Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Site Restored

Expand Messages
  • Anglachel Gurthang
    Beginning in the late afternoon of Monday, July 21, I received emails from a number of HASA site visitors that something was terribly wrong with the site.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25 10:28 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      Beginning in the late afternoon of Monday, July 21, I received emails
      from a number of HASA site visitors that something was terribly wrong
      with the site. Because of regulations at my workplace, I had to wait
      until I got home to view the site. My heart sank when I saw the errors
      affecting almost every page of the site. It was obviously malicious
      work, so I shut off the site to prevent further access.

      Looking at source code, I saw information that should not have been
      there - JavaScript snippets, strange URLs, and other text garbage. A
      quick Google search revealed the problem. There had been a worldwide SQL
      injection attack on ColdFusion sites that ran on IIS web servers. Many
      sites had been brought down and a lot of data had been corrupted.
      Luckily, the attacker had only tried to insert code to convert site
      links to go to his own web site, and had not tried to delete data or
      erase databases. The ColdFusion community had responded quickly. By the
      time I was looking for information, the exact attack had been
      identified, various clean up scripts had been posted, and I had the
      tools necessary to fix the database.

      What is a SQL injection attack? It is the nastiest, most destructive web
      site attack out there. In general terms, a coder takes a site form or
      URL, looks for a variable that appears to be an ID used by a database to
      locate a record, such as a story. Most database driven web sites work
      like this. The coder then resends the URL or form with a string of
      database commands (Structured Query Language statements) and tries to
      take over your database. If their SQL string is written well enough and
      if the database under attack is not protected, these commands can do
      anything from insert text to delete the entire database to (under very
      rare conditions) take over the server itself.

      ColdFusion has a number of features to foil SQL injections right on the
      server and there are coding practices to help prevent the attacks. Just
      over a year ago, I had spent a month retrofitting much of the site to
      protect the main data tables and search functions from attacks. However,
      real life demanded my attention, and I did not get all the tables
      protected. Some of the lookup tables, like Story Era, were still
      vulnerable, and that's where HASA was attacked. In addition, the SQL
      statement used for the attacks was very sophisticated and bypassed most
      of the server-level protections.

      The first thing to do was assess the damage. I ran some scripts and
      discovered there were 29 fields in 11 tables where trash data had been
      inserted. None of them affected the main story, forum, comment or review
      tables, which was a great relief. Also, non-HASA databases had not been
      affected, which meant damage was contained. Next, I ran a scrubber on
      those tables which located the bogus text and stripped it out. The
      biggest advantage here was that I did not have to run a restore from a
      backup, which would have lost content added to the site since the time
      the backup was run.

      Data restored, I now had to track down those vulnerability points in the
      site. That is what has taken so long as every individual page in the
      site that an external (not logged in) user can reach had to be examined
      for all database connections and then those connections had to be
      evaluated for whether they were injection points. After the pages were
      reviewed, corrections made, and new code posted to a hidden site for the
      testers to check for bugs, all the forms had to be gone over. Forms are
      more dangerous than URLs, though more difficult to compromise, because
      they are the most common way to insert data into a database. The forms
      were completed yesterday. After that, the revised code was merged with
      the production code, uploaded again to another protected test area and
      put through its paces. That went on until pretty late last night.

      There are a few glitches left. One form, the Knowledge Base search in
      the Research Library, could not be fixed and has been taken offline. The
      index search and all of the individual section lookups the Research
      Library are working. Also, the pop-up forum window attached to story
      pages will throw an error message if you try to use it. The Who's Online
      feature for logged in members does not appear to be working in
      production. There are a few conditions on a few forms we were not able
      to reproduce, so it's not 100% certain that they are working.

      More testing will continue over the next month to be certain all access
      points were caught and to fix any bug accidently introduced during the
      fixes. If you encounter an error message or you see something that just
      seems wrong on the site, please use the Contact form and send me an
      email at Tech Support.

      This was the worst technical problem the site has experienced in its
      seven year history because of the data corruption. We got away with
      correctable damage, but it could have been much worse had the attacker
      been trying to destroy data. My deep thanks and appreciation for the
      site members who alerted me to the attack and provided their assistance
      to get the site fixed.

      Anglachel
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.