HASA Announcement - Challenges, Funding, Drabbles, Resources

  • melayton@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2008
      Hey guys,

      There was a slight confusion between Arandil (the other volunteer who
      helps post announcements) and myself; we each thought the other was
      posting the weekly HASA Announcements. Sorry about that! Here's the
      highlights of what would have been posted the last two weeks, and I'll
      post the normal Sunday announcement starting this Sunday.

      HASA FUNDING UPDATE

      No website is truly free. HASA does not display ads or charge for
      memberships, but there are still costs associated with running the
      website. The website depends on member donations to pay its monthly
      hosting fee of $150.00.

      Currently available funding: 285.50
      To provide funding through: May 2008

      Ang asked me to pass on the following message about the First Quarter
      funding drive:

      "Since December 25th, when the drive started, site members and the
      public have donated $345. HASA's Secret Admirer has donated her original
      $200 pledge, and then has gone on to match every donated dollar for a
      total of $345. After Amazon and Pay Pal fees are deducted, this gives
      HASA $682.05 in new donations. Added to our base amount before the drive
      began, $203.45, HASA has a 2008 donation total of $885.50.

      All three Quarter 1 hosting payments have been made, for a total of $450
      in hosting costs. This leaves HASA with $435.50 for Quarter 2 hosting
      costs, only $15 short of all expenses through June."

      [Please note, this amount of $435.50 was before the payment was made for
      the April hosting fees. 285.50+150.00 = 435.50]

      If anyone would like to make a donation, you may do so at

      http://www.henneth-annun.net/about/donate.cfm

      *******

      BIRTHDAY CARDS

      The following members have requested a birthday drabble. If you're in
      the drabbling mood, why not write them 100 words as a birthday card?

      RS (April 4th) requested: "My favorite character is Aragorn. I would
      love to see a relaxed and fun Aragorn... or Aragorn on vacation! Or
      maybe Aragorn and Arwen in an argument (there's no such thing as a
      perfect couple!)."

      Ainaechoiriel (April 7th) requested: "In light of our now-started
      adoption process of a little girl from Russia[...], I request adoption
      stories. Please, not all Aragorn and Frodo[...] Anyway, orphans that
      needed care. And there were likely adults who chose to take them in.
      Let's meet some of them and find what's in their hearts. Interracial or
      intercultural is a plus.

      Larner (April 13) requested: "Following a perceived insult of some kind,
      Frodo has determined to play a prank on his friend Aragorn. It can be
      anywhere along the road. [...] One of the others may warn Aragorn of his
      peril, and that he's in danger of retaliation by a master of retaliatory
      pranks."

      Fliewatuet (April 29) requested, to mark her 40th birthday: "Since my
      all-time favourite character is Aragorn, I would like to read how he
      dealt with that age (or the Dunedain equivalent of 40). This can be
      anything from a birthday party to mid-life crisis. Though I wouldn't
      mind reading about your favourite character either."

      The following drabbles have been written so far this month:

      --- Symbols of Love by Larner for RS @
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/forums/messages.cfm?confId=0&forumId=482&messageId=51652#51686
      --- Paranoia is Sweet Revenge by Vistula the Dunadan for Larner @
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/forums/messages.cfm?confId=0&forumId=482&messageId=51652#51706

      If you have a birthday in April and would like a drabble about your
      favorite character or topic, you can request it at

      http://www.henneth-annun.net/forums/messages.cfm?confId=0&forumId=482&messageId=51652

      *******

      CHALLENGES

      There are no challenges currently open. Why not propose a challenge at
      the Prospective Challenges forum:

      http://www.henneth-annun.net/forums/threads.cfm?confId=5&forumId=5

      If five people are interested, we can get a challenge going. Or, if
      you're looking for something to write, check out the Nuzgul Hutch @

      http://www.henneth-annun.net/members/challenge/nuzgul.cfm

      (You'll need to be logged in for that last link.)

      *******

      This week's focus: RESOURCES.

      The HASA Research Library is a very useful resource for writers as well
      as for online discussions on book canon. You can find entries on
      characters, settings, events, and items, containing cited quotes about
      the item you are trying to find more information on. This portion of the
      site is available to both members and non-members at
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/resources/index.cfm.

      Would you like to get involved with Resources? If you like researching
      and want to help develop this section of HASA you can contact the
      Resources & Research Library through the contact form at
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/about/contact.cfm.

      What's new in Resources:

      Timeline Events:
      Reinforcements arrive from the Outlands for the Siege of Minas Tirith
      (March 9, 3019 T.A.)
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/resources/events_view.cfm?evid=1242

      Elvensmiths of Eregion begin to forge Rings of Power (c. 1500 S.A.)
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/resources/events_view.cfm?evid=3

      Character Biographies
      The Brandybucks
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/resources/bios_view.cfm?SCID=406

      Herb-master of the Houses of Healing
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/resources/bios_view.cfm?SCID=461

      Places
      Straight Road
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/resources/places_view.cfm?plid=550

      Imloth Melui
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/resources/places_view.cfm?plid=648

      Things
      Palantiri
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/resources/things_view.cfm?thid=180

      athelas
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/resources/things_view.cfm?thid=3

      Good luck researching your story! If you enjoy this section of the site
      please feel free to thank the researchers, listed at the bottom of every
      entry.

      And always remember, grasshopper: the path of wisdom leads through
      proper citations. *grins*

      Marta

      PS- Do you have something in particular you would like included in next
      week's announcement? If so, please email HASANews@....