 General Stories were published or updated.
                          ---no Beta Stories were updated.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 6, 2014

                            April Birthdays
                            Is your birthday in April, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

                            Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at some stories written for previous requests.

                            Challenges
                            The Listicle Challenge, which started on March 25 to celebrate VmE Sauron Day, will run until the end of the month. Find all the details here.

                            Just as Challenges come from Prospective Challenges, Prospective Challenges come from Nuzgûl, and Nuzgûl need attention to grow from tiny ideas into big stories. Step into the Nuzgûl hutch. The bunnies don't bite (much). And who knows what ideas you may come out with?

                            March Stories
                            All writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

                            Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

                            Many talented writers are publishing every day. In March:

                            ---25 General Stories were published or updated.
                            ---no Beta Stories were updated.
                            (Please note, you need to be logged in to view beta stories.)

                            Thank you for reading and writing at HASA. Enjoy!

                          • nath_kuijpers
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 4, 2014

                              May Birthdays
                              Is your birthday in May, and would you like a drabble about your favourite character or topic? You can request it here.

                              Not sure what the birthday cards are about? Have a look at some stories written for previous requests

                              Challenges

                              Just as Challenges come from Prospective Challenges, Prospective Challenges come from Nuzgûl, and Nuzgûl need attention to grow from tiny ideas into big stories. Step into the Nuzgûl hutch. The bunnies don't bite (much). And who knows what ideas you may come out with?

                              April Stories
                              All writers love feedback. It is the lembas and miruvor that sustains us as we write our story, and leaving a few words about a story you read is always a nice thing to do, whether the story is new or old.

                              Every fifteen minutes HASA highlights a story chosen at random from the Reviewed and General stories in the archive. Read the currently featured story on our front page.

                              Many talented writers are publishing every day. In April:

                              ---16 General Stories were published or updated.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 1, 2014

[...]

                                ---13 General Stories were published or updated.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 5, 2014

                                  July Birthdays
[...]

                                  ---29 General Stories were published or updated.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 4, 2014

                                    July Birthdays
[...]

                                    ---41 General Stories were published or updated.