HASA Announcement: Challenges

  • melayton@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2008
      Hey guys,

      A day late and a dollar short :-), but here is your weekly HASA update.

      HASA FUNDING UPDATE

      No website is truly free. HASA does not display ads or charge for
      memberships, but there are still costs associated with running the
      website. The website depends on member donations to pay its monthly
      hosting fee of $150.00.

      Currently available funding: $193.45
      To provide funding through: February

      If anyone would like to make a donation, you may do so at

      http://www.henneth-annun.net/about/donate.cfm

      *******

      BIRTHDAY CARDS

      The following members have birthday this week. If you're in the
      drabbling mood, why not write them 100 words as a birthday card?

      Jay of Lasgalen requested, "As most people know, my favourites are
      Elladan and Elrohir - but I'd like a drabble about one of the twins,
      alone. I'll leave you to decide why, and where the other might be."

      The following drabbles and ficlets have been written this week:

      --- "I Stand No Longer Alone" by Larner for Imhiriel
      --- several additions to "Fell and Fair" by Elena Tiriel for Jay of Lasgalen
      --- "Forged in Fire" by Jay of Lasgalen for Imhiriel
      --- "Renewal" by Elena Tiriel for Imhiriel

      Read all of these drabbles at
      http://henneth-annun.net/forums/messages.cfm?confId=0&forumId=482&messageId=51422.

      If you have a birthday in January and would like a drabble about your
      favorite character or topic, you can request it at

      http://www.henneth-annun.net/members/forums/messages.cfm?confId=5&forumId=482&messageId=50871

      *******

      QUICKIE CHALLENGE

      The quickie challenge "Remembrances" has another week to run. Write a
      story, poem, drabble, etc. about any character looking back on something
      happening in the past. This is in honor of New Year's Eve last week.

      The following story has been entered:

      --- Solstice by Vilwarin @
      http://henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter.cfm?stid=7328

      Get these nuzgul while they're hot! And when you write that story you
      know is already weaseling its way into your brain, be sure to tell us
      all about it here:

      http://henneth-annun.net/forums/messages.cfm?confId=5&forumId=5&messageId=51439

      *******

      This Week's Focus: CHALLENGES

      Birthdays!
      3th - Imhiriel: I'd like to get drabbles from the PoV of something that
      normally has no voice - a tree, a building, an heirloom, a landscape, a
      constellation etc. - time or place don't matter, but the more unusual
      the PoV, the better.

      7th - Jay of Lasgalen: As most people know, my favourites are Elladan
      and Elrohir - but I'd like a drabble about one of the twins, alone. I'll
      leave you to decide why, and where the other might be.

      Post your request at the Birthday Cards Forum
      http://www.henneth-annun.net/members/challenge/threads.cfm?confid=5&forumid=482

      Please create your story and add it to the birthday card workshop. This
      lets others put drabbles they write in an easily accessible location.
      Enter your story in the challenge for JANUARY drabbles. All birthday
      stories will also now be listed in a master playlist. There are
      instructions on how to do all this at the top of each thread in the
      Birthday Cards Forum; if you need help with the workshop, just ask the
      Workshop Manager, Gwynnyd.

      New Challenges
      Remembrances January 14 2008
      Write a story, poem, or drabble about any character (original or
      canonical) looking back on a past event. A short-term challenge for New
      Year's Eve, 2007.
      (Note, you must be logged in to HASA to visit this link.)

      Make a suggestion in the prospective Challenges thread. When five
      people accept, you have created a new Challenge

      Old Challenges
      X takes the Ring - AU Challenge March 25 2008
      I have seen a few stories over the years where for instance Galadriel
      takes the Ring when Frodo offers it to her. But what would happen if
      others were to take it, for any reason, good or evil? Aragorn? Boromir,
      Gandalf, or Pippin perhaps? Or Sam abandons Frodo at Cirith Ungol and
      goes on alone to try to destroy the Ring...

      It wouldn't have to be a member of the Fellowship; maybe Barliman
      Butterbur finds a golden ring in the room the Hobbits used, or Bilbo
      loses it on one of his walking trips in the Shire.

      These could be anything, serious, funny, dark; from drabbles to
      multi-chapter AUs, and anything in between.

      *******

      Happy writing!

      Fangedly yours,
      >:-E Marta

      PS- Do you have something in particular you would like included in next
      week's announcement? If so, please email HASANews(at)henneth-annun.net.