A Hopefully Helpful Guide

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2005
      This is a hopefully helpful guide about some difficulties all of us
      encounter again and again when we want to post a story.

      Summaries

      We all want readers who will enjoy our stories, and writing a good
      summary can help those readers find your story.

      Give a brief summary of your work, including any warnings you feel are
      appropriate. Be sure to use keywords that people might search by, such
      as genre modifiers (angst, mystery, parody, other sub-genre
      designations), story types (AU), or locations (Rivendell, Houses of
      Healing, Shire).

      If you include a list of your major characters, it will increase the
      searchability of your story. If you do not see your story's main
      character(s) in the selection list, please list the character(s) in
      the summary. The Resource Admin staff will be happy to add the
      character(s) to the database at your request .

      A Word about Warnings

      HASA members have a wide variety of interests - romance, action,
      humor, poetry, AU - and we are very proud of the selection of stories
      we have available to suit those interests. The easiest way for readers
      to find stories that they will like, and avoid the ones they won't, is
      through appropriate story summaries.

      Mature themes such as violence and sexual content, if present, should
      be always be included in the story summary. Beyond that, how much of
      your story plot you want to reveal is up to you, taking into
      consideration your intended audience.

      However, stories that say explicitly "No (whatever)" are expected to
      have none, whatsoever.

      Specific areas that readers may be interested in:

      Sexual content: Readers may want to know how explicit the scenes are,
      whether het or slash, consensual or not, etc.

      Ethical ambiguity: Readers may want to know if their favorite
      character, normally perceived as "good" or "evil", is going to be
      portrayed in a manner they might not like.

      Violence: Readers may want to know if there is violence beyond the
      level of the source material.

      We hope that this little guide helps a bit with the diffiulties of
      deciding what to put in the summary! If you still have questions about
      posting stories, take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions in "My
      Stuff" and the Stories Section and feel free to mail the Admins!

      Your
      HASA Admins

      P.S.: To be able to see and follow the links in this announcement,
      please log in at HASA and read [More] about this announcement on the
      Welcome Page.